Goal? sorry no pictures.

Options
Ohnoes
Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
I know that people come here for the pictures (I do) but I'm not together enough for that. I did hit my goal this morning, I've lost 56 pounds since March and now I weigh 150. Started at 206. I am a 5 foot 7 inch tall woman. I was too fat, now I am not. I still have some work to do but I'm happy. I can fit into a size 8 pants from a tight 16. This is huge (lol).

I believe strongly that maintaining my new weight successfully involves understanding why I was fat in the first place. How I got fat, why I let myself. I was a normal, active child who evolved into a reckless, thrill seeking teenager. Long story. I self medicated my depression (genetic, strong family history) with stimulants and weighed 105 lbs at 20 years old. I was a mess, and way too many life experiences were crammed into those years. When I met my husband I stopped the drugs fast... he wasn't into it and I was into him. But my head was never right, so I drank. I ate whatever, not for comfort just because I was too lazy to be mindful of what I was using to fuel my body. Then I had kids and after each one I never lost what I gained. Then life slapped me around a bit, and amongst other things I lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly and I spent a year drinking myself to sleep and isolating, while going about the motions of being a functional human being, business owner, wife and mother. If it was not for my husband and two kids I would not have been able to drag my sorry butt out of bed each day... but as little as I took care of myself I am a natural nurturer, I existed by taking care of them.

What changed for me? My oldest son grew older and I saw myself in him so much that I resolved to be the best version of myself that I could possibly be. I may be a mess, I've been called eccentric, intense, hard to handle, but I am awesome! I have been dealt some bad cards but I was also gifted with incredible talents, I'm smart, I'm able. Im really good at my job, I strive for self improvement and perfection. Hey guess what? So are you. You are awesome, don't you dare forget it.

So I stopped drinking. And sleeping too much. That was the first thing. More time active, less calories from booze. Alcohol is a depressant. I tell myself this on a daily basis...it won't make you feel better. I started taking my kids hiking... first small hikes, then bigger and steeper. Now My seven year old can walk ten miles on rough trails without complaining. I started lifting my husband's weights, and doing regular cardio... this gave me more energy than sleeping too much ever did. I started enjoying my body and treating it like it is something special, rather than just a vehicle to drive my soul around in. I resolved to be the very best version of myself that I could possibly be.

Is it simple math? Calories in, calories out? To some extent yes, absolutely. But that formula is meaningless unless you know why you are the way you are. Is this an overshare.... maybe (lol), but this is how I did it and I want to share that. It's a simple formula with multi faceted underlying causes, and we each have our own. Find yours, and don't be afraid to really examine yourself, your motivations, your priorities, your reason for existing. Be the best version of yourself. Be mindful, be strong, be present.

Replies

• ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    well said. thank you for sharing
  • Ohnoes
    Options
    Hey thanks. Its nice to know that when i spill guts at least one peron is listening. Thx for your support
  • sunriseinchaos
    sunriseinchaos Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your story of self discovery is amazing and inspirational! I think too many of us "fix" the weight, but don't "fix" the mental issues that led to the weight gain to begin with. Discovering who you are, is even more important than any weight loss achievements.... Congratulations to you on everything!
  • Ohnoes
    Options
    Right? I see getting fit like recovery... its not the physical act of not drinking ( or overeating, or being underactive), its the change in mentality. This is why diets dont work. An addict doesnt quit for a while to get better, they change their way of thinking to get better, they reprogram. I reprogrammed myself away from self abuse and self destruction. In many ways. Its still in me, but im aware now and conscious of it.
  • Lynzigzagzay
    Lynzigzagzay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    well said. thank you for sharing
  • Ohnoes
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • DontWeightForMe
    DontWeightForMe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh boy..couldn't have said it better...its a big part of process that a lot of us don't consciously consider. Its amazing you wrote this because I have given this much thought this time around on this merry go round of weight lose. I've lost, hit goal & gained back a few times through my life & only this time I've made the connection of the mind, body & spirit.The emotional well being is a big part of the equation.Thanks for firing up this topic! I'd like to add you as a friend. Need more motivating, thoughtful friends:)
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Really amazing story. Its wonderful to see that being healthier physically has also helped you emotionally! You should be so proud of getting through all this. If you ever hit another bump in the road re-read your post, your success is a constant reminder that you can do anything you put your mind to :)

Congratulations!
  • Ohnoes
    Options
    Just saw the new responses. Thank you :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!