How to get more healthy calories

Options
2»

Replies

• mufamuscles
    Options
    I think 1670 might be your TDEE, not your BMR.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why 1670 is such an unbelievable number. I've lost over 50 pounds and Scooby's calculates my BMR as 1659 still. When I started it was more like 1850. My TDEE at sedentary is 1850 now; at lightly active it's close to 2000. This is how it goes if you're very overweight and not terribly short.

Speaking of Scooby's, OP, I'd recommend you use it. I don't have the link on my tablet but you can Google "scoobys workshop calorie calculator" and go from there. It's a great tool. Once you've used it to figure out your target calories, customize your MFP goals and start weighing your food. It'll work!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Hmmmm.... i must have missed where chasing 1 year old twins all day after a 9 hour sit down job....can you point it out which category will that be?

oh right...might be cardio

I use this spreadsheet, created by user heybales on MFP, to calculate my TDEE/TDEG: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE&usp=drive_web#gid=14

You'll notice that it says "Sedentary is base activity that is built on, which already includes weekly - 40 hr work sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 65 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking"

i.e. anything above and beyond this is no longer considered sedentary. If the OP worked her desk job and then went home and sat on her butt all evening, then yes I would say sedentary. I think the confusion here is that some people like to log all "exercise" that is in addition to the activity level based solely on their job. However, this is not how the TDEE method works. If the OP said she was sedentary, then accounted only for the time spent actually "working out", she would likely be undereating, because she is not taking into account other daily activity outside of her job.

This is why heybales' spreadsheet then asks for weekly totals (in minutes) for a variety of activities, including: How many hours a week of work or activity are you standing on your feet or moving somewhat like service trades or with kids?

See his thread here for more information, as he is much more qualified to discuss it than I am: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

//leaving thread\\
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    bmr 1670? daym! are you a giant?

lets recalculate that...need your
    -goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

I agree. I don't believe that is your BMR.
    I agree with these guys, that sounds too high for your BMR, and you do not look like a GIANT :bigsmile: in your profile picture. Maybe recalculate your BMR and TDEE?
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Hmmmm.... i must have missed where chasing 1 year old twins all day after a 9 hour sit down job....can you point it out which category will that be?

oh right...might be cardio

I use this spreadsheet, created by user heybales on MFP, to calculate my TDEE/TDEG: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE&usp=drive_web#gid=14

You'll notice that it says "Sedentary is base activity that is built on, which already includes weekly - 40 hr work sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 65 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking"

i.e. anything above and beyond this is no longer considered sedentary. If the OP worked her desk job and then went home and sat on her butt all evening, then yes I would say sedentary. I think the confusion here is that some people like to log all "exercise" that is in addition to the activity level based solely on their job. However, this is not how the TDEE method works. If the OP said she was sedentary, then accounted only for the time spent actually "working out", she would likely be undereating, because she is not taking into account other daily activity outside of her job.

This is why heybales' spreadsheet then asks for weekly totals (in minutes) for a variety of activities, including: How many hours a week of work or activity are you standing on your feet or moving somewhat like service trades or with kids?

See his thread here for more information, as he is much more qualified to discuss it than I am: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

//leaving thread\\

LOL !!!

you make it too complicated and stressing yourself out.
    we don't need to hit the exact numbers, estimates are fine.
    for the sake of chasing 1yr old TWINS for maybe another 1-2hrs , add 100-200 calories to bump up to "lightly active" status.

// for sure you still look at thread //