Psoriasis and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    I had psoriasis pretty badly when I was younger (~12-18 yrs old) .. It pretty much went away when I was about 18. I haven't had any problems with it since then. but one thing that helped with it, that I didn't see mentioned here, was using "dead sea salts " in my baths. ... that said, I'm not sure of why it "went away" for me (and I put "went away" in quotes since from what I understand, its a genetic condition, and so, I don't think it can be "cured").
  • aclowe01
    aclowe01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's a weird condition. We are all so different. A treatment that works for one won't have any effect on another.

It really is trial and error to find what helps for you.

Unless mine is on my face or hands I generally try to ignore it. I've never seen a dermatologist and only see a doctor at them times it bothers me.

I've had Psoriasis for over 30 years and I've found that, yes, it is a weird condition and not all the treatments work for everyone. I've eliminated 'night shade vegetables' and that has helped tremendously but i still have lesions and problems controlling psoriasis. Light treatments worked the best but they are expensive in a Dr.'s office so I use regular tanning beds and not the high end beds. Just the regular bed works great.

I was on Enbrel for 8 weeks and experienced a stroke so I'm totally off biologics. The doctors seem to push them but I'm done with them.

I use Grandma's Lye Soap - it does help as well as Neem soap. I also take turmeric capsules and they help to reduce itching and inflammation. I had to try several different types of turmeric to find one source that worked well for me.

Experiment with different options to see what works best.

Good Luck and don't give up.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The root cause of psoriasis is found to be vitamin D deficiency in many patients. It has been observed that vitamin D supplements have improved the skin lesions of psoriasis, like scaling and patches on the skin, within a shorter duration.

Vitamin D Analogues for Psoriasis.
    For psoriasis treatment, it is important to rule out vitamin D deficiency before beginning any other mode of treatment. Patients suffering from vitamin D deficiency should have regular exposure to the sun. The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can be cured or even prevented by taking vitamin D supplements. One remedy that can help the patients of vitamin D deficiency or psoriasis is Dovonex. This drug was formed to fill in the need of a medicine that could suppress the rate of growth of skin cells without disturbing the normal calcium metabolism. Dovonex arrests or reduces the fast growth of skin cells in patients of psoriasis, just like vitamin D, without affecting the metabolism of calcium in the body. It has a valuable role in treating patients of psoriasis as it does not have any side effects like other medications used for psoriasis. Dovonex cream should be applied to the psoriasis-affected part, 2 times in a day. Patients can see an improvement in the lesions of psoriasis within 4-5 weeks of application of this cream. Dovonex is a very effective medicine in treating psoriasis as it acts just like vitamin D.

This is VERY interesting. My husband is from Cuba and he was diagnosed about 18 months after coming here. We live in Michigan where we have little sun exposure for 6-8 months of the year. Wow, he goes to the doctor this week and he will be asking to have his VitD checked for sure!!
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but there is new information regarding psoriasis and weight. One patient who had lap band surgery said her psoriasis went away after surgery. I believe the correct word would be remission. Another doctor said that losing weight would improve psoriasis break outs.

I was interested in this because my psoriasis started 18 years ago, around the same time I started to gain weight. When I had surgery 2 years ago I lost some weight and my psoriasis went into remission. Had a regain and the psoriasis came back. Coincidence?

http://pittsburgh.icito.com/doctors-finding-increased-risk-to-other-diseases-in-psoriasis-patients/
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My dad had SEVERE psoriasis and went on the anti-inflammatory diet (no gluten, no nigh shades, no spicy food) and his skin was 100% clear in 1month. I thought it was BS when he started it but it really worked. I don't think there is any science supporting this, but if you're looking for something to try, it might help! Results were fast, so if you did it for a month, you'd know.
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My dad had SEVERE psoriasis and went on the anti-inflammatory diet (no gluten, no nigh shades, no spicy food) and his skin was 100% clear in 1month. I thought it was BS when he started it but it really worked. I don't think there is any science supporting this, but if you're looking for something to try, it might help! Results were fast, so if you did it for a month, you'd know.

Thank you for the info regarding your Dad. I have the book written my Dr Pagano who promotes this diet. I never tried it for any length of time, mainly because the foods you are to avoid seem to be the ones I like best! My remissions never seemed to have anything to do with what I was eating as my diet doesn't change much. I still have the book and might read it over again. Now that I know of someone who actually found improvement with this it might inspire me to try it out! It might help with my weight, also.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Thank you for the info regarding your Dad. I have the book written my Dr Pagano who promotes this diet. I never tried it for any length of time, mainly because the foods you are to avoid seem to be the ones I like best! My remissions never seemed to have anything to do with what I was eating as my diet doesn't change much. I still have the book and might read it over again. Now that I know of someone who actually found improvement with this it might inspire me to try it out! It might help with my weight, also.

Ha! My dad was the same way!! Until my mom found the book cleaning up and forced him to try it!! Good luck and I hope it works as well for you! After about 3 months, my dad has start adding back foods, and has at least managed to determine he can drink coffee and can't eat gluten. So your favorite foods are not (potentially) lost forever.