An Easy-to-Follow, Cheap Diet That Fills You Up Longer?

Options
2»

Replies

• stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Inherently when you don't generally know what's going on inside your body you tend to follow whatever diet is trending hoping that it will do its magic. Hate to break it to you but you have to start with the basics. We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch. Some of us begin our journey way out of shape and on all kinds of chemicals. Others begin with a basket full of allergies and sensitivities.

Despite your age we are all living in a toxic world. Toxins are in the water, food and air. Ingesting these toxins alters our bodies normal state.

Here are 12 steps to start with that will help you start living healthier. Try eliminating one of these at a time and see how your body responds.

1. Eliminate sugar - (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS) and all foods that contain flour and starches.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for calories that formerly came from sugar and flour.

3. Eliminate gluten grains and starches. Eliminate grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor. No bread. No foods made from flour better known as sugar. No white potatoes or other high starch foods which is converted to sugar once you eat them.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. Use no temperate plant oils like corn, canola, flax, walnut, peanut, etc.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your red meat. Eat High Omega 3 Free Range eggs and cold water fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D3 replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

7. Eating 2 or 3 meals a day is best. Don't graze like a herbivore.

8. Attend to your Omega 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. If you can't eat enough pastured products, eat plenty of cold water fish.

9. Get proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Eliminate those bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation. If you are not trying to lose fat, a few pieces of approved fruit a week after working out are fine.

11. Eliminate legumes - peanuts, soy, dried beans (pinto, lima, butter, northern, etc.). Legumes contain anti-nutrients, especially phytic acid and protease inhibitors, which hinder digestion and absorption of nutrients.

12. Avoid dairy products like milk and soft cheeses.

Good luck!

As soon as I started reading this I was like, "noooooooooooo!" lol What you have said is blasphemy for a lot of people here who have never done anything but calories in vs. calories out. It is not worth your breath to say these things here.

OP - do your own research and experiment, what works for one doesn't work for everyone. If you find a plan that looks interesting use the search up top to find a group who is doing it and ask your questions there where you will get more appropriate answers. The general forums are peed on and the territory marked by low fat/everything in moderation/calories in vs calories out gangs - you will get nothing but this.

Just because you "all" don't agree with my post doesn't make you experts or any better than anyone elese. Perhaps you didn't bother to read my first paragraph where I stated that exact phrase ---> let me requote "We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch." If you want research I'll give you research any day of the week. But just simply saying to eat more good stuff isn't solid advice.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate anything - just excess calories...Pleas do not fall in the trap of "sugar is evil, grain is evil, toxins are everywhere, and all the crazy stuff that will make you go and eat a pint of ice cream....

Do what writergeek told you - that works, it's sustainable and it's affordable...Eliminate obsessive "wheat belly, don;t eat this and that people" and you will be successful....

Crazy stuff? Please be specific.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you didn't bother to read my first paragraph where I stated that exact phrase ---> let me requote "We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch." If you want research I'll give you research any day of the week. But just simply saying to eat more good stuff isn't solid advice.

Just because you wrote the above paragraph prior to your advice, does not make your advice sound. I'm not saying this to personally attack YOU, I'm just clarifying that those comments have nothing to do with the practicality or validity of what you're suggesting.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate anything - just excess calories...Pleas do not fall in the trap of "sugar is evil, grain is evil, toxins are everywhere, and all the crazy stuff that will make you go and eat a pint of ice cream....

Do what writergeek told you - that works, it's sustainable and it's affordable...Eliminate obsessive "wheat belly, don;t eat this and that people" and you will be successful....

Crazy stuff? Please be specific.

You want a specific example?

Here you go:
    Inherently when you don't generally know what's going on inside your body you tend to follow whatever diet is trending hoping that it will do its magic. Hate to break it to you but you have to start with the basics. We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch. Some of us begin our journey way out of shape and on all kinds of chemicals. Others begin with a basket full of allergies and sensitivities.

Despite your age we are all living in a toxic world. Toxins are in the water, food and air. Ingesting these toxins alters our bodies normal state.

Here are 12 steps to start with that will help you start living healthier. Try eliminating one of these at a time and see how your body responds.

1. Eliminate sugar - (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS) and all foods that contain flour and starches.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for calories that formerly came from sugar and flour.

3. Eliminate gluten grains and starches. Eliminate grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor. No bread. No foods made from flour better known as sugar. No white potatoes or other high starch foods which is converted to sugar once you eat them.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. Use no temperate plant oils like corn, canola, flax, walnut, peanut, etc.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your red meat. Eat High Omega 3 Free Range eggs and cold water fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D3 replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

8. Attend to your Omega 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. If you can't eat enough pastured products, eat plenty of cold water fish.

9. Get proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Eliminate those bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation. If you are not trying to lose fat, a few pieces of approved fruit a week after working out are fine.

11. Eliminate legumes - peanuts, soy, dried beans (pinto, lima, butter, northern, etc.). Legumes contain anti-nutrients, especially phytic acid and protease inhibitors, which hinder digestion and absorption of nutrients.

Good luck!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you didn't bother to read my first paragraph where I stated that exact phrase ---> let me requote "We all have different starting points. We all have different metabolic rates, sensitivities, allergies, and genetics. For anyone to say "this absolutely does not work" or "this absolutely does work" is a stretch." If you want research I'll give you research any day of the week. But just simply saying to eat more good stuff isn't solid advice.

Just because you wrote the above paragraph prior to your advice, does not make your advice sound. I'm not saying this to personally attack YOU, I'm just clarifying that those comments have nothing to do with the practicality or validity of what you're suggesting.

The OP read "Wheat Belly". Slraya was the only one to give proper advice based on that book. While I'm not an "OMG toxins" person, the general dietary advice has helped me personally.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So, I was trying to follow the Wheat Belly diet for about a week. I tried to eat plenty of veggies, nuts and (limited) fruit. However, while it would fill me up initially, I would end up being hungry in about 30 minutes with just a serving size or two of each! I want to lose weight and follow a diet, I really do... But how do you do that? Not to mention wheat is in everything, so that severely limits my options on pretty much everything.

I want to know a cheap meal plan that will keep me fuller longer, with fewer calories.

First and foremost, I think you're going to be best off trying to establish habits that you can adhere to, and those habitual needs might vary from person to person depending on where your current dietary habits are.

You need to find a way to sustain a caloric deficit over time and you need to adjust whatever factors you can to maximize your chances of sticking to that caloric deficit.

So just for example, eliminating a laundry list of things from your current diet may not be the best approach IF the elimination of those things causes you to binge later on, or causes you to adapt an "all or nothing" mentality to your diet. Typically when this happens you end up treating your diet like an on-off switch. You're either nailing your diet, or you're doing a free for all and the net result is usually bad.

Now with that said, if eating certain food items causes you to recklessly over-eat, then short term elimination could be necessary or alternatively you can look at methods to improve your ability to use moderation. Not everyone is capable of including small portions of junk food in their diet, but many people are and many people can learn to over time.

If you're looking to maximize satiety and minimize hunger while dieting, I would consider an approach where the majority of your diet consists of whole food sources. Eat a fairly large portion of vegetables, eat several servings of fruit, lean meats like chicken and fish, and if you're capable of moderation, allow yourself some room for treats.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like to eat, but less of it.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So, I was trying to follow the Wheat Belly diet for about a week. I tried to eat plenty of veggies, nuts and (limited) fruit. However, while it would fill me up initially, I would end up being hungry in about 30 minutes with just a serving size or two of each! I want to lose weight and follow a diet, I really do... But how do you do that? Not to mention wheat is in everything, so that severely limits my options on pretty much everything.

I want to know a cheap meal plan that will keep me fuller longer, with fewer calories.

Ok for what ever reason you are trying to cut wheat..................there is NO reason you can't eat everything else. Meat, beans, fruit, eggs, veggies.

Are you seriously trying to survive on nuts and veggies only? you eat only carby/fatty stuff of course you are going to be hungry in a little bit. You gotta throw in some protein too.

edited for spelling :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • MstngSammy
    Options

Good luck!

Does not have anything to do with the OP at all js
  • MstngSammy
    Options

This^^^^^^This^^^^This
  • alysnyder
    alysnyder Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to add more healthy whole foods first, then take away empty processed foods second. Starting with eliminating food groups is much harder than tapering off of processed calories over time.

Keep some go-to snacks in the fridge (or office fridge) at all times and snack regularly. Raw green beans, baby carrots, almonds, brown rice cakes with peanut butter, pears, etc. Make a simple rule for yourself - every time you feel like snacking, start with a serving of one of these with a glass of water. If, in an hour, you're still hungry, eat a more substantial meal.

When I do this consistently, I find myself naturally filling up on the good stuff and eating the bad stuff more in moderation when I want a treat. Now, if I could only take my own advice, continue to do this more consistently and stop falling off the wagon. :)
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm on an extremely tight budget. My husband and I both only have part-time jobs, so we don't have money for fancy-pants shakes or pills. I try to find cheap, delicious, healthy foods. Eggs are one. Since we live on the West Coast, fish like salmon tends to be low cost, too. If you're in the Midwest, perhaps chicken will be cheaper. If you're outside the US, then whatever is local tends to be cheaper. That's true about produce.

I know you're looking for some sort of "Diet Plan" like South Beach or something, but I've found that the most cost effective, and healthiest is to eat at a slight calorie deficit, get a bit of exercise, and try and keep your macros balanced (I personally try to get 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein and it seems to work for me).

This too!

"Diets" are short term.....They will not work long term.

Don't "diet"......just make better choices.

SideSteel, Sabine, and this lady here....speak the truth :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat normal foods. Adjust the amounts so you are within your calorie allowance. If you are hungry and have a hard time meeting calorie allowance, tweak foods as necessary, replacing higher calorie foods with lower calorie foods.
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful way to explain eating better, portion control, and (even if only temporary) cutting out binge foods! Great post!

First and foremost, I think you're going to be best off trying to establish habits that you can adhere to, and those habitual needs might vary from person to person depending on where your current dietary habits are.

You need to find a way to sustain a caloric deficit over time and you need to adjust whatever factors you can to maximize your chances of sticking to that caloric deficit.

So just for example, eliminating a laundry list of things from your current diet may not be the best approach IF the elimination of those things causes you to binge later on, or causes you to adapt an "all or nothing" mentality to your diet. Typically when this happens you end up treating your diet like an on-off switch. You're either nailing your diet, or you're doing a free for all and the net result is usually bad.

Now with that said, if eating certain food items causes you to recklessly over-eat, then short term elimination could be necessary or alternatively you can look at methods to improve your ability to use moderation. Not everyone is capable of including small portions of junk food in their diet, but many people are and many people can learn to over time.

If you're looking to maximize satiety and minimize hunger while dieting, I would consider an approach where the majority of your diet consists of whole food sources. Eat a fairly large portion of vegetables, eat several servings of fruit, lean meats like chicken and fish, and if you're capable of moderation, allow yourself some room for treats.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Good luck!

ohwowyousuretrolledme_0be8d0d6.gif

Nice story bro... Should we call this the Elimination Diet? Sounds totally legit and sustainable. I especially like the part about eliminating healthy, plant based proteins and fruit.

...However, in the real world, everything said here is utter nonsense and should be promptly ignored. If you're going to eliminate anything - it should be everything listed in the post above. Also, fad diets don't work. Watch what you eat and maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. Try foods that are filled with healthy fiber and nutrients and lean protein to keep you full longer. Try to eat within your calories every day... if you miss every now and again - that's ok, you're human. Find what works for you and something you can maintain - it's the key to long-term success.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    LOL

Stolen word for word without attribution from some "holistic" site who probably stole it from elsewhere w/o attribution.

http://proactivemed.org/11425/center-for-proactive-medicine-facebook-wall/great-words-of-wisdom12-steps-to-a-healthy-lifestylethe-12-steps-to-remove/

Correct me if I'm wrong, wern't you the poster who was copy and pasting everything from the Advocare site earlier?
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    LOL

Stolen word for word without attribution from some "holistic" site who probably stole it from elsewhere w/o attribution.

http://proactivemed.org/11425/center-for-proactive-medicine-facebook-wall/great-words-of-wisdom12-steps-to-a-healthy-lifestylethe-12-steps-to-remove/

Correct me if I'm wrong, wern't you the poster who was copy and pasting everything from the Advocare site earlier?

Oooooo he caught ya... love this

EnHkQRO.gif
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Load up on veggies at meal times! Green Giant steamers aren't expensive and have two servings in a package (I eat the entire package with my lunch protein shake). Eggs are fabulous and not expensive like someone else mentioned. The bags of frozen Tyson chicken breasts are good to have on hand for quick meals. It depends on what kinds of foods you like really. It isn't as hard as you think to eat well on a budget.
  • MstngSammy
    Options

Good luck!
    LOL

Oooooo he caught ya... love this

EnHkQRO.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: