Lent anyone?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    FYI, you're not supposed to tell anyone what you're sacrificing. You're supposed to sacrifice in silence, and go about your day as normal.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    FYI, you're not supposed to tell anyone what you're sacrificing. You're supposed to sacrifice in silence, and go about your day as normal.

QFT

Besides, I don't know if giving up m&ms or Dr. Pepper, or whatever, is necessarily the self-sacriice that was initially intended. I think lent should be changed up that you have to do something (out of the ordinary) good for others for 40 days. Maybe if that means taking that $2/day that you would have spent on Dr. Pepper and giving it to a charity, then that'd be cool....in my opinion.
  • VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Having just gone through the Mardi Gras Season and abusing my body with entirely too much food and drink I'm giving up chips, candy, and basically all snacks.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

QFT

Besides, I don't know if giving up m&ms or Dr. Pepper, or whatever, is necessarily the self-sacriice that was initially intended. I think lent should be changed up that you have to do something (out of the ordinary) good for others for 40 days. Maybe if that means taking that $2/day that you would have spent on Dr. Pepper and giving it to a charity, then that'd be cool....in my opinion.

We do things like this in my family. The reason for Lent is lost among today's fad/restrictive dieters.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give up self denial.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

QFT

[/quote]

We do things like this in my family. The reason for Lent is lost among today's fad/restrictive dieters.
    [/quote]

You have made a valid point.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

QFT

Some people aren't religious and are doing it to better themselves or see what they can accomplish. I see nothing wrong with that!

Who are you to judge where the money goes? They may give craploads of money to charity throughout the year. Blah blah blah - just get over it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

QFT

Some people aren't religious and are doing it to better themselves or see what they can accomplish. I see nothing wrong with that!

Who are you to judge where the money goes? They may give craploads of money to charity throughout the year. Blah blah blah - just get over it.

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. The original intent of Lent is to sacrifice something that takes you away from God or do something out of your ordinary to bring you closer to God. That is what makes a Lenten sacrifice religious. It is also not something that is supposed to be announced. You sacrifice in silence because only the Lord needs to know what you are doing. After all, you're doing it for him.

If that is not the reason for you giving up something, then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it a short-term goal.
  • raegrove
    raegrove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Giving up flavored coffees. no Starbucks, no McCafe's, no iced coffee from the grocery store. I don't drink it for the caffeine. I drink it for the sweet sweet flavor. this is gonna be hard! but good on my waste line and my pocket!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

QFT

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. The original intent of Lent is to sacrifice something that takes you away from God or do something out of your ordinary to bring you closer to God. That is what makes a Lenten sacrifice religious. It is also not something that is supposed to be announced. You sacrifice in silence because only the Lord needs to know what you are doing. After all, you're doing it for him.

If that is not the reason for you giving up something, then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it a short-term goal.
    I meant my previous statement as "focus on yourself, don't worry about others!"

I used to actually partake in Lent every year, now I just do it for the things I find as a vice. Just ignore it, there's nothing earned out of complaining about it. Also, maybe find the good out of how popular it has become? Just my thoughts.
  • jkane1992
    jkane1992 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate, crisps, take-aways and all the other crappy foods!!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I actually am catholic. I am doing the following..

(4) crossfits a week
    (4) runs a week with a min of 20 miles a week (except for cut back weeks)
    (100) crunches a day min
    No white.... potatoes, pasta, bread etc.
    (1) ONLY diet coke a day
    (1) gallon of water a day

Working on my body mind and spirit this 40 days of lent... and I hope to reach my health and happiness goals that way!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    I used to actually partake in Lent every year, now I just do it for the things I find as a vice. Just ignore it, there's nothing earned out of complaining about it. Also, maybe find the good out of how popular it has become? Just my thoughts.
    [/quote]

Well stated
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

QFT

I'm not really complaining about it. I'm just trying to educate what it means to give something up for Lent. It mostly amuses me that people say they are doing something which they really know nothing about. I can't really comment on the "good of how popular it has become" since it is being largely distorted the more mainstream it gets.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options

QFT

So, we're all good now?? Big group hug?? ;)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up just sugar and dropped 8lbs... it was crazy.

This year I decided to give up sugar, processed foods, fried foods and alcohol. Mind you, I've extended it from 40 days to 55... I'm on day 4 today and it's going surprisingly well.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For Lent I am giving up animal based products, so vegan for 40 days!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm not really complaining about it. I'm just trying to educate what it means to give something up for Lent. It mostly amuses me that people say they are doing something which they really know nothing about. I can't really comment on the "good of how popular it has become" since it is being largely distorted the more mainstream it gets.
    [/quote]

Not all of us are Catholic (I'm not) so we do not have the same rules or requirements that they do. There's actually nothing in Scripture about Lent. As far as fasting, Jesus just said to not make a big deal out of it publicly so others would look at you and say, "Oh, look, the poor spiritual dear. See how godly he/she is because he/she is fasting." (my paraphrase, obviously)
  • empy22
    empy22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm kind of baptist/charismatic- though really I'm just a bible believing Christian ;) Anyhoo food wise I and therefore my family are ditching takeaways for the Lentern period. We have a take out at least 2x per week, its so expensive, unhealthy and lazy on my part :(

My second is an appropriate bible study, thirdly I'm going to work on a chosen characteristic that I want to improve that causes a barrier to myself and God :( not sure which one to choose yet though :)

Emma
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Jonz my daughter did that one year ;) but now... I think she's too deep in :/