a bit frustrated...

Options
So I've been logging for almost a month. I've been working out (walking/running/circuit training) 5 days a week.

I lost two pounds right away, within the first few days of starting with MFP. It took an additional 2 weeks to lose a half a pound. This past week I put on 2 pounds. I don't want to "report"it so it still says I've lost 3 pounds.

I am GF due to an allergy but I try and eat fairly clean. I watch my salt intake and try to keep my carbs lower and my protein higher.

I lost an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips right away but nothing in the last 2 and a half weeks, I think I may have even gained a 1/4 inch each on my waist and hips!! Yikes.

This has been so hard the past month, I've been weighing everything, I rarely cheat I've been pre logging all my meals so I stay on track.
I was really hoping to lose at least 4 pounds this month. :o(
I only want to lose 10 pounds so I'm not sure if that's the problem….. and I also turned the dread 40 this year.

Any insight would be appreciated. :o)

My diary is public. I pre logged my food today but I haven't worked out yet so it's shows I'm over. But I plan on leaving about 100-150 in the green after I've worked out and had a small 90 calories treat after dinner.

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You may or may not like this answer. :laugh:

My first thought is that you're not eating...enough! If you're using MFPs calculations for your daily calorie goal, you should be eating back at least some (if not all) of the calories you're burning with exercise. I didn't see that reflected in your diary.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    May I say you do not look as if you have much weight to loose which could be why you are feeling frustrated. The lesser the amount your body would like to remove the less ready it is to do so. It can take longer than you want it to and remember to take into account the regular fluctuations which are a fact of life.

Try setting MFP to loose half a lb a week. True this will give you more calories, it will let your body feel more comfortable with itself. If you are able to move more than you already do you will keep the muscle tone you already have which has to be a plus. You will see results before the summer.

As back up you could have your metabolism checked out by tests in a few weeks if you are still having troubles.
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lol…..a week and a half ago I decided to stop eating back all of my exercise calories bc I wanted to jump start my weight loss! lol. That's typical that that wouldn't work! :o)

I want my 20's metabolism back. :o)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? You're already thin (at 128 pounds), and if you're trying to lose another 10 on top of that, it's going to take you a long time. 1 pound a week is probably pretty unrealistic.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Girl, more protein. I don't care if it's by meat or by other means, but you've got to 1. get more protein in your diet, and 2. get over the number that 1200 calories is where you should strive to be at. If I only ate 1200/cal a day, I would be a monster.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    lol…..a week and a half ago I decided to stop eating back all of my exercise calories bc I wanted to jump start my weight loss! lol. That's typical that that wouldn't work! :o)

I want my 20's metabolism back. :o)

Yeah...that's not going to help! That's the mind set a lot of people have (severe restriction with food = quick weight loss) but in reality, you just need to eat at a slight deficit. And as others have said, if you don't have a lot to lose to begin with, the process WILL be slower.

You mentioned measurements - you'll do well to pay attention to your measurements and not rely on the scale as your sole measure of success!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb a week. The last 10 lbs are always the hardest. You may want to start also doing some strength training. Also make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.
  • nikky731
    Options
    May I say you do not look as if you have much weight to loose which could be why you are feeling frustrated. The lesser the amount your body would like to remove the less ready it is to do so. It can take longer than you want it to and remember to take into account the regular fluctuations which are a fact of life.

My profile pic is the pic I was using last spring when I was almost 10 pounds lighter. I suffered a running injury and subsequently put those 10 pounds back on this past fall. I guess I should update my picture-I just really liked that picture! :o)

I'm quite short, 5 feet 2 inches, so 135 would be considered over weight for me, I'm only 5 pounds away from that. :o(
    So I feel most comfortable when I'm in the 100/teens.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb a week. The last 10 lbs are always the hardest. You may want to start also doing some strength training. Also make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.
    yup.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Half a pound a week is where you should be set. It isn't reasonable or sustainable to cut further than that when you are so close to goal. Lift heavy and get adequate protein.
  • nikky731
    Options

I'm going to try this. It's going to be hard-my whole life I've thought:
    eating less, feeling hungry = lose weight

I do some strength training. I'm working on JM 30 DS right now and when I'm done that I might try Ripped in 30 Days.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I'm quite short, 5 feet 2 inches, so 135 would be considered over weight for me, I'm only 5 pounds away from that. :o(
    So I feel most comfortable when I'm in the 100/teens.

I hate that phrase: "considered overweight". If you're lifting weight and you have a dense muscle mass, weighing 135 isn't the same as a jiggly 135, regardless of your height. Like it was mentioned earlier, start lifting if you aren't currently. Stop being so hung up on the number on the scale. Being discouraged about not being a particular number isn't helping you at all.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I do some strength training. I'm working on JM 30 DS right now and when I'm done that I might try Ripped in 30 Days.

Yeah, all you ever hear is eat less and move move - which drives me insane. It's okay at first, but then there is a turning point. When after losing weight and getting the closer to your goal, with tougher workouts it's actually the eat more, move more.

Your car can't go far on no gas, neither can your body.

Strength training - I was thinking more like lifting heavy things. You won't bulk up if you're eating at a deficit. But it'll help tone as you lose.
  • nikky731
    Options
    BTW,
    thank you so much for all your replies. :o)
    This is part of the reason I failed last Spring and gained back the weight. I work ridiculously hard for 2 months and try and lose 2 pounds a week and then I crash and gain it all back. I always want to just lose it all within a month!
  • Stay111
    Stay111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also feeling frustrated. I work out 5 times a week for over an hour. Try to eat well but the scale wont budge. Not happy. Ive been absent from this site for along time. Im back and trying really hard to see a difference.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There's a few things I can see that you might want to work on:

Focus on toning/strength rather than weight alone. For that you need more protein.

Also, try to log the salad and other things in grams/ounces not as "1 serving" or "17.5 chips". Grams on the food scale do not lie, servings do :)

Try to go for 0.5 pound loss per week rather than 1 pound as it's easier for the last few pounds you need to lose. That will give you a few more calories which should make loss easier.

Are you drinking enough? So far you only logged 3 cups of water. Will there be more?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OP that leaves diary open and provides most pertinent info....

Thumbs_Up!.gif
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options

Yeah, all you ever hear is eat less and move move - which drives me insane. It's okay at first, but then there is a turning point. When after losing weight and getting the closer to your goal, with tougher workouts it's actually the eat more, move more.

Strength training - I was thinking more like lifting heavy things. You won't bulk up if you're eating at a deficit. But it'll help tone as you lose.

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your current muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your lean muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your lean muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

Why?