Foam Rollers and IT Band Syndrome

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I went to the orthopedic yesterday for significant IT band pain (which I had surgery on in 2012 to correct a too short IT band). It looks like IT band syndrome. He did a cortizone injection, and said for me to keep stretching and foam rolling.

I have one of the foam type of rollers like these:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Foam-Roller-18-inch-Round/dp/B00BMSPKJA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394041989&sr=8-7&keywords=foam+roller

and I don't think it's dense enough to do a good job anymore since I'm having so many problems with my IT band. What foam roller should I check out buying? What is best for targeting the IT band?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tiger tail is a good option
    baseball
    wine bottle
    Rumble Roller (can be found at Di*ks sporting goods- it's like 40 bucks though)

look for one that's a PVC pipe with foam on it- hell you could use just a pvc pipe.

Those are all to painful for me but they are viable options!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use a Rumbleroller on a regular basis, and also a lacross ball when I need to really focus on a single area.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Barbell
    Lacrosse balls
  • JTick
    Options
    Barbell
    Lacrosse balls

How would a barbell work? I'm having a hard time imagining that one.

I've been looking at the Rumble Rollers...they are a little pricey but I don't mind paying for something that can make this pain go away. Sounds like one of those and a supply of baseballs or lacrosse balls would get the job done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Barbell
    Lacrosse balls

I've been looking at the Rumble Rollers...they are a little pricey but I don't mind paying for something that can make this pain go away. Sounds like one of those and a supply of baseballs or lacrosse balls would get the job done.

try the bottle of wine first- see if it works for you- or go to the store for a large 3" or more diameter PVC pipe- way cheaper. If you love it- then invest in the rumble rollers.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    PVC pipe with an old t-shirt duct taped around it so it rolls instead of slides. That is really all foam rollers actually are anyway.
  • arfenarf
    arfenarf Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That white one should be just fine. The goal of the exercise is not maximal screaming pain. You want to feather into the tissue and slowly, persistently, patiently, loosen up adhesions and knots.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Barbell
    Lacrosse balls

Rather than roll on top of the roller, lay on your side, set the end of the barbell on your hip/IT band that is facing up towards the ceiling and roll it up and down your IT band. I find the weight of the barbell really gets a lot of the knots that I'm too much of a sissy to lay my full weight down on. I also use a barbell for rolling my lats, tris and quads.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use a blue one but tho other ideas posted here will probably be just as effective.

Give this a read!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/running/strengthening-beats-stretching-when-it-comes-to-this-common-running-injury/article4365074/

I had a bout of ITBS a few years ago (stupid overuse on my part) and missed about 6 weeks of running, what helped me the most was my massage therapist. She had me running again after 2 sessions (of course, after the first one I felt like I'd been hit by a truck)
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    Options
    I use a blue one but tho other ideas posted here will probably be just as effective.

Give this a read!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/running/strengthening-beats-stretching-when-it-comes-to-this-common-running-injury/article4365074/

I had a bout of ITBS a few years ago (stupid overuse on my part) and missed about 6 weeks of running, what helped me the most was my massage therapist. She had me running again after 2 sessions (of course, after the first one I felt like I'd been hit by a truck)

I hadn't even thought about checking into sports massage...I'll give my area a look and see what they offer around here. Thanks!
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Second for the Grid. Worth every penny.