Why do people insist on....

Options
TALKING ON THEIR PHONES AT THE GYM?
! Like if its an emergency or a work call or even a friend calling really quickly, then go for it.
But its sooo annoying when im trying to walk on the treadmill, and some ladys laughing and being annoying.
The gym is a place to work out, Not be on your phone for a half an hour. Just saying! :)

Am i the only one who gets annoyed by this? lol

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Amen!! :bigsmile:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    when i did the gym(i have my own home gym now) i used to be one that was on the phone half the time...it kept my focus off of the workout and onto something else...i can see that it would be annoying to others though
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yesterday while I was grocery shopping this lady was behind me in line on the phone going on and on about life and crap. She was trying to unload her groceries and talk and laugh and be merry. I cashed out and was walking off and she continued on the phone while the cashier was checking her out.

I don't know why it made me angry. I wanted to punch her in the face. Dramatic much? :bigsmile:

But for the love of pete and sam, if you are being helped get off your mother effin' cell phone and be polite.

/end rant

Apparently I needed to say it. :laugh:
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's the only way they can handle working out:)
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    It's not just at the gym - its's at the grocery store, any store in the mall, the post office, the doctor's office. I think the only place that you will NOT find someone talking on their phone is at the library - & that's only because they are texting.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    when i was a member of a gym I never took my phone - it was my chill out time. I could never talk on the phone when on the treadmill. I can hardly breathe let alone talk!!
  • lina1131
    Options
    And another thing that has nothing to really do with this thread (threadjacking FTW!!!)

I saw someone with a big ol' fast food soda working out on a treadmill one time. Really? Yeah, maybe it was tea...but still...really?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Panting - out of breath people kinda turn me on. Just sayin. secret.gif Now people pee'ing while on their phone...don't get me started.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yesterday while I was grocery shopping this lady was behind me in line on the phone going on and on about life and crap. She was trying to unload her groceries and talk and laugh and be merry. I cashed out and was walking off and she continued on the phone while the cashier was checking her out.

I don't know why it made me angry. I wanted to punch her in the face. Dramatic much? :bigsmile:

But for the love of pete and sam, if you are being helped get off your mother effin' cell phone and be polite.

/end rant

Apparently I needed to say it. :laugh:

i agree. i'll chat on my phone throughout the store, but i hang up when i get to the checkout.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    TALKING ON THEIR PHONES AT THE GYM?
    ! Like if its an emergency or a work call or even a friend calling really quickly, then go for it.
    But its sooo annoying when im trying to walk on the treadmill, and some ladys laughing and being annoying.
    The gym is a place to work out, Not be on your phone for a half an hour. Just saying! :)

Am i the only one who gets annoyed by this? lol

I worked at a gym a while back where there was this one women who would come in and be on her phone while doing cardio for at least 2 HOURS a night.

While I commended her on her committment to coming in so regularly, I often questioned her workout intensity given that she was like one of the "Gilmore Girls" in her conversation and never even really broke a sweat.

Not sure how pleased the other patrons were however who may have wanted to use the Stairclimber or treadmill for some serious training, but not much we could do.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    And another thing that has nothing to really do with this thread (threadjacking FTW!!!)

I saw someone with a big ol' fast food soda working out on a treadmill one time. Really? Yeah, maybe it was tea...but still...really?

Our gym's manager has his nasty girlfriend bring him Wendy's, Chipotle, Dairy Queen, etc all the time during peak afternoon hours. Pisses me right off.

Editing to say nasty in the sense that she looks trashy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    nothing chaps my @ss more than when people don't wipe off their machines...especially when i'm STANDING RIGHT THERE!:noway:
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i dont talk on my phone during workouts although i dont see any problem with those who do. some ppl send too much time worring about what everyone around them are doing, (been guilty of that myself). i talk/text when i am bored A LOT. Although in public places i perfer to text and if i want to pull out my phone and make a call i am going to. each to their own. this reminds me of the lady griping because someone came in with Happy Meal...OMG
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I absolutely REFUSE to be on the phone while I am checking out. And when I see a cashier ringing someone out while the customer is on the phone, I feel so bad. That cashier is human, working, trying to put their 8 hours in. Get off the phone, smile while she or he rings YOUR groceries and then call whoever it is back. Sigh.

Back to the original topic. I can't imagine talking on my phone at the gym! I'm sweating and panting so much...my phone would probably melt! It would at least die from water damage and I'm sure my phone company would be like um, we don't cover sweat damage. Nice. Ha ha! They must be going at it fairly leisurely...none the less I think the gym is a very sacred place where you are going to improve you. I've yet to run into a boisterous or rude person at my gym and I hope that doesn't happen because seriously...I want to just do my time, enjoy it as much as possible and then leave. Not listen to anyone's phone conversations. Its a precious short time to myself. Gathering my thoughts and feeling each foot hit the ground.

And SODA on the treadmill...SURELY you jest!? SIGH...
  • lina1131
    Options
    nothing chaps my @ss more than when people don't wipe off their machines...especially when i'm STANDING RIGHT THERE!:noway:

What grosses me out though is that people will wipe their machine with the same sweaty *kitten* nasty filthy wet towel they wiped their forehead with. WTFWTF? That isn't better than just leaving the machine unwiped. Our gym has paper towels and a disinfecting spray that we can use to wipe down the machines when we're done. That is what I do.

But yes, wipe the damn machines people. No one wants your funk on them.
  • MandyMandz
    Options

I AM WITHHHH YOU ON THAT ONE!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options

What grosses me out though is that people will wipe their machine with the same sweaty *kitten* nasty filthy wet towel they wiped their forehead with. WTFWTF? That isn't better than just leaving the machine unwiped. Our gym has paper towels and a disinfecting spray that we can use to wipe down the machines when we're done. That is what I do.

But yes, wipe the damn machines people. No one wants your funk on them.

LOL! YES!!! There are towels and disinfecting spray everywhere in my gym. Its gotten to the point that I spray before and after my workout because I've seen how people treat the equipment!!!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Apparently i'm never going to stop posting in this thread. :laugh:

There is this one chick at my gym that I always see when i'm there. She'll get on the elliptical, and I swear on everything that is holy, this woman like molests this machine. The way she goes up and down on the elliptical should be illegal. She'll get off after 5 minutes, walk up and down the aisle, then get back on and repeat the machine molestation. People laugh at her all the time. How does she not know she looks absolutely ridiculous?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    see i just don't get it...in any gym there are signs everywhere that state some basic, common courtesy rules...like please wear gym shoes and no jeans, so I don't have to peel your sorry @ss of the ellyptical when you trip and fall...or no talking on cell phones...it echos in there, and the 20 other people in the gym with you don't need to be part of the converstation...wipe off the machines you filthy pig...these are things that you shouldn't have to tell adults...that's why 10 year olds aren't allowed in there because they'll just trash the place! read the signs, obey the simple rules, and we'll all get along just fine!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't miss that about the gym at all! Another thing that drove me nuts were the women who would come up there with their hair all nice and done make up, the whole deal...made no sense to me. I guess some people don't have to go to the gym and break a sweat.