Lent anyone?

Options
12346»

Replies

• msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    rachaelps I had my farewell dinner too :) chocolate sundae pie :)
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your not catholic but your giving up something for Lent?

Color me confused.

Just give up the food, why for Lent if you don't even believe in it.

And I'm with Hollydub on this...your not supposed to tell people what you are giving up.
  • MrsMadM
    MrsMadM Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm giving up carbs for the 40 days! Trying to learn how to eat veggies at 36!!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Im giving up eating out. Not that kind of eating out.
    But restaurants or any fast food. Bye bye.
    Wish i could give up my scale but i just cant. So sad. Perhaps next year.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I'm not really complaining about it. I'm just trying to educate what it means to give something up for Lent. It mostly amuses me that people say they are doing something which they really know nothing about. I can't really comment on the "good of how popular it has become" since it is being largely distorted the more mainstream it gets.

Not all of us are Catholic (I'm not) so we do not have the same rules or requirements that they do. There's actually nothing in Scripture about Lent. As far as fasting, Jesus just said to not make a big deal out of it publicly so others would look at you and say, "Oh, look, the poor spiritual dear. See how godly he/she is because he/she is fasting." (my paraphrase, obviously)

That's exactly right. It's in Matthew 6:16. And yet, here everyone is making a big deal out of their sacrifice by telling everyone what they're doing. The basic premise is that whatever you're doing brings you closer to God. I didn't go into Catholic-specific rules about it. I'm just amazed at how many people turn Lent into a 40-day food challenge.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Render onto Ceaser, Ceaser's. Render onto God, God's's.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up meat for Lent
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i’m presbyterian and this lent while I am walking my dog I will pray for God to soften my heart toward those who drive me to distraction.

LENT: is a solemn religious observance of MANY Christian denominations. It’s purpose is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial in preparation for the celebration of the suffering and resurrection of Christ.

During Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxuries as a form of penitence. Throughout Christendom, some adherents mark the season with the traditional abstention from the consumption of meat, most notably among Roman Catholics.[

Lent is traditionally described as lasting for forty days, in commemoration of the forty days which, according to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spent fasting in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by the Devil to worship him, and not perform his earthly ministry. However, different Christian denominations calculate the forty days of Lent differently. Historically, the season of Lent lasts from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday and includes the Paschal Triduum. This duration has been maintained by most Western Christian denominations, including the Anglican Church, Lutheran Church, Methodist Church,and Western Rite Orthodox Church. However, after the liturgical abbreviations of the Second Vatican Council in the Roman Catholic Church, Lent is now taken to end on Holy Thursday rather than Easter Eve, and hence lasts 38 days excluding Sundays, or 44 days in total.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Coffee, I give it up every year AND it is VERY hard to do

My teenage son gives up Facebook! Yup FB!!!

Wow your awesome and you have great commitment i tried think it was last year to give up coffee do not have good will power to give it up. I need my coffee in the morning.

I am a COFFEE FIEND! and I get a massive withdrawl headache the first day but it is good to do it every now and then I think. I don't have that great will power, I actually have a friend who is giving it up to, so we keep each other in check. It actually makes me appreciate it more when I start back drinking it again. My 20yr old likes to torture me by sitting next to me on the weekends witha nice big cup of Joe and drinking it slowly:laugh: :laugh:
  • kimmieb2u
    kimmieb2u Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    FYI, you're not supposed to tell anyone what you're sacrificing. You're supposed to sacrifice in silence, and go about your day as normal.

QFT

Besides, I don't know if giving up m&ms or Dr. Pepper, or whatever, is necessarily the self-sacriice that was initially intended. I think lent should be changed up that you have to do something (out of the ordinary) good for others for 40 days. Maybe if that means taking that $2/day that you would have spent on Dr. Pepper and giving it to a charity, then that'd be cool....in my opinion.
    Some people aren't religious and are doing it to better themselves or see what they can accomplish. I see nothing wrong with that!

Who are you to judge where the money goes? They may give craploads of money to charity throughout the year. Blah blah blah - just get over it.

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. The original intent of Lent is to sacrifice something that takes you away from God or do something out of your ordinary to bring you closer to God. That is what makes a Lenten sacrifice religious. It is also not something that is supposed to be announced. You sacrifice in silence because only the Lord needs to know what you are doing. After all, you're doing it for him.

If that is not the reason for you giving up something, then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it a short-term goal.

I don't think that the LORD is going to be less blessed by people just because they posted what they are doing. Most of us don't even know who's behind the names here, so technically, they're still "suffering in silence." Anyway, I feel encouraged by reading the posts (especially the serious ones). If we belong to the Lord, we are brothers and sisters and I want all of mine to be encouraged, rather than the opposite. Let's not get started judging someone else's spiritual walk because they happened to post about their proposed sacrifice. It's a joy to give up something for God--to show Him I LOVE Him. I'm not going to go around with a sad face anyway! I'm giving thanks for HIS GREAT SACRIFICE!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up carbs for the 40 days! Trying to learn how to eat veggies at 36!!!

Veggies are carbs.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    FYI, you're not supposed to tell anyone what you're sacrificing. You're supposed to sacrifice in silence, and go about your day as normal.

QFT

Besides, I don't know if giving up m&ms or Dr. Pepper, or whatever, is necessarily the self-sacriice that was initially intended. I think lent should be changed up that you have to do something (out of the ordinary) good for others for 40 days. Maybe if that means taking that $2/day that you would have spent on Dr. Pepper and giving it to a charity, then that'd be cool....in my opinion.
    Some people aren't religious and are doing it to better themselves or see what they can accomplish. I see nothing wrong with that!

Who are you to judge where the money goes? They may give craploads of money to charity throughout the year. Blah blah blah - just get over it.

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. The original intent of Lent is to sacrifice something that takes you away from God or do something out of your ordinary to bring you closer to God. That is what makes a Lenten sacrifice religious. It is also not something that is supposed to be announced. You sacrifice in silence because only the Lord needs to know what you are doing. After all, you're doing it for him.

If that is not the reason for you giving up something, then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it a short-term goal.

I don't think that the LORD is going to be less blessed by people just because they posted what they are doing. Most of us don't even know who's behind the names here, so technically, they're still "suffering in silence." Anyway, I feel encouraged by reading the posts (especially the serious ones). If we belong to the Lord, we are brothers and sisters and I want all of mine to be encouraged, rather than the opposite. Let's not get started judging someone else's spiritual walk because they happened to post about their proposed sacrifice. It's a joy to give up something for God--to show Him I LOVE Him. I'm not going to go around with a sad face anyway! I'm giving thanks for HIS GREAT SACRIFICE!

I love you :) You're such a sweet person :)
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will reduce my meat, sweet and alcohol consumption ;-)
  • Mia182492
    Options
    i am giving up junk food...if that makes any sense -.-