Giving up Carbs for Lent

Options

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I will still continue to eat the "good carbs" that are in most fruits and veggies! So I guess there will still be a little carb intake.

For breakfast you could do eggs/bacon/ham/spinach/mushrooms/tomatoes/cheese...basically whatever you want in an omelette. Actually....if you're not wanting to eat carbs except from fruit or veggies then you'll have to cut out cheese too since it does have small amount of carbs. But if you're meaning just cutting out grains...then cheese is a great snack and a great way to increase your calories.

Some of my go to meals are:
    -taco salad (no chips added...lettuce, beef (taco seasoning typically has some carbs as well), sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, olives, and hot sauce
    -chicken fajitas with no tortilla
    -bacon wrapped chicken
    -burger no bun with whatever toppings (mushrooms and swiss cheese, bacon, egg, plain, etc)
    -roast
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    so you've figured out a way to make dinner with zero carbs but can't figure out how to make a lunch size portion?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was thinking the same thing. I just take leftovers............todays lunch was last night's supper..........pulled pork.

OP, just make enough supper to have for next days lunch..........
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I suggest keeping wholegrain unprocessed carbohydrated in your diet - just keep it under 100g a day if you really want to keep the carbs lower. You will still lose weight and your body won't go into shock and put weight back on when you start eating carbs again...

Don't be scared of carbs, your body needs good carbs, protein and healthy fats for weightloss to work efficiently and last.

There is NO need for carbs in the human diet..............

Fat and protein are the most important macro-nutrients to consume.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I will still continue to eat the "good carbs" that are in most fruits and veggies! So I guess there will still be a little carb intake.

Yeah you could just give up the bread, pizza and pasta in itself and look for alternative sources. You may discover some pretty great foods!

I've given up processed sugar so it's going to make me a more experimental eater. :smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I suggest keeping wholegrain unprocessed carbohydrated in your diet - just keep it under 100g a day if you really want to keep the carbs lower. You will still lose weight and your body won't go into shock and put weight back on when you start eating carbs again...

Don't be scared of carbs, your body needs good carbs, protein and healthy fats for weightloss to work efficiently and last.

ImS9eFC.gif
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am doing, "No to all sugar products." for the next 40 days to see if I can make it a HABIT.

There has got to be a way to say no to those products and live with fresh fruits as desserts or between meal snacks.

:bigsmile:
  • BelsFitnessJourney
    Options

I believe the body needs good Low GI carbohydrated, the nutrients from the foods that supply it are also important or 'needed'.
    But each to their own. It's just my personal opinion and a suggestion that worked for me.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

ImS9eFC.gif

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Wait, there are carbs in beer..... :sad:
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    damn this time of the year is relentless
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am doing, "No to all sugar products." for the next 40 days to see if I can make it a HABIT.

There has got to be a way to say no to those products and live with fresh fruits as desserts or between meal snacks.

It sounds unnecessary.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Oh good, because I was going to say giving up all carbs isn't a good idea at all. It's also a good idea to keep whole grains. Give up the refined carbs! They're in so much everyday food as it is.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Scientific proof please.

And I don't mean Paleo Propaganda either. I mean real science.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Scientific proof please.

And I don't mean Paleo Propaganda either. I mean real science.

I mean it's true that the body can SURVIVE on no carbs (ketosis), but IMO it's a far, far cry from optimal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

.....died so that I could eat carbs. That's why in church we celebrate his sacrifice by waiting in line to drink some sugary juice and eat a small piece of bread.

And now the OP wants to give up communion.....for lent
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

Now this is just a hunch...

But I don't think Jesus cares if we give up carbs, sugar, bread, chocolate, <insert-food-you-love-here>.
    Most people "giving up" something for Lent miss the entire point of doing it in the first place.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

But I don't think Jesus cares if we give up carbs, sugar, bread, chocolate, <insert-food-you-love-here>.
    Most people "giving up" something for Lent miss the entire point of doing it in the first place.

BLASPHEMY!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

.....died so that I could eat carbs. That's why in church we celebrate his sacrifice by waiting in line to drink some sugary juice and eat a small piece of bread.

:laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

BLASPHEMY!

I wonder if the superpowers upstairs are saying, "Hmm, Susie is not eating sugar for 40 days. She will be greatly rewarded."
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

Best. Response. Ever.