Anyone just dieting (not working out)

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I don't understand how doing strength training would decrease your strength :huh:

Lifting while cutting, the BEST you can do is maintain, you can't really gain. Given how far I have to go on weight loss and how long it will take it's unlikely, though not impossible, for me to be able to maintain the entire time.

The BEST you can do is maximize LBM retention while cutting, you cannot gain actual muscle mass. But strength and muscle mass are two different things. You can see major strength gains from CNS adaption. I have been in a deficit for the last couple years and my lifts have increased greatly.
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am not working out. Why, because I don't have to . . . yet. I am losing weight just by modifying my diet. So why spend time in a stinky old gym?

You don't have to go to a gym to workout. I find videos online or walk around my neighborhood. I guess I'm shocked that people don't want to be more fit. So you lose some weight but still get winded walking up stairs? I don't get it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying, I see quite the rollercoaster of progression in the weight room while cutting, however, you're not doing your lifting numbers any favors by continuing to lose LBM while you are in a deficit. Might as well do whatever you can to try to increase LBM retention while you're cutting so that you're ahead of the game when you want to maintain or even bulk.

I haven't lifted at all yet, so my numbers aren't hurting as I don't have any. Part of doing it right is establishing a positive routine, I think I will have a lot of difficulty sticking with a routine that sees my strength decreasing, which is a big part of it. I will start lifting before I bottom out on weight, and I'll probably spend some time at nogainz, but I want to minimize that time.

you've got this all wrong chief. 28 year old male that doesn't have a lifting background will gain strength while cutting, and i mean a LOT of strength. all while maintaining LBM and increasing the rate of fat loss and getting closer to being in position of having his goal body once he reaches his goal weight.

you seem dead set on doing it your way, so i'm not going to say one word to stop you. i'm just posting so that others, male and female, old and young, will hear that this is the absolute wrong way to go about it and the reasons you're giving are.....counterfactual, to say the least.
  • DanaNicolle
    DanaNicolle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 pounds without a regimented exercise program(it took me 6 months). I parked my car a little further, took the stairs instead of the elevator, and just "moved" more. I have 25 more pounds to lose to get to my goal, and am now exercising to lose the last bit. I knew I needed to get my eating habits under control, and chose to focus solely on that. Doing both(food and exercise) seemed very overwhelming to me. I say, do what works best for you. As long as you are determined to make healthy changes, you get to choose how you go about it. Good luck! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I don't understand how doing strength training would decrease your strength :huh:

Lifting while cutting, the BEST you can do is maintain, you can't really gain. Given how far I have to go on weight loss and how long it will take it's unlikely, though not impossible, for me to be able to maintain the entire time.

The BEST you can do is maximize LBM retention while cutting, you cannot gain actual muscle mass. But strength and muscle mass are two different things. You can see major strength gains from CNS adaption. I have been in a deficit for the last couple years and my lifts have increased greatly.

^This.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose almost 50 lbs with no exercise. I mean zero. I just hated it and knew I could lose without it. Worst mistake ever! I'm 5 lbs under my goal weight and I just don't look as good as I could at this weight. Do yourself a favor and at least do some strength training to preserve some muscle as you're losing even if it's just body weight exercises at home. It makes a HUGE difference when you hit your goal. You can end up at your ideal weight and still be very flabby and it's REALLY hard to fix. I wish someone would have told me this when I started.

Good luck :)
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    I used to be that way. now I know your better off working out while reducing calories, If I'm not working out I feel like I'm not taking care of myself. so if I follow the eating plan but don't work out I get disappointed with myself. truthfully after 30 yrs of this you'd think I could get this right. nope every day is a struggle Just finished baked ziti and garlic bread, can't wait to meet the scale tomorrow YIPPIE
  • FiresongUK
    Options
    This may be surprising to a few people but I don't want an athletic body at all. People who are overweight, unless they're bedridden, are going to have some level of fitness anyway just from carrying excessive weight around with them. Many people don't have the time in the day for exercise. I certainly didn't at all today, and many days are just the same. I got home at 8, exhausted from being out working hard all day, then had to write an essay, then crashed into bed just now. No, I don't even have 30 mins to put aside for exercise because my life is hectic right now. But it's fine. I really don't want a flat stomach or muscle definition, it's just not me, I'm naturally squishy.

I do have a habit of completely disregarding my health. I just don't think you need to have spartan fitness to be healthy, and I've known many people who have lived long healthy lives having never "worked out".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of people who didn't read far enough into the thread to see that you walk 3-4 miles per day. That is exercise.

Although I would still recommend some kind of resistance training, for the reasons stated earlier.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I am dieting normally. The most exercise I do is walking, and sometimes bowling and swimming.
    Due to some injures I've had in the past, I can't do a lot of 'bending' like things.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't really "work out"

My left knee and left achilles have been aching on and off, so I'm taking it easy.

I'll do some walking, or a little time on the elliptical, but even that will aggravate my knee sometimes. I'm depending on 90% diet to lose the weight. I believe the fitness will come later, once I can actually move one thigh past the other without knocking them together...

I still eat 1500-1900 calories a day, and I've been losing about a lb a week.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sad and lame.

This thread is sad and lame.

Maybe y'all can all get exercise by piling up all your excuses and carrying them around with you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sad and lame.

This thread is sad and lame.

Maybe y'all can all get exercise by piling up all your excuses and carrying them around with you.

Oh no you di'n't!

*snaps in a Z formation*
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    OP, to put it bluntly, blaming a busy schedule is BS. If you do not want to workout for any reason then that is your choice, but nothing more or less than that.

My week:
    ~ 55 hours of working (including one night til 12:30am)
    ~ 8 hours of commuting to and from work

Plus I have two kids (6 & 3 yo) that I help care for, I read to them every night, help the eldest with homework, pack lunches etc. Do washing and dishes etc around the house.

I also managed to have two nights out with friends during the week, down time is important too (once the kids are asleep)

Yet despite all this I still managed to get three sessions in at the gym (again, once the kids are asleep) and rode my bike 170kms this week.

Please don't take this as me bragging - I don't see it as being that impressive but it makes my point.

Life is about setting priorities. If it is not your priority to work out then that is entirely your decision, but it is a real pet peeve of mine when people blame a lack of time and create unnecessary excuses for themselves.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    OP, to put it bluntly, blaming a busy schedule is BS. If you do not want to workout for any reason then that is your choice, but nothing more or less than that.

My week:
    55 hours of working (including one night til 12:30am)
    ~ 8 hours of commuting to and from work
    2 outings with friends

Plus I have two kids (6 & 3 yo) that I help care for, I read to them every night, help the eldest with homework, pack lunches etc. Do washing and dishes etc around the house.

Yet despite all this I still managed to get three sessions in at the gym *(I go once the kids are asleep) and rode my bike 170kms this week.

Please don't take this as me bragging - I don't see it as being that impressive but it makes my point.

Life is about setting priorities. If it is not your priority to work out then that is entirely your decision, but it is a real pet peeve of mine when people blame a lack of time and create unnecessary excuses for themselves.

Yeahbut metric is different so your doing stuff doesn't invalidate their BS excuses.

Or something.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nope. Exercise is key for my weight loss!!
  • Rayman79
    Options
    I get what you're saying, I see quite the rollercoaster of progression in the weight room while cutting, however, you're not doing your lifting numbers any favors by continuing to lose LBM while you are in a deficit. Might as well do whatever you can to try to increase LBM retention while you're cutting so that you're ahead of the game when you want to maintain or even bulk.

I haven't lifted at all yet, so my numbers aren't hurting as I don't have any. Part of doing it right is establishing a positive routine, I think I will have a lot of difficulty sticking with a routine that sees my strength decreasing, which is a big part of it. I will start lifting before I bottom out on weight, and I'll probably spend some time at nogainz, but I want to minimize that time.

OMG I just saw this. Dude you need some education - stat!

I lost a whole lot of LBM by cutting like an idiot (under eating and being a cardio bunny) and I HATE IT. Now I bust my butt in the gym to get me back to a place I was.

My advice , which I am sure is shared by all the other experienced folks here: START LIFTING ASAP!!!! There is not a single reason to delay it. As a new lifter, you will gain strength (and yes, maybe even a little new muscle) while cutting.

The worst case scenario is that you will retain your LBM, lose weight more quickly than with cardio alone and look better... you tell me a downside to that?!?
  • Rayman79
    Options

Yet despite all this I still managed to get three sessions in at the gym *(I go once the kids are asleep) and rode my bike 170kms this week (approx 105 miles).

Yeahbut metric is different so your doing stuff doesn't invalidate their BS excuses.

Or something.

There, now no excuses! :laugh:
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Amazing how the whole conversation gets side tracked. The original question is whether anyone else is dieting without a (I assume formal) "work out".

In reality this is just a "Yes" or "No" - Can this strategy be used for weight loss - absolutely. Whether you agree or disagree that this is the best strategy for someone else is just that your opinion with your priorities and beliefs.

My opinion is that doing something is better than doing and your diet is a great place to start. Staging and building new habits to me is a valid and sensible strategy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I understand the need for confirmation of poor choices.
    There are millions of people that are inactive, don't exercise or don't have a physical activity. And of the dozen or so excuses, I have yet to see a situation where exercise of some form is not beneficial to .... life.

Why do something essentially useful when it's possible to be mediocre en masse?