What should I add to my oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you added all that stuff to your oatmeal and call it "bland," then you must have defective taste buds. Or you need to add more brown sugar. Maybe try some snack-size candy bars, M&Ms, etc

Well it was only 2 tbsp of brown sugar in the entire batch (made 6-7 servings). This is the recipe: http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-nutty-blueberry-banana-oatmeal/

Oh gosh well that's why. Try 2tbsp for each serving haha
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal to make is peanut butter oatmeal. It's not THE HEALTHIEST oatmeal around but OMG sooo good. 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup water 2 tbsp. peanut butter and 3 tsp sugar. Mix it up real good and voila! 2 minutes later you're in heaven. :)

P.S. It's no good without the sugar. You must indulge. :P
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone! I'm just going to make the oatmeal plain and add different stuff each day this week and see what I like best. Keep the suggestions coming! The "do not try" warnings are also really helpful!

Good idea. Nutella is awesome in it if you have the calories to spare.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I made another batch in the slow cooker last night and brought it for breakfast this morning at work. It still felt warm when I got here, but it already had a gelatinous form to it, so I had to add even more milk (calories) along with the tbsp of brown sugar and tbsp of natural peanut butter after heating it up for 2 minutes. Whoever suggested steel-cut oats was probably right, because this oatmeal was pure mush. The flavor was a little better than the first batch, but it was still pretty blah.

I'm not giving up on oatmeal, because I know I like the stuff. I just need to find a way to enjoy it without going over my calorie limit. I found a recipe for homemade oatmeal "packets." Here is is:

10 cups quick oats (7 cups as-is, 3 cups blended into powder)
    1 cup sugar free vanilla creamer (not the liquid kind)
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 teaspoons of salt

*Mix all ingredients together well and place 1/2 cup of the mixture into 24 individual baggies. When you're ready to eat, just add 3/4 cup of water or milk and microwave for 1-2 minutes or more, depending on your microwave settings. Add any additional toppings you desire.

I'm thinking about adding a little of the Splenda Brown Sugar blend if it's still not sweet enough along with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup. That way, I can cook it at work and eat it right away instead of refrigerating it. I really hope this turns out better. With this mixture, I don't have enough calories to spare to add peanut butter, though.
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    PB!!