Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Options

Replies

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll chime in. For me, it was a mixture of a few things. (1) I was semi-convinced that heavy weights equaled big muscles, but seeing all the success threads of all the heavy lifting ladies really opened my eyes and inspired me. I didn't start right away though because (2) I had NO idea where to start, what to do, or how to do it. That encompasses not knowing form, what weight to start with, or how my workout should look on a day or week basis. And (3) once I DID get to the gym with my NROL4W workouts in hand, I was completely out of my element in the weights side of the gym, felt very "watched" even though now I can see no one gave a hoot, felt intimidated, and finally (4) still underestimated the amount of weight I could handle. Good thing my hubby was there to push me. I would've been spinning my wheels for a lot longer.

Hope that helps in your understanding. It can be a whole array of reasons. I'm so glad I started though. Heavy lifting me is so much more badass than cardio-bunny me :bigsmile:
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    For all the ladies that have responded that they "didn't know".. I'd like to get your thoughts on an idea.

I've been considering the prospect of developing a 4-6 session course that covers weight lifting basics. Basically, my idea is to cover the anatomy and physiology of the body as it pertains to lifting. At the same time, I would like to introduce exercises that work said body part using body weight, machines, dumbbells and barbells.

So, for example, we'd discuss the muscles of the legs, how they work and what they do. Then, we'd make a circuit around the gym with everyone trying out the different equipment that works that body part, doing a form check and answering any questions.

I'm not a personal trainer, but I have done training of various types for many years (motorcycle, martial arts, ESL, etc). While I think that personal trainers are great, I've come to realize that all too often, they simply analyze a person, say "do this" and leave it at that. There is rarely any real "education" going on. I think this is wrong.

Anyway.. what are your thoughts on something like this so I can decide if its worth developing in the future?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For all the ladies that have responded that they "didn't know".. I'd like to get your thoughts on an idea.

I've been considering the prospect of developing a 4-6 session course that covers weight lifting basics. Basically, my idea is to cover the anatomy and physiology of the body as it pertains to lifting. At the same time, I would like to introduce exercises that work said body part using body weight, machines, dumbbells and barbells.

So, for example, we'd discuss the muscles of the legs, how they work and what they do. Then, we'd make a circuit around the gym with everyone trying out the different equipment that works that body part, doing a form check and answering any questions.

I'm not a personal trainer, but I have done training of various types for many years (motorcycle, martial arts, ESL, etc). While I think that personal trainers are great, I've come to realize that all too often, they simply analyze a person, say "do this" and leave it at that. There is rarely any real "education" going on. I think this is wrong.

Anyway.. what are your thoughts on something like this so I can decide if its worth developing in the future?

Wouldn't you need to be insured to do this? What if one of your students hurts themselves under your guidance?
  • terizius
    Options
    If I were to go through with this, I would need to get my personal trainers certificate, and yes, I would need to be insured, just like any other personal trainer. Its just the same as when I do my motorcycle training.

This is just something that I've become interested in since I feel there is a void in this particular area of education.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I think I would have found this helpful. The information is all available for someone who goes looking, but having it packaged that way would have been useful IMHO.
  • terizius
    Options
    White - thats exactly the point. All of the information is out there (thats how I got it.. I have a lot of free time at work). But, most people aren't interested or don't have the time to sift through all the chaff to find the good stuff.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Why don't women lift heavy? Let's see...
    Because we don't want to?
    Because we don't want to build visible muscle? ( I sure don't!)
    Because we don't need to, so why should we bother?
    All perfectly valid reasons.

I don't know a better way to tell you this, but if you're lugging around hay bales and such, like you said in a previous thread, if you lose weight in your arms and such (if losing fat is your goal), you probably WILL have visible muscle.

Hmmm... well, I have no choice about the hay bales, feed sacks and firewood ( unless I want to freeze while the horses starve), so I better stick to hay bales ( 150 reps., pick up, carry to hay trailer, stack up to 4 rows high --used to be I could only do 3 rows--50 to 75-80 lbs. each) and not go near a weight rack. Don't want to end up looking like an ageing She-Hulk.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

Don't want to: okay, sure. But if you're lifting 2.5 pounds 100 times, you're not actually doing anything. If you're doing something else and it works for you, fine. Whatever. But at least be educated and not waste time.

Don't want to build visible muscle: Er, okay. If that's your thing. But what do you mean by visible muscle? Do you want some sort of tone or do you just want a 'thinner' body where nothing at all has any definition or 'tone'? If it's the former, lifting will do that - you won't get huge. If you want to be soft all over with no definition, definitely your choice, so I guess keep on keeping on.

Don't need to: you don't need to exercise at all, yep, so I guess that's true.

I find those reasons bizarre, but whatever floats your boat.

For myself, I guess I mean no bulgy he-man type muscle. I do enough farm work to be quite strong for my age and gender, just don't want bulky.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... well, I have no choice about the hay bales, feed sacks and firewood ( unless I want to freeze while the horses starve), so I better stick to hay bales ( 150 reps., pick up, carry to hay trailer, stack up to 4 rows high --used to be I could only do 3 rows--50 to 75-80 lbs. each) and not go near a weight rack. Don't want to end up looking like an ageing She-Hulk.

And that's the POINT....you won't look like a she-hulk by lifting. It takes some significant effort beyond just lifting weights to get that bodybuilder physique and you have to actively pursue it. So you may want to re-evaluate adding in a strength training program, because it won't make you a she-hulk. It really, really won't -- and that's what so many of us have been saying in this thread - too many women think like you do, that you'll get all bulky and stuff, and you won't!

Now, those lifting light because that's all they can do at that moment, that's fine - and it will be obvious to anyone with any gym experience that you are following a strength program like SL 5x5 because you aren't just poofing away for an hour on one movement with super light weights, but you are using super light weights and struggling to do your reps. No shame in the latter AT ALL....I'm a forty-something fat woman who is stronger than she looks but isn't that strong, so it's not like I've got massive weights on the bars right now! It's just obvious that I'm building up and doing the most I can.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Don't want to: okay, sure. But if you're lifting 2.5 pounds 100 times, you're not actually doing anything. If you're doing something else and it works for you, fine. Whatever. But at least be educated and not waste time.

Don't want to build visible muscle: Er, okay. If that's your thing. But what do you mean by visible muscle? Do you want some sort of tone or do you just want a 'thinner' body where nothing at all has any definition or 'tone'? If it's the former, lifting will do that - you won't get huge. If you want to be soft all over with no definition, definitely your choice, so I guess keep on keeping on.

Don't need to: you don't need to exercise at all, yep, so I guess that's true.

I find those reasons bizarre, but whatever floats your boat.

For myself, I guess I mean no bulgy he-man type muscle. I do enough farm work to be quite strong for my age and gender, just don't want bulky.

That's pretty much the point of this thread. To debunk the misconception that lifting heavy will make you "bulky".

As for me, I just bought the NROLFW on my lunch break. Plan on getting started tonight. :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because they are uneducated about the benefits of lifting heavy. Because they believe myths. Because they are intimidated. etc. etc. etc.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They haven't educated themselves on the benefits of lifting and are afraid to get bulky :ohwell:
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I would love something like this. If you come to Montreal I would be happy to be your Guinea Pig! :)
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    [/quote]

That's pretty much the point of this thread. To debunk the misconception that lifting heavy will make you "bulky".

As for me, I just bought the NROLFW on my lunch break. Plan on getting started tonight. :-)
    [/quote]

I just bought it also. I have lifted on and off but haven't really pushed myself to my max. I am hoping this book will help me get there.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

And that's the POINT....you won't look like a she-hulk by lifting. It takes some significant effort beyond just lifting weights to get that bodybuilder physique and you have to actively pursue it. So you may want to re-evaluate adding in a strength training program, because it won't make you a she-hulk. It really, really won't -- and that's what so many of us have been saying in this thread - too many women think like you do, that you'll get all bulky and stuff, and you won't!

Now, those lifting light because that's all they can do at that moment, that's fine - and it will be obvious to anyone with any gym experience that you are following a strength program like SL 5x5 because you aren't just poofing away for an hour on one movement with super light weights, but you are using super light weights and struggling to do your reps. No shame in the latter AT ALL....I'm a forty-something fat woman who is stronger than she looks but isn't that strong, so it's not like I've got massive weights on the bars right now! It's just obvious that I'm building up and doing the most I can.

But if I can already do what I just described, why would I want to add strength training? What's the point? It's certainly not enjoyable......
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't simply because I cant.

Just because I was lugging around 50 bags of 50lbs worth of wood pellets yesterday (true story) does not mean that I can deadlift 50lbs, or squat with 50 lbs, or bench press 50 lbs. I am working on it, but I am still using 5-8 lbs for overhead shoulder press.

I do want to lift heavier and get "bulky" but I am not there yet. Those 5-8 lbs are heavy for me.

FYI: I am having a mechanic at work cut me a piece of pipe to use to start training for barbells.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's because most women buy into the myth that heavy weights bulk you up.

I only recently started lifting weights. I was nervous at first but now I can bicep curl 15 pounds. May not sound impressive but it's a huge improvement for someone who's infamous for having little to no upper body strength. :o) I hope to be able to curl 25 pounds by summer. I'm not seeing any bulk but there is a lot more definition than there'd been before.

Go heavy or go home! :o)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Some due to misinformation and some just simply want to lift light. Like some like cardio and some do not.

To each their own.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I guess I fall into the wimpy woman category. I have a coworker who is a bodybuilder. I asked him what I could use for weight to add to my squats. He suggested I use a 25 lb kettle bell to start, and to do four sets of 15 reps each. I do just that and I do it twice a day. I find that by the time I have finished the fourth set, my legs are aching and I'm not sure I could do more without potentially hurting myself. In between those sets of 15, I do four sets of ten push-ups for the morning routine and I do four sets of lifting the kettle bell straight up in front of me (from having it hang straight down and raising it up to chin level).

So is that not lifting heavy, although I find it heavy for me?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think it's just in some ladies' minds that they "can't."

I'm going to make myself look kind of dumb by telling this story. I've been lifting weights since last summer. The other day, I was loading up some machines with 45lbs....I was putting on a 25, and two 10 plates. My husband looked at me and said: "Why aren't you using the 45lb plate? You can pick up a 40lb box of cat litter...why are you doing this?" I just told him: "I can't pick-up the 45 lb plate."

So, I realized I was being dumb, b/c I was picking-up 45lbs...just with 3 different plates. The next day, I went right into the gym and grabbed a 45 lb plate and started loading away.

I also don't want to "hurt myself." Again, I think I'm being dumb.