Help! Chicken broth?

Options
RINat612
RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
Hey guys... So I need your help to prove my wife wrong :tongue:

I bought some low sodium chicken broth to make the skinnytaste stuffed bell pepper soup (Which is amazing BTW) and now I have most of the container left over. My wife is always teasing me about how I buy an ingredient we almost never use for a single recipe, then let the rest go bad. So I am now out to prove her wrong!

What are you favorite recipes that utilize chicken broth?

Replies

• cinnamonkitty
    Options
    I freeze it and then thaw when I need it.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    i :heart: cabbage soup

cabbage (half or whole) depends how much you want
    chicken broth carton
    can of diced tomatos ( i get the one with garlic in it)
    half an onion
    cumin/ chilli powder
    pepper/salt
    frozen peas./ carrots
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Use it to make rice instead of the water; or go half broth and half water.
    I agree with the freeze it recommendation though, it's very useful!
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Use it to make rice instead of the water; or go half broth and half water.
    I agree with the freeze it recommendation though, it's very useful!

I do it with my quinoa
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I bought some low sodium chicken broth to make the skinnytaste stuffed bell pepper soup (Which is amazing BTW) and now I have most of the container left over. My wife is always teasing me about how I buy an ingredient we almost never use for a single recipe, then let the rest go bad. So I am now out to prove her wrong!

What are your favorite recipes that utilize chicken broth?

Try making some soup (it's been cold enough many nights for it in some places). Start with your broth, then add any leftover veggies, pasta, or chicken. Instant yummy meal.
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would make chicken soup, add some chicken, carrots, celery sticks, whole wheat pasta. done.
  • BrookeCalexander
    BrookeCalexander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My cheap super fast go to meal: chicken broth, jar of hot salsa and bag of frozen veggies!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I make Lemon Chicken Soup:

2 cups water
    box of chicken broth (or however much you have left)
    2 cooked chicken breasts
    juice of 2 lemons
    1 stalk of celery, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    black pepper to taste

I also add a cup of whole wheat pasta or rice if I want a more filling soup..

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I could have used some broth for my dinner tonight but I was out so I used water. BUT, this is what I'm eating:

Spicy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
    Chicken Breast
    Wild Rice
    Green Chiles
    Jalapenos
    Cream of Chicken Soup
    Butter (unsalted)
    Broth (I used water)

So yummy, so spicy.... mmmmm.....
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    LOL.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Use it instead of water to cook rice, quinoa, or some other kind of grain. Low cals, nice flavor.

this - it will give it great flavor - also if you are making something like a chicken stir fry you could just add a bit - I usually use a bit of stock and soya sauce and thicken it with a bit of cornstarch to make stir fry sauce (just add it all to the pan be careful not to use too much cornstarch usually just a tsp or even less will do) - use it to make your gravy/rue for chicken pot pie - you can use it in your slow cooker with your chicken pieces to add more flavor.... and the list goes on!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Make pilaf. Sauté some combination of onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, mushroom. When the veggies are tender, add brown rice and sauté few mins more. Add enough broth to completely cover the rice bring it to a boil, cover, and set to simmer until tender. Add a little more water if you need to and set on LOW if it doesn't seem to be getting cooked all of the way and the broth is gone.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    you can use it to cook couscous or quinoa in or if you make stuffing.
    you can make other soups with it
    freeze it and then pull it out when you need it again
    or you can go on yummly.com where you can search for recipes by ingredient if you put in chicken broth and see what comes up
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I usually freeze them in ice trays then throw in a plastic baggie - pop an ice cube to flavor any recipe .
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

Did not know about yummly.com... Always thought it would be cool to be able to search for recipes based on ingredients.