So what do you do when someone calls you fat to your face?

Options

Replies

• osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It goes something like this:

sparta-kick-o.gif
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    you have a great body, I don't know what your mother is talking about.

people don't call me fat to my face, so I guess I don't know how I would handle that.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You reply "um, that's muscle. You would know if you had any".

Okay, not really, cause that's mean. But seriously, you look great so try to not take it to heart.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So...um...when did she say, "you are fat?" Because that's not what she said. Not saying I wouldn't interpret my mother's words the same way, but I've learned that my mom always says the wrong thing. In one ear and out the other.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love hot women with low self esteem. Please use me to reaffirm yourself.

<snipped>

this haha
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You need to see a therapist to build up your self esteem. To me, that sounds like depression. Her comment shouldn't have put you into tears. Next time, try confronting her about it right away and hopefully she will understand how sensitive you are about the subject and leave it alone in the future.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    you asked what to say when someone calls you fat to your face. i say, "wow, is that the best you can come up with. i mean, i can fix my weight, but there is no cure for stupid."

what it looks like your issue is is that your mom has some serious personality flaws. parents are supposed to make their kids feel special and good and wanted and cared for. you look awesome. you should feel awesome. i'm sorry your mom isnt living up to her potential. sometimes we dont get the parent child relationship we deserve.

in my humble opinion, shake her off. laugh her off. take it as a joke. oh mom, you're so funny, of course i go to the gym still. oh mom, at least i have an *kitten*, ha ha, you're so funny.

you look great, keep on doing what your doing because its working.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Here is what I used to say -

I know I am but what are you ?
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just say "Yep." And walk away. Usually they're confused at the lack of emotional response and proceed to start flinging poo in all directions.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Things are crazy with moms and sisters. My sister can get under my skin like no one else. One time we were getting ready to go out (I'd finally lost all of my baby weight since I'd last seen her) and she says, "ugh! Now I'M the fat sister!!" I was mad and said,"you always were!"... Classy, I know. I was a size 0 and she was a 3. That just shows that neither of us was fat, we were just being insecure, competitive, and mean.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Things are crazy with moms and sisters. My sister can get under my skin like no one else. One time we were getting ready to go out (I'd finally lost all of my baby weight since I'd last seen her) and she says, "ugh! Now I'M the fat sister!!" I was mad and said,"you always were!"... Classy, I know. I was a size 0 and she was a 3. That just shows that neither of us was fat, we were just being insecure, competitive, and mean.

bishes be cray
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    "Big butts are genetic...and obviously, I got my genes from you, MOM!"

I'm kinda mean though.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    A quick kick to the gut followed by a powerbomb.
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My family has called me fat my whole life... Now, I have 4 younger cousins that are in elementary school (the youngest is only in 1st grade) and my grandparents have the audacity to call them fat and laugh about it!

Most Chinese people will call you fat and center their jokes around it. My uncle's nickname is "Fat Guy" (said in chinese) and its the most normal thing to do. Saying "hey, you gained weight" or "why have you gotten so fat? Ha Ha Ha" is as normal as "How are you today?"

Granted, it still hurts to hear it. I used to have seriously low self esteem because of this. Now, I cringe when it is said about my younger cousins because I KNOW that there is nothing constructive about it.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    When someone calls me fat to my face, I cry about it and feel awful for days or weeks.

So, yeah. And if I had to live with that person, as it seems you have to live with your mother, I'd want to avoid them so I wouldn't be hurt again.

If you're stuck in that house and can't get out, then here is what to do: "Mom, the next time you make a negative comment about my weight, I'm leaving the room." And then do it. And she'll up the ante, calling you all sorts of things -- oversensitive, whiny, can't take the truth, bla bla bla. She'll try to shame you or act like you're not being a good family member if you don't suck it up and take what she says to you. (Why do I know this? I went through it too.)

But if you state "If you do X, I will do Y" and then follow through -- no stomping, no slamming doors, just doing what you said you'd do -- eventually the new environment will become normal for her and she'll adjust to it.

And if she says "Watch this!" to someone else and then turns to you and says "You're fat," you can get up and walk out of the room. And don't come back. Yeah, she's pressing your buttons, but she's the one who will look like the @ss, not you.

Finally: do what you can to get out of that awful environment, if it's as awful as I'm imagining.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    bishes be cray

Well, there's that too.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Firstly you look great in your photos.

Secondly what I think really does not matter - it is what you think that matters.

One of the hardest things in my life has been to love me for who I am. There are so many "nice" quotes and expressions that are inspiring but it can take time to actually understand things like "you are perfection / beautiful; to love others you need to first love yourself".

The deeper your connection with your true self the less power and meaning you will give to the opinion of others. This is really all about owning your life and who you are, how you choose to express yourself. This is an exciting journey and at some stage you will come to realize what other people think has less relevance to you.

Try to keep true to yourself and keep doing what you feel driven to do. You will always have an initial reaction when people make comments, I encourage you to explore why you have the reaction to these comments, you may find that you are not being kind to yourself for instance, learn to embrace every part of you your "faults" and "strengths" - simple but not necessarily easy.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    "Oh, wow, now that you mention it, I was thinking the same thing about you, but didn't want to say anything because I feared I would hurt your feelings"
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    "Big butts are genetic...and obviously, I got my genes from you, MOM!"
    +1
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I either punch them on the face, lmao. or just tell them I can always lose weight but their ugliness is to the bone