protein high foods

Options
Hi there MFP friends,

I'm struggling to get my protein levels up as a replacement for carbs. I love my veggies - potatoes, corn on cob, carrots, broccoli, beans - and fruit (oranges, apples, nectarines, plums and whatever is in season).

My fitness programme suggests that I eat 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat. Is that a simple case of eating less of those delicious veggies and more meat? I have a protein shake everyday, and that's not enough. Also I don't want too many protein bars/shakes and I would rather stick to unprocessed foods.

Any suggestions would be most welcome... Thanks in advance for any coaching you can give me... You guys are great!

Replies

• Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be meat! My favorite vegetarian sources are greek yogurt (~23g/cup), eggs/egg whites (6g/egg), Cottage Cheese (~25g/cup) and quinoa (~24g/cup).
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    Cottage cheese and peanut butter! Also, any kind of beans or nuts are high in protein.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are low calorie so I wouldn't worry about cutting back on them. Just get used to eating foods with a lot of protein per calorie. Meat is of course the most obvious source, but there are plenty of others too like eggs and cottage cheese. I'm also a big fan of siggi's skyr yogurt.