Yet another thread about Lent...

Options
There have been several threads recently, asking what we're giving up for Lent. Some give up sweets, or alcohol, or something else, with the goal of maybe losing a few more pounds before Easter.

That's all very nice, but for me, somehow missing the point. Yes, I'd like to sport a nice new Easter dress on a nice new body, but that goal doesn't really fit what I consider to be the main point of self-sacrifice of Lent, which is to somehow learn something, to give up something, to make that journey through the wilderness.

I've decided that, in a spirit of gratitude for the gift of this body, and the comfort of not worrying about where my food comes from, that I would value each morsel, and ask myself: Do I really need to eat this? Can I stop now and still be satisfied?

Giving up, or limiting, unnecessary foods, and adding more intentional activity.

Here's the hard part to give up though:
I will free myself from the metrics, the daily obsession of adding every calorie, and---wait for it---
I will put the scale away.

So I will continue to check in, and keep an exercise log, but not seek external and artificial feedback.

Sundays, I will weigh in. But not daily.

Giving up the Right and Wrong, the daily grade-keeping of Calories In vs. Out seems heretical, and it may not result in weight loss, but I want to discover how to listen to this body.

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have given up negativity. I will speak kindly about my body and positively about life :flowerforyou:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Love these. I agree that most people miss the point behind Lent. Inner reflection and self awareness is a great goal to strive for during lent. I also agree we sometimes let numbers and mechanical devices(scales) have too much control of how we feel. I think I will also give up negativity for lent.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have given up negativity. I will speak kindly about my body and positively about life :flowerforyou:

Right on! Practice gratitude.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Love these. I agree that most people miss the point behind Lent. Inner reflection and self awareness is a great goal to strive for during lent. I also agree we sometimes let numbers and mechanical devices(scales) have too much control of how we feel. I think I will also give up negativity for lent.

Exactly.

What am I learning if I just say, "Oh, I'm giving up Cheetos for Lent"? And then tell everybody about it...