Question about going over your calorie allowance

Options
If you go over your calories, should you try to restrict them the following day to balance it out?

What if you go over by a lot? I don't mean just a couple of hundred, I mean like an obscene amount. Basically, I got dragged out for drinks last night and then we ordered pizza when we got in. I've tried calculating the calories and oh my god I will never order pizza again. I went over by like 3000 cals from all the alcohol & food. I don't know if I should just get straight back into eating healthy today or if I should drink plenty of water and go without to at least attempt to balance out the damage.

How do you handle things like this?

Replies

• Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just carry on today, dont restrict yourself food wise. I would be tempted to throw in some exercise, train a little harder than usual for the next couple of days to even things out.

As long as you had fun with your friends and the pizza was good, just log it and move on, you dont need to punish yourself.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    Personally if that was me, I'd just stick to how I'd usually eat on that day, I wouldn't cut the calories as you've already done the damage. Just let your body get back to it's normal routine.

Drinking plenty of water usually helps me and I just stick to my daily amount and eat clean and try and fit a little bit more exercise in (even if it's just a half hour walk)

We all over indulge in our lives at some point! Don't beat yourself up about it :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Back to normal routine today, drinking a lot of water yes but that should be everyday not only because you binged yesterday.
    Regarding the "just get straight back into eating healthy today" - eating healthy won't make you achieve your goals any faster - controlling and tracking macros / calories is what will do the difference.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't to be honest. Call it a re-feed and start anew :-)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calories, should you try to restrict them the following day to balance it out?

What if you go over by a lot? I don't mean just a couple of hundred, I mean like an obscene amount. Basically, I got dragged out for drinks last night and then we ordered pizza when we got in. I've tried calculating the calories and oh my god I will never order pizza again. I went over by like 3000 cals from all the alcohol & food. I don't know if I should just get straight back into eating healthy today or if I should drink plenty of water and go without to at least attempt to balance out the damage.

How do you handle things like this?
    I look upon the calorie limit as a guide. its not set in stone so as long as I'm in the region it's fine by me. I must be honest I've never gone over as much as you but if I did I'd just ignore it and carry on as normal the following day. One day wont destroy all your work. There is little point trying to limit calories today as it will all just snowball, Good luck
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just carry on today, dont restrict yourself food wise. I would be tempted to throw in some exercise, train a little harder than usual for the next couple of days to even things out.

As long as you had fun with your friends and the pizza was good, just log it and move on, you dont need to punish yourself.

^^^^ This! I don't punish myself for having a good time or a nice meal out. I just carry on as normal the next day. I may work out a little harder if I feel I can
  • CardinalKoolaid
    CardinalKoolaid Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would just carry on the next day as normal - all part of the lifestyle change - sometimes we want to eat things which are high in calories. I try not to put too much pressure on myself.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't to be honest. Call it a re-feed and start anew :-)

I would abvoid calling a night out on the lash a re-feed - next thing you know the re-feed will become an excuse for everything!
    Additionally, a re-feed is not going out and eating / drinking yourself silly - if you re-feeding properly you calculate your re-feed macros based on normal days macros.
  • Laura165_
    Laura165_ Posts: 10
    Options
    Ok, I'll log the calories and eat as normal today. Thanks! I might make a food note so I can look back and remind myself it wasn't worth it. I didn't think it would be as much as it did, but two bottles of wine, half a pizza and dessert soon add up. :/ Oh well. Lesson learned!

Thanks.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I go over by about 2000 (so my total calorie consumption for the day ends up over 4000 in total) probably once every two weeks. It has not made me gain weight. I just make sure I hit all my macros the rest of the time so I know that when I'm not at work, and I want to go out, I can do it without worrying too much. I avoid the scale for a few days after though, because although my rational mind can look at my numbers over the last few months and knows the occasional "cheat day" won't hurt, my irrational mind will look at the scale and go crazy :noway:
  • VJ97
    VJ97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey today's a new day!! carry on as normal and try to throw a little extra exercise. Good idea about the food note :flowerforyou:
  • Laura165_
    Laura165_ Posts: 10
    Options
    Yeah, I won't step on the scale until Monday at the earliest! I usually weigh myself daily, or at least every couple of days, but I only log my weight loss once a month because it seems to give a better reflection of how my weight loss is going instead of the fluctuations which can be sooo depressing and frustrating.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Just try to keep your calories under your weekly goal. Much easier that way. You have 7 days to balance each other out.