RUNNING IS NOT EFFICIENT

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Define "efficient". Because I find running by far the most efficient way to train for, say, a running race...
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    May or may not be efficient but i love it. It helps my mental health and since running I've managed to get my severe asthma under control.. I'm fitter and look better although I'm still overweight so it has it benefits.

And yes the runners high is amazing - the time you come in as you have managed to run faster or further than you have ever before or you just have an amazing run and feel on cloud nine. Most runners run because they ENJOY it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Your opinion. I run. I lift weights. You do you.

Me too. I'm not one of those "fat", "unhealthy" long distance runners you've described. I lift weights (heavy, low reps) 3 times a week, hike other days, and do long cross-country runs on beautiful hilly trails on the weekend. I don't run because it's "efficient" or because it burns a ton of calories or whatever reasons you think people run. I run for the pure joy of it. I've been running for over 20 years and my doctor thinks I'm holding up pretty well, so I'm not too concerned about YOUR concerns. Why badmouth other people's preferred fitness choices? If you don't like it, don't do it.
  • jb290978
    jb290978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So are you saying football players and rugby players are not fit? Most are chunky, bmi through the roof.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea; people enjoy running.

I mean, I think they're nuts, but they have the right to be as crazy as they like so long as it doesn't affect anyone else.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm throwing the Troll flag
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe because *gasp* carrying large amounts of excess weight in the form of muscle is not conducive to long distance running. I know plenty of larger guys that have got ripped running, of course their times aren't brilliant but it does work.

Now I can understand why a top flight O lifter or power lifter would avoid lots of running, but all this "jogging sucks HIIT FTW" rubbish has gone too far.

Oh, BTW, MMA fighters and boxers do lots of running, would these meet your classification of a "fit" physique?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    +1
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe because *gasp* carrying large amounts of excess weight in the form of muscle is not conducive to long distance running. I know plenty of larger guys that have got ripped running, of course their times aren't brilliant but it does work.

Now I can understand why a top flight O lifter or power lifter would avoid lots of running, but all this "jogging sucks HIIT FTW" rubbish has gone too far.

Oh, BTW, MMA fighters and boxers do lots of running, would these meet your classification of a "fit" physique?

This. And even though the OP didn't go there, has he seen a picture of Usain Bolt? Here's my personal take, I enjoy running and I don't want at physique where my muscles are overly defined.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

What a load of cobblers, coupled with your own generalised opinions about what makes someone look good or fit, although you speak as if everything you say is fact. In the same vein, could you ever look at someone walking around and be able to tell whether they are a good swimmer? Didnt think so.

Perhaps a section of people go running because they like it, and not just for attempts of vanity. I am much fitter through running than I have ever been and I enjoy it. I also work out a bit, but to try and make myself a stronger runner in the process, not because I am bothered about you thinking that you may or may not exercise.

"This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy."

Really? What an arrogant statement. None of the people who I know do this because they think they are in general healthy. They actually run because it is perhaps the best cardio exercise for calorie loss and they are trying to actuate a lifestyle change. This is what losing weight is all about right?

I have heard some tosh on this website but this is right up there.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just like to run. Makes me feel good about myself, pushes me to achieve greater things in other areas of my life. Sorry if you don't approve of my reason for running. :P
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

Vanity or ignorance or trolling for a spat. Whatever.

I don't think its about looks at all. I'll put my level of fitness up against most else my age. My BMI & body fat percentage is very low. I have a resting pulse under 40. My cholesterol and blood pressure are excellent. I can run marathons. I can hike mountains.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You're right OP. There's no point to running. I mean, no one could possibly just enjoy it, right? That's not a thing. At all.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

That's the usual reason for trolling.....
    I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Who cares, there's more to fitness than superficial appearances.......

Can you cite a source?

What's the point of this post?
    This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

and you've checked their blood pressure, serum lipids etc? I know lots of skinny people who are unhealthy.....your point?
    Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

Thank you for this gem...........

Perhaps one of the most useless threads in the history of MFP, thanks OP!
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also DISAGREE! 5 HALF marathon’s including a 26.2 in the Fall. 18 races total! Used to morbidly obese highest weight 398 pounds. Running is the ultimate cardio! Do WHAT works for YOU! Running is not for everyone WE RUNNERS ARE UNIQUE AND SPECIAL DON’T HATE ON THE SPORT BECAUSE YOU CANT HANDLE IT! REALTALK!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    +1

And not even one with some game.

But, got my laugh in for the day. :laugh:
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    Running is something I look forward to most days and because of it, I'm usually in a good mood, I'm at a healthy weight, I have great blood pressure, and I can do strenuous work and not feel tired. Clearly running is beneficial for me.

Each person is different, so we all have to do what works for us individual. So to say running is not "efficient" is just your opinion.
  • runningcat76
    Options
    I run becuase I enjoy it, its a great stress reliever and I find it a very efficient way of staying fit! I dont think I look unfit or unhealthy. Running isnt for everyone but dont knock it for those who try, no matter what their shape or size.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

These two statements suggest you know people's health condition and are able to read there mind. Probably should avoid stereotyping an entire group of people.

Anybody that can run a marathon I have mad respect for. It isn't an easy task.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you are little more than a troll, then you might get what you want for a while.

But, when you get old enough (and you aren't right now), you might have a different view and a different way of approaching this.

And I'll point out a couple of things.

No definition of "efficient" and no definition of "fit" and more importantly are YOU the definition of fitness? If not, then what are you going to do and by when to be that objective measurement of fitness.

If those people that you are complaining about (and it is a complaint designed to make you "right and them "wrong") and they went out today and ran your *kitten* into the ground at a half-marathon distance or full marathon distance who do you think would be more "fit?"
This discussion has been closed.