need in-between clothes

Options
Ok, I know this probably doesn't belong in the "success story" board, but I consider it to be a mini success. I am swimming in my size 16s and probably need some size 12 pants. I live in a small town with no Goodwill or anything like it anywhere around. I need the kind of pants that sit at the waist. Any ideas of where I could find such a thing without spending a fortune? I looked on ebay, but it's hard to know if they "sit-at-the-waist". I don't mind spending more money when I get where I want to be, but I have no interest in spending a lot on in-between sizes. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a Goodwill I guess there's not much chance you have an Old Navy, is there? I shop at the thrift store right now until I hit my goal weight but Old Navy also has very good prices. (No affiliation)
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know this probably doesn't belong in the "success story" board, but I consider it to be a mini success. I am swimming in my size 16s and probably need some size 12 pants. I live in a small town with no Goodwill or anything like it anywhere around. I need the kind of pants that sit at the waist. Any ideas of where I could find such a thing without spending a fortune? I looked on ebay, but it's hard to know if they "sit-at-the-waist". I don't mind spending more money when I get where I want to be, but I have no interest in spending a lot on in-between sizes. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

This TOTALLY belongs under 'success'... Way to go!
  • tattoofatty
    tattoofatty Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I read this and thought!! How amazing would it be if everyone on MFP could start a clothes trade forum. IDK how it would work, but it just seems like a great idea, for a group of people who are continually changing in sizes, be able to trade clothes around. :) Seems like a great Idea... The MyFitness Pal Traveling pants. :)
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hmm....no Goodwill or Salvation Army near you at all??
    Are you on Facebook at all? I'd make a post asking if people have what you're looking for and see if anyone's looking to seel clothes they aren't wearing.

Otherwise, I'd drive to the closest large goodwill store - it would be worth the drive! :)
  • madisonsmith1297
    Options
    I would pay the shipping to send clothes to people who need clothes. I honestly think that its one of the hardest things about losing a sizable amount of weight. You are so happy when the numbers on the scale keep going down, but then the clothes you loved for so long and did great things for your body all of a sudden no longer do anything. You look in the mirror and feel worse than you did before. I would say most of my frustration comes from not having clothes that look good on my body, but also being super cheap and not wanted to get new clothes since I have so much more weight to lose. So anyways after the rambling mess I am saying I would totally be into the MFP traveling pants!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding things I "love" but Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx, and Ross/Marshalls might be a good place to look.

And if you are ok wearing someone else's items, check out your Yard Sale listings and/or Craig's list.

WalMart and Target have ok stuff and I know WalMart's career separates are an inexpensive way to have a few key pieces.

Congrats!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have the same issue. I decided I was going to spend $20 for an inbetween pair of jeans. And I found a good deal at Sears, of all places.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding things I "love" but Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx, and Ross/Marshalls might be a good place to look.

Congrats!

This!! Burlington Coat Factory is great! I also like Old Navy (where there are sales) and JCPenney and Kohl's. Honestly though, I drive 45 minutes to get to a Salvation Army... It's worth it! Way to go on the loss!!
  • sneakachukitten
    sneakachukitten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a clothing exchange on Obesityhelp.com. You have to become a member (free membership). I used to be a member. I never used the clothing exchange myself. But from what I understood you would have to pay for the shipping somehow. Most people on the site had gastric bypass surgery and lose weight fast so it was very helpful. But like one poster said, it would be nice if my fitness pal had a clothing exchange program. I'm not quite down to where you're at in size (I'm heading from 16 to 14) but when I do need to get smaller clothes. I drive an hr and a half to a thrift store and buy a couple outfits to hold me over until I get to my next size goal. Good luck, I haven't been on the Obesityhelp.com site in a long time but it would be worth checking out! Congrats on your weight loss! It's awesome!
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same issue. I've offered any of my larger sized clothes to anyone on my friends list but no one was interested. My husband and I are in a tight spot and all I asked was they paid the shipping. I think maybe you started a clothing swap board without even knowing it!!! I found that if you have a credit card with a store (JC, Sears etc) you can return clothes even like 2 months later. I've swapped the same pair of pants twice so far for "random reasons".
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually found some pretty good ones at our Sam's Club. They weren't too much either.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I started to find all my clothes too big I held out as long as possible washing my pants in hot water then drying them in the dryer then a friend suggested leggings. They are awesome! They shrink with you esp if you put them in the dryer lol I started out in 1x leggings (wore 26pants) & now I am into a large. They were cheap, 8.00 at walmart & in a few colors although I stick to black. For Ts I hit sales, I got a new wardrobe now & didn't pay more then 10.00 per item, my last 3 shirts I got for 3.00 ea on clearance! I refuse to pay alot of money for clothing that won't fit me in 6mths anyways.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Walmart and Old Navy has slightly less expensive clothes, but not as cheap as a charity shop. I have been lucky in that coworkers have noticed my weight loss, and some of them have donated their old clothes as they are also on diets. It may actually be worth a drive into a bigger city with a good will. Make a trip/weekend of it for a reward. See if you can stay with a friend or relative if there are any in driving distance to keep costs down.
  • tattoofatty
    Options
    I think that it would be a good inexpensive way to get a pair of pants that actually fit as you need them. Jeans are so expensive to begin with, and with the ever changing size I just cant afford to buy everytime I lose a belt notch :D And fun trading with my MFP family. I'm in an 18 going on 16. I have a few pairs of 14s at my house that probably wont fit me til my may goal, I'd be willing to share. I also have a bunch of 20's that dont fit me either. I know im probably bigger than what your looking for, but if you want them there yours.
    I would totally be into the MFP traveling pants!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    A lot of mention of Old Navy. I personally don't shop there, but I know they have great prices and deliver for free. My sister in-law would buy from there all the time when she lived with us.
  • tattoofatty
    Options
    Thanks for the site info! :D
    There is a clothing exchange on Obesityhelp.com. You have to become a member (free membership). I used to be a member. I never used the clothing exchange myself. But from what I understood you would have to pay for the shipping somehow. Most people on the site had gastric bypass surgery and lose weight fast so it was very helpful. But like one poster said, it would be nice if my fitness pal had a clothing exchange program. I'm not quite down to where you're at in size (I'm heading from 16 to 14) but when I do need to get smaller clothes. I drive an hr and a half to a thrift store and buy a couple outfits to hold me over until I get to my next size goal. Good luck, I haven't been on the Obesityhelp.com site in a long time but it would be worth checking out! Congrats on your weight loss! It's awesome!
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    look at clearance racks. craigslist. church sales. etc.

Maybe just buy a few pair and you could resell them on ebay if you wanted to. Marshalls and kohls my 2 fav places to shop. I only buy sale items. Remember you just need a few pieces to get you by.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Im going to say go back to ebay!! There are so many bargains to be had on there, and you can always ask the seller questions.

And the bonus is that you can sell your too big clothes to people who arent at your size yet, and spend the money you make on new clohes, so technically they are free!! (or so i keep telling myself!)

And if you do get the odd thing you don't like, or it doesn't suit you, back on ebay it goes!!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I bought a belt and it was the best investment I made. I was able to keep in one size longer. I would suggest getting at least one pair every other size down. At some point, even with the belt, the pants that are too big will not be comfortable. I had a few pairs at the smaller sizes, but work clothes are often expensive to replace.

I think reaching out to friends and family would probably help. I gave many of my pants to a friend who I knew was also working to get back in shape so she didn't have to buy new pants.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I bought a belt and it was the best investment I made. I was able to keep in one size longer. I would suggest getting at least one pair every other size down. At some point, even with the belt, the pants that are too big will not be comfortable. I had a few pairs at the smaller sizes, but work clothes are often expensive to replace.

I think reaching out to friends and family would probably help. I gave many of my pants to a friend who I knew was also working to get back in shape so she didn't have to buy new pants.
    I found the best belt ever as it has holes all the way down the belt as part of the design. You never have to buy a new belt during your loss. This works well with woven belts too. (Although at some point the tail of your belt may get a little ridiculous.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!