Elliptical says only 120 calories burned...

Options
Hello! It's been a bit since I posted here, but I have a burning question (ha ha, get it?):

I've recently taken up using an elliptical trainer, True brand. I can set my weight (200lbs), difficulty, resistance etc. It's a pretty good machine.. And when I am done with 30 minutes on it, MFP says that should come out to ~400 calories, but the ticker on the machine says I've burned only 120.

When using the machine, I keep up at about 55rpms, I use the "CV workout" setting, which goes from resistance level 3 to 6 and back to 3 over the course of the workout. My average heart rate reads out about ~125bpm from the machines sensors, but I don't know how accurate that is.. Sweating, panting, and definitely flexing my leg muscles to keep the machine going.

So which is more correct? Am I burning only the measly 120 calories the machine says I am, or am I really putting a dent in it like MFP seems to suggest I should be with that kind of work out?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates by quite a lot. I would think the machine is probably closer to reality in this instance. Maybe split the difference, and see where that takes you?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    The 120 could be correct, or close but it depends on many factors like age, sex, weight, fitness level etc. I'm 5'4" 38 year old woman, about 140 lbs and at a moderate pace on the elliptical if my HR averaged 125 that is probably close to what my burn would be.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    using this http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    based on 21 yr old female at 200 lbs for 30 mins exercise with average hr of 125 it would be 184 calories

Elliptical is all about how much you put in to it and at a hr of 125 you really are not in the high calorie burn area.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It could be correct. I see some pretty inflated numbers on some people's work outs, but they are only cheating themselves. I worry that some machine actually inflate it. Don't give up though, it's 120 calories that you wouldn't have burned otherwise. You are also getting stronger and healthier. I started out around 55 rpms too, but a few months later, I'm around 70. If you have the time and want to burn more calories, try walking after your elliptical exercise. Also do some strength training.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Use your heart rate and personal metrics to determine. Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz2TZE2nDu5
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your budget is like but maybe invest in a hear rate monitor. That will give you a very good indication of how many calories you are burning.
  • jbabbitts
    jbabbitts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my fitness tracker to calculate my calorie burn... Which is usually in range of the machine... The estimates on MFP are way off!!!!
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Getting a good and reputable HRM is one of the best things I've gotten along the weight loss journey.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, granted I'm older than you by 20 years, but I burn that *kitten* up on the elliptical. Get my heart rate b/w 155-165 for the 30 minutes, then do a slow 5 minute cool down where at the end my heart rate is still about 115-120. I'm 5'7", 198, 41 yr-old and with a high intensity and a high heart rate I can burn about 350-400 in 35 minutes (tho of course MFP estimates it higher at like 480). Like someone above said, it's all about what you put into in with the elliptical.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, 200 lbs and the elliptical at my gym says I burn around 300 cals for a 30 min session. My heart rate stays in between 170-185 from about 3 minutes in until I'm done.
  • steph0315
    steph0315 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get on the elliptical every day, and I have never once (even in my really vigorous workouts) hit the number of burned calories that MFP estimates just for a moderate workout. Also, MFP doesn't take into account how hard you're working, just the duration. Some days I burn 630 calories in 45 minutes, sometimes it's 745. MFP would give me credit for 865 in either instance - again, because it is only going by duration. I manually enter the calories shown on the machine, not the inflated number MFP gives me.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Neither MFP or cardio machines are ever very accurate with calorie burns. It's more than likely they are both off, substantially.

If you are very interested in tracking your burns, the only really accurate way to do it is to use an HRM.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't know what intensity or speed you did, so it over estimates a lot. Does your elliptical have grips that give you a heart rate? If you're not wearing a monitor, then that's the closest you can get. Go with what the machine says rather than MFP.
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    I do the elliptical for 30 minutes on the easiest level and it says I burned 300 calories. I am now thinking that number is inflated as well. I am sure the MFP number is inflated. I use the number on the machine because I would rather under-estimate than over-estimate. I guess I will stick with the machine number for now until I can get a HR monitor. I have no idea how high my heart rate gets, but it is pounding when I get finish.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I don't think the machine is far off at all, definitely closer to accurate than the MFP estimates.

One of the biggest mistakes we can make is substantially over-estimating our calories burned during exercise. We think that it should be way more than it actually is. I would err on the side of caution and use the lower number.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Machine is more accurate than MFP!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I used the reading on my machine and the time I used and entered it into MFP as a new exercise... so my machine and my MFP entry should be similar if not the same....
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    that is not a high heart rate - you need to be working a bit harder and get that heart rate up. Its not about "plodding" alot. Go faster, up the intensity and get a sweat going. Then you will burn more calories.
  • kaylad8528
    kaylad8528 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually find this extremely discouraging. The elliptical feels very difficult to me, and at first I didn't question MFP at all - I think I feel like I worked 400 calories hard, but if 30 minutes of "Is it over yet? Is it over now? Now? Now?" and feeling like I'm going to die, or feeling like I have to quit or I am going to get sick, is really only burning 120 calories, this is not what I want...
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates by quite a lot. I would think the machine is probably closer to reality in this instance. Maybe split the difference, and see where that takes you?

I have a HRM but I always split the difference between what the machine says (using that morning's weight) and my HRM (using that week's 'official' weight).