High Protein, No Sugar Challenge (5 pounds down)

Options
I am currently 2 weeks into a 6 week no sugar challenge (no added sugars, junk food). I admit I love eating sweets and high sugar foods, but in the past 2 weeks I have not eaten any sugar, except for fruits. I have lost 5 pounds so far and I want to keep losing. I just started to eat more protein in my diet, and I am wondering if this will help me in my weight loss? Currently my macros are set at 30 carbs, 30 fat, and 40 protein and eating around 1200 cal. I average 70-110 grams of protein a day. I am also fitting in 30 min workouts a day which include squats, crunches, mountain climbers, lunges, small weights, etc. Also I work full time and work on the fourth floor and take the steps around 8-10 times during the day. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to increase my fat burn? Should I add in more cardio? I lost around 3-4 pounds in the first week (mostly water weight), and this week my weight has been slowly dropping but not as fast as I thought. I am more motivated now that I lost 5 pounds total but would love feedback from others.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1200, or is that your total intake?

Weightloss isn't from cutting out the sugar, it's from eating less calories. Without knowing a lot about your stats (ht,wt), but knowing your age, 1200 calories is probably putting you in a pretty large deficit, and IMHO under fueling your body. Can say for sure, you could be under 5 ft tall.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7, currently 170. I am feeling full everyday. I eat plenty of veggies, avocados, beans, lean protein, nuts. I am drinking 3 liters of water a day, and do not feel deprived.
  • gapeach1279
    gapeach1279 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would try to do at least 45 mins to an hour of cardio, but you need more strength training. I've always heard that with cardio, you burn calories only while you're doing the cardio, whereas with strength training, you continue to burn fat after the workout, even in your sleep. A few years ago I was lifting weights for an hour 4 times a week and running 1 1/2 miles 3 times a week. When I first started working out, I was bulking up, which made me mad, but about a month in, I dropped weight like crazy and really toned up. It sounds like you're on the right track with your eating, you just need to modify your workouts to meet your needs. Good luck!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Protein should help you feel fuller and can help you retain muscle mass (as long as you work out your muscle).

I'm 5'7 with similar stats, and I would look into upping your intake by a few hundred calories - I mean, if you feel full on what you're eating now, and aren't feeling any adverse side effects (drops in your mood or changes in digestion), then keep going. But what usually ends up happening is that these eating habits aren't sustainable long-term and when you start eating more, it will be more difficult to maintain.

Eat more protein if you feel like it - also, lift heavier. "Light weights" won't build muscle the way that heavy weights will. Try looking up Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women to get started. I'm on 5/3/1, which is lifting 4 times a week. I still incorporate cardio into my workouts, but I can tell you that I've seen a lot of positive changes from lifting heavy.

Good luck!
  • markjackson3979
    markjackson3979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    change your macros up 45 protein 30 fat 25 carb and do 10 50 metre sprints each day.The weight will fall off.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you eating 1200 per day, and working out, then yes. I would imagine you have lost quite a bit of weight in 2 weeks. Has nothing to do with the sugar, only with eating so few calories.
  • katya_be
    Options
    Thanks! I have heard that weights are better than cardio. I have a treadmill but whenever I run for long periods of time I get shin pain and hip pain, even after stretching. I have been doing cardio in the past with little results but I see more results with a stricter diet and more body weight workouts. I do not have a gym membership, and don't have access to heavy weights. Is it possible to build muscle/strength by doing body weight workouts? I have a 10 month old that weight 22 pounds, and I use her for squatting and bridges :) My clothes are feeling looser and I feel like I am heading in the right direction. I just want to make sure that I can maintain the weight loss.
  • katya_be
    Options
    By the way, I am doing the strict no sugar challenge because if I allow a little treat I know I will overindulge. I need to learn self control so I am trying to go as long as I can without any. So far I am learning a lot about myself and trying to incorporate more physical activity whenever I crave something sweet.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You can build strength doing body weight exercises. You COULD build muscle doing body weight exercises, however, it is nearly impossible to build muscle while in a calorie deficit.
  • katya_be
    Options
    You are right, for now I will continue what I am doing until my body gets leaner and I lose more fat. Then I will work on building more muscle and maintaining it.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Does that include natural sugar, like maple syrup and organic honey?
  • katya_be
    Options

Yes, even natural sugars, I am only eating fruits. I am also trying to minimize white flour and starches.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would stay away from 1200 calories. You could probably eat more and still lose weight. It will be slower in progress but it will be a more lasting weight loss.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Yes, even natural sugars, I am only eating fruits. I am also trying to minimize white flour and starches.

So fruit doesn't make you binge, but added sugar does? Is it just a mental thing, I'm guessing?
  • katya_be
    Options

So fruit doesn't make you binge, but added sugar does? Is it just a mental thing, I'm guessing?

I usually would binge on cookies, cake, candy. But cutting them out cold turkey has helped me stay away. I am trying to control my portions this time around and restricting fruit would never work. Since fruit is relatively low in calories, I fill up more than I would on cookies and candy.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Have you ever heard of anyone binging on apples??! No... Because apples make you feel full because they are full of fiber.

Oreos on the other hand, you can eat a package and not feel full, you would just feel sick.

Not mental at all.
  • zaina510
    zaina510 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with sugar - i am addicted!!

How do you cope when you are craving something sweet?

I am trying to replace it with sugar free snack options.

I am ok with calorie counting - however I keep noticing that I am going over my sugar level on a daily basis!

I have tried replacing it with fruits but that only gets me so far.. haha
  • katya_be
    Options
    Honestly I would stay away from 1200 calories. You could probably eat more and still lose weight. It will be slower in progress but it will be a more lasting weight loss.

I am feeling satisfied on 1200 since I am eating more protein and less junk food. I also plan on upping the calories later on once I hit my goals. Some days I eat more than 1200, just depends on how I feel.
  • anita9148
    anita9148 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi i have done pretty much the same as you. Cardio exercises 20 mins per day. You ideally need 100 gm protein per day and ensure your dietry fibre is also around 25 gm per day. Over 6 weeks I have lost 1st 3lbs and eating a more healthy diet. ensure your daily intake of water is at least 2 litres of water. Ensure you get all your necessary vitamins. Good luck
  • katya_be
    Options

Have you ever heard of anyone binging on apples??! No... Because apples make you feel full because they are full of fiber.

Oreos on the other hand, you can eat a package and not feel full, you would just feel sick.

Not mental at all.

I think it is mental, there is something comforting about eating sugary and fatty foods. But since I am not allowing myself to eat it, I feel less prone to crave it. I don't even think twice about it when it is in front of me.