Calorie Goals?

Options
I've been looking at other people's calorie goals for each day and I see some several that are above mine. Mine is currently 1400 a day. I'm wondering if I'm eating too little in order to lose weight safely enough and moderately enough to help keep it off. I know that if I stick to this amount, I'm not necessarily hungry, but I just want other opinions!! Any thoughts would be soooo appreciated! :)

Replies

• dmfear
    dmfear Posts: 24
    Options
    Mine is 1270 and I'm on my feet all day with my job and workout 2 hours 5-6 days a week. Just thought I would give you an idea of what someone else's was like so you could compare to yours. Have you tried going to "goals" and updating them?
  • ejanin
    Options
    I originally wanted to loose 2 #/week. Because with working out and eating better I thought that was reasonable. I wasn't doing cario/weight lifting like I used to and I know that used to make me get in shape eating whatever I wanted. Now that I am 30 I really am trying to watch what I eat.. because I have a little tummy and I weigh more than I ever have and have been eating awful. I am 5'7 and for a goal of 2#/week it only alloted me 1200 calories. There is no way that I can do that and have options... because orginally I was eating 2,500 cal/ day. I just couldn't do it. So I am aiming for 1600 cal a day, although for 1 1/2 #/ week it is 1400. I work out really hard so I feel like 1600 is good for me. I don't know if this helps. This is only day #3 for me...so I can't even tell you if it is working but my calories are a lot less, and I am not hungry.. I try to eat veggies with olive oil, greent gian already has cheese in it with dinner... seems to be helping with meal and keep me from late night binging. : )
  • ejanin
    Options
    How are you doing 1270 cal and so active?!!! I am only on day 3 but realizing my food choices may need changing...
    I am 5'7 and am really trying for 1400 cal / day and am also very active. I keep going over by 400 cal but with my work outs I feel like I would be too hungry : ( and not get everything I need... I am happy that I am eating way less than I used to..and it is taking some adjustment. But how do you do it and get all your nutrients with fruits, veggies, meats, whole grains, and dairy.. Any suggestions??
  • dmfear
    dmfear Posts: 24
    Options
    It was REALLY hard for me at first. I eventually learned how to not only eat better, but how to choose a lower calorie food in comparison to other healthy foods. (ex: a small banana is 133 calories, whereas a cup of blueberries is 75). I am really starting to see a change in my body ( I'm not dropping weight quickly, however everything is becoming more toned!
  • alain1976
    Options
    I was researching this online yesterday and with different fitness programs like Weight By Date and Fit Day. Still inconclusive and maybe it's just because it's really different for everyone but I wish there was a real concrete answer.
    To lose the same weight at the same rate, Fit day allowed me anywhere between 1900 (strict bmr min) and 2869 Calories.
    Weight By Date was also around 2000 calories as well as the online tools I tried.
    MFP however had me down to 1380 calories per day, which, from what I read would be starving myself and slowing down my metabolism, making weight loss even slower. According to Fit Day I need at least 1900 calories and that's before any exercise.
    I lowered my weight loss rate to 1.5 lbs instead of 2 so that gives me about 1500 cals. I'll see how that goes.
    That slowing down the metabolism business has got me worried. I want to lose the max, but it's trickier than it seems...
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 1200 calories a day; which would result in only .6 pound/week weight loss. I'm sedentary (desk job), but I work out 30 minutes to an hour 5-6 days a week. Since I would like to lose more than a half a pound a week, I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I experimented for a while with different calorie goals and found that in order to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week I need at least 1400 net calories a day. I eat all my exercise calories and take the weekends off from the gym and from calorie restrictions. In 8 weeks I lost 9.3 pounds.

Basically, don't go by what other people are doing. If you're happy with the amount of food you get to eat every day and with your weight loss, stick with what you're doing. If you're not happy with it, experiment a little. Try eating more calories, try eating fewer, then see what works best for your lifestyle and your body.