Advice on losing weight for breast reduction?

Options
I live in the UK, where we have free healthcare/the NHS....I have been told I can have a breast reduction but first my BMI needs to be 25 or below. (Losing weight won't be a cure in itself, my bust was also very large when I was slim but it is policy or so I've been told).

I want to really commit to losing the weight for the op but I find I'm in kind of a chicken and egg situation. I get back ache because of my big bust and also because I'm an RN. I struggle with running etc and when I exercise I have to wear two bra's and two sports bra's which make my shoulders hurt a lot. I don't want to go swimming as I don't want have to wear a bathing costume. Any suggestions on exercises I can do?

Second of all.....how can I 'eat clean'? Do I need to eat 1g protein per lb of body weight? I am vegetarian, I'd struggle A LOT to do that.

What should my diet look like? At the moment I am so used to having a terrible diet I've forgotten what normal is.

Also is there anything I can do to speed up weight loss in the first few weeks?

Thanks for any advice you are all so kind to help and advise, please forgive my ignorance around healthy eating etc I have gotten into such bad habits but I am really determined now to change things around. Thanks again and in advance for any replies

Replies

• Jewelsfla
    Jewelsfla Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You didn't say how much you need to lose to reach a BMI of 25...so I'm not sure what kind of loss we are working with. I have been in a similar boat, as I had a breast reduction consultation a few years back, so I get it.

First, I have a very large bust. I didn't think I was going to be able to jog comfortably, but I do! I wear two sports bras, and while it's not ideal, it's not impossible either. If you really want to be active, you can find ways. There are also websites that sell special size sports bras with more support, if you are absolutely opposed to wearing two. Walking/hiking is also great exercise, so don't feel you have to go all out with cardio right at the get-go.

Second, anytime you start a new health regime, you will almost always lose more weight in the first few weeks, so I wouldn't worry about that. However, this is most likely water weight and muscle, not fat. It's just how things go for a while.

Unfortunately I can't answer your nutrition questions, as I'm not a vegetarian and I don't live a "clean" lifestyle (just try to eat more whole foods than processed foods).

Hope that helps at least some!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight so not being able to run isn't an excuse. You also don't need to eat some set amount of protein to lose so that's not an excuse either. You don't need to eat clean, you can live on junk food and lose weight so there goes that excuse.

Now that we got all the excuses out of the way, weight loss comes down to your diet. You need to eat fewer calories than your body burns in a day. You can figure out that number just putting your stats into MFP or you can get fancy and use something like Scooby's calculator to figure out your BMR and your TDEE and take a deduction from your TDEE to let you know what you can eat.

So now one way or another you have a calorie budget that you have to stick to. No cheating, all food needs to be weighed and measured before it hits your mouth. No guessing at portion sizes, no sneaking a bite here and there, everything gets logged from cream in your coffee to the candy you picked up off someone's desk.

Give that all a try and it should work.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Well, your ticker say's you want to lose 71lbs (is that how much you need to lose until you get to "surgery weight?).

Even though you have large breasts when slim, I'm gonna guess you'll lose more from them than you think. I did (38DD to 34D). I do see why they have those rules and I wish they did in the states.

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so focus on losing fat by diet if you aren't comfortable exercising. And when you comfortable, start then. You don't have to run/jump to get a good workout - walking and hiking is pretty low impact that are great calorie burners. Wear 2 or 3 sports bras or a regular and 2 sports bras if you have to.

As long as you have a reasonable calorie deficient you'll lose weight. 1-2lbs/week is healthy.
  • Wannabeslim2811
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for your reply, I need to lose 56lbs to get to a BMI of less than 25, but my personal goal is to lose 71lbs. The problem is that my bust was still very large when I was slim before, which is part of why I gained weight. I am now a UK HH cup, and when I was 70lbs lighter I was a G cup....I looked ridiculous and got harassed a lot, when I put on weight, the harassment stopped. Maybe that will change now, I guess I'll find out as I lose weight...if they are smaller by nature that will be a bonus! Thanks again
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to but swimming would be a great exercise for you as you are not jolting yourself about. Would you feel comfortable going to a female only session?
  • Wannabeslim2811
    Options
    Hi :) Thanks for your reply, I think even a female only swim session would be too embarrassing, I'm so disgusted and ashamed at my weight right now it's bad enough being in public fully clothed, never mind in a swim suit!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Then don't worry about the exercise for now - that can come later when you're not so self-conscious. The earlier posters are right - you can reach your goal just by changing your diet. But do get out and walk if you can - it's good for your health :)

BTW, about the protein - that's a recommendation to eat more protein so you minimize the amount of muscle you lose as you lose weight. For that, you need 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass - not your actual weight.
  • kimfoto
    kimfoto Posts: 6
    Options
    Then don't worry about the exercise for now - that can come later when you're not so self-conscious. The earlier posters are right - you can reach your goal just by changing your diet. But do get out and walk if you can - it's good for your health :)

BTW, about the protein - that's a recommendation to eat more protein so you minimize the amount of muscle you lose as you lose weight. For that, you need 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass - not your actual weight.

At Stealthq: You have lost a lot of weight!! That's fantastic! How did you do it?