Losing weight on 2,800 calories a day... what is this?!

Options

Replies

• kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? are you doing more cardio than you're eating?
  • zarrr7
    zarrr7 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know it might not seem to make much sense that I'm dropping my calories as well as dropping my exercise.. but knowing my body, I think it's more to do with the fact that I've been over training. if I can help it I also don't want to have to increase my calories as I often run out of time to eat during the day, and have to stuff it all in at night, which leaves me feeling bloated and like crap the next morning when I'm meant to be lifting.
    I've cut out two of my weight training sessions per week, and only dropped about 200 calories from my diet, and since I've done this I've put on about 1kg, and feel a lot better, so hopefully that's working and if I find I stall again I'll just increase my calories from there.
  • rwrealm
    rwrealm Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you used a BMR calculator? Basal Metabolic Rate is important as this is the amount of calories you'd have to take in to maintain your current weight. As an example, my BMR is 1750 calories. With that being said, if you are trying to pack on mass, you need a lot more calories. In this case, I need to take in around 2500 calories per day. I'd be willing to bet that I'm much older than you which means you could potentially take even more calories. How much cardio are you doing? If you are trying to pack on mass, then you really only need to do cardio twice a week for 30 minutes or less. What type of resistance training are you doing? Are you doing high reps? Heavy weight with low reps? Moderate reps? Drop sets, negatives? All of this has great impact on your growth. Do some more research into this.

How much protein are you taking in? When trying to add mass I will take in as much as 225 grams of protein per day. There are many good free protein calculators online, check them out.
  • zarrr7
    Options
    Oh and all the people saying eat heaps of milk, peanut butter and icecream etc... believe me, I already do :)
    I eat peanut butter with pretty much everything, and have atleast 3 glasses of milk a day.. unfortunately though I'm not a huge fan of icecream :( otherwise I would eat that all day every day too.
  • zarrr7
    Options
    Have you used a BMR calculator? Basal Metabolic Rate is important as this is the amount of calories you'd have to take in to maintain your current weight. As an example, my BMR is 1750 calories. With that being said, if you are trying to pack on mass, you need a lot more calories. In this case, I need to take in around 2500 calories per day. I'd be willing to bet that I'm much older than you which means you could potentially take even more calories. How much cardio are you doing? If you are trying to pack on mass, then you really only need to do cardio twice a week for 30 minutes or less. What type of resistance training are you doing? Are you doing high reps? Heavy weight with low reps? Moderate reps? Drop sets, negatives? All of this has great impact on your growth. Do some more research into this.

How much protein are you taking in? When trying to add mass I will take in as much as 225 grams of protein per day. There are many good free protein calculators online, check them out.

I've used a TDEE calculator which IMO is going to be more accurate than a BMR calculator. And the amount of calories I was taking in was accurate, however it's hard to judge the amount of calories I'm burning. I'm trying to put on mass, but doing cardio only twice a week for 30 mins or less isn't really an option for me, I'm in pre-season for soccer and therefore I'm doing 3 hours minimum a week of soccer training.
    For weight training I'm doing heavy weight with low to moderate reps, and use a lot of drops sets and negatives. Believe me, I've already done a ****load of research on it all, and know my stuff.

I don't believe I need to be taking in as much as 225 grams of protein a day, there have been many studies to say the body can only take in up to 1g/lb of body weight.. I however even then am stretching this and doing 1.15g/lb, which for me means 152g of protein a day.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Um, OP if you are losing over 3pounds per week for 2 weeks you are at a 10,500 calorie deficit each week for the last 2 weeks

I lose 3 pounds between the time I go to bed at night and the time I step out of the shower in the morning.

2 weeks isn't enough data to see a pattern, and certainly isn't enough time to start calculating caloric deficits.
  • elvispaul71
    Options
    Try increasing your caloric intake further. I'm consuming 3100 cal per day and 600 of that is coming from 3 protein shakes, 1 at each meal. In just over two weeks, with some heavy lifting at the gym I've seen myself go up from 156 to 163.
    A major plus is I also cut out alcohol. Who would have known a bottle of red could have 900 calories!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    z8MlwZW.png

Is it wrong I don't even know what any of that food is?

That's easy. See you've got a pile of chopped wanklers on the top, a nice juicy slice of fried disky poof on the bottom, and a gin duddly on the side, altogether with a big steaming cup of dirty velazquez.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all :) some helpful advice!
    I've decided to cut back on the exercise, while also lowering my calories slightly, see how that goes for a few weeks and then slowly start to raise my calories from there.. I think I was doing way too much exercise. I've recently just started pre-season for soccer, add onto that weight training 5-6 times a week, and that's a ****load of calories being burned.

"I'm losing weight and I want to gain. I'm going to cut calories to remedy the situation"

Did I really just read this?

She's going to cut back on the exercise as well. Bring it all into sustainable levels and then build from there. There's some sense in that.

No, there's sense in either cutting down exercise or eating more food. Cutting both down will mean the problem persists because the TDEE overall balance remains the same, i.e. a calorie deficit. This is basic stuff...

Yeah, gaining weight can be hard, but so is losing weight, and so is maintaining weight. If you want results, suck it up and do what's needed. Of course it's uncomfortable, you're asking your body to change a long-lasting habit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Rome wasn't built in a day, and you can revisit this again once you have your baseline worked out.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    z8MlwZW.png

Is it wrong I don't even know what any of that food is?

That's easy. See you've got a pile of chopped wanklers on the top, a nice juicy slice of fried disky poof on the bottom, and a gin duddly on the side, altogether with a big steaming cup of dirty velazquez.

Large ham steak, six small pork sausages, some peppers (to cut through all the meatiness), a gluten free roll and a large mug of spiced orange soy mocha.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk!

Eh, that pushes the macros a bit towards carbs doesn't it? I'd stick with plain myself.

I do 45% carbs, so it's all good. :drinker:

Does it matter? Once you get 1g/LBM protein, .6g/LBM fat, and 1g/lb carbs (I'm guesstimating on the minimum recommendations for fat and carbs to be honest) does it matter where the rest of your cals come from?

True, it wouldn't matter really, if you are bulking.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk!

Eh, that pushes the macros a bit towards carbs doesn't it? I'd stick with plain myself.

Carb fearing and effectively gaining muscle are mutually exclusive concepts.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as people complaining about not being able to eat 1200.... Actually , this is far worse... Poor you and your fantastic genetics.

Ugh, its not her genetics. She works out A LOT and is trying to GAIN. She can eat more in this case, obviously. :noway:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Evidently, Lolo Jones ate 9,000 calories a day to bulk and build muscle for the winter Olympics. Really, 2,800 calories isn't even that much food. I don't need that many calories most of the time, but I sure wouldn't have a problem eating them if I needed it. One of the things I enjoy most when I go backpacking is eating 4,000-5,000 calories a day. It's fun - food is good!
    It's not difficult once in awhile. Try it for a month, then come back and tell us how you feel on those days when you have to eat that much and you never, ever want to look at food ever again. Gaining is just as difficult for some people as losing is for others.

OP, liquid calories are your best friend. Chocolate milk. If you like coffee, drink it with heavy cream. I just discovered that chunky peanut butter on cookie dough ice cream is amazing.

^^^ So true. Bulking is great for 3 days? 4? Then it becomes a struggle at least half the time. There are always days where it is awesome, but many days when you think: Really? More?

I'll have to try the PB on cookie dough ice cream! I'd probably put a bit of chocolate syrup over the pb too. Yum. Have you tried cookie butter?

Yep.

What most overweight people fail to grasp is that rarely do people naturally gain weight anything like bulking. You're fat, clearly you gain weight easily and have an overeating problem, right? Well no. Most people get fat by failing to balance overeating episodes with undereating episodes, while spending most days maintaining. Over the years this can build up A LOT.

A sustained daily calorie surplus is a totally different story. It get old, especially if you aren't very experienced with it and haven't worked out the foods/timing that you can comfortably sustain day after day. Everybody on their 1st-2nd bulk will experience the horror of being full an hour before bed, still having 1000 calories to eat that day. The first time around it can be quite a frequent occurrence. But because it sucks so much over time you figure out how to not have that occur.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as people complaining about not being able to eat 1200.... Actually , this is far worse... Poor you and your fantastic genetics.

Ugh, its not her genetics. She works out A LOT and is trying to GAIN. She can eat more in this case, obviously. :noway:

Well, in some ways it is. Some people are born with medical conditions that make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. My husband has Crohn's disease and sometimes feels jealous or resentment over it. As a teen, it was hard for him to gain weight because he couldn't keep food down. (The grass is always greener...)
  • aremai4_27
    aremai4_27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to gain weight by bulking... I'm eating 2,800 calories a day, and yet somehow I'm still losing weight... down almost 3kg in 2 weeks. What even!?!?! 2,800 is already so much food, I don't know if I can eat any more :(

It may be shocking, but the amount you can eat when you're active and lifting weights (particularly in your early 20s) is enormous. Try drinking more calories (protein shakes, milk, even just sugary coffee drinks) or adding in more snacks. Your stomach does get used to the extra food in time.

By the way, feel free to add me as it's good to have other girls bulking around... there are so many stresses that you never think about until you try!

I agree with this completely. I'm 23, 5'-10" 145lbs. I take in on average 4000 calories a day and have actually been loosing weight and need to consume more. It's also not just about how active you are, it's also how fast your body's metabolism is. I work in an office and spend the majority of the day sitting in front of a computer, so I'm not that active, but I have an extremely high metabolic rate. But you also can't just take in garbage to up your caloric intake, you need to make sure they're healthy foods, some junk stuff is okay here and there, but you want high calories and high protein. So lots of chicken and red meats.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to gain weight by bulking... I'm eating 2,800 calories a day, and yet somehow I'm still losing weight... down almost 3kg in 2 weeks. What even!?!?! 2,800 is already so much food, I don't know if I can eat any more :(

It may be shocking, but the amount you can eat when you're active and lifting weights (particularly in your early 20s) is enormous. Try drinking more calories (protein shakes, milk, even just sugary coffee drinks) or adding in more snacks. Your stomach does get used to the extra food in time.

By the way, feel free to add me as it's good to have other girls bulking around... there are so many stresses that you never think about until you try!

I agree with this completely. I'm 23, 5'-10" 145lbs. I take in on average 4000 calories a day and have actually been loosing weight and need to consume more. It's also not just about how active you are, it's also how fast your body's metabolism is. I work in an office and spend the majority of the day sitting in front of a computer, so I'm not that active, but I have an extremely high metabolic rate. But you also can't just take in garbage to up your caloric intake, you need to make sure they're healthy foods, some junk stuff is okay here and there, but you want high calories and high protein. So lots of chicken and red meats.

Once you get 1g/LBM of protein your body actually can't use more. Once you get your minimums of carbs (1g/lb?), protein (.8g/lb) and fat (.6g/lb), why would it matter what else fills the rest of your calories? On a cut, this means you have to pretty careful to balance your day, but when you are bulking there are a lot of "extra" calories after those minimums are met. Can you point to any study that says that the rest can't come from "junk" food? There is only so much in the way of vitamins/minerals/other micros that your body can use either. Besides, what constitutes "junk"?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    A sustained daily calorie surplus is a totally different story. It get old, especially if you aren't very experienced with it and haven't worked out the foods/timing that you can comfortably sustain day after day. Everybody on their 1st-2nd bulk will experience the horror of being full an hour before bed, still having 1000 calories to eat that day. The first time around it can be quite a frequent occurrence. But because it sucks so much over time you figure out how to not have that occur.

Amen.

With my current regimen, I basically maintain at about 3000-3200. Especially in the beginning, it was a challenge to figure out how I was going to get those last calories in. By the time I was done doing what I was going to do that day, I had to somehow find time AND food to reach the target.

But it did become easier as I experimented with different foods to figure out the best balance of caloirc value and "fullness factor" for me.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Evidently, Lolo Jones ate 9,000 calories a day to bulk and build muscle for the winter Olympics. Really, 2,800 calories isn't even that much food. I don't need that many calories most of the time, but I sure wouldn't have a problem eating them if I needed it. One of the things I enjoy most when I go backpacking is eating 4,000-5,000 calories a day. It's fun - food is good!
    It's not difficult once in awhile. Try it for a month, then come back and tell us how you feel on those days when you have to eat that much and you never, ever want to look at food ever again. Gaining is just as difficult for some people as losing is for others.

OP, liquid calories are your best friend. Chocolate milk. If you like coffee, drink it with heavy cream. I just discovered that chunky peanut butter on cookie dough ice cream is amazing.

^^^ So true. Bulking is great for 3 days? 4? Then it becomes a struggle at least half the time. There are always days where it is awesome, but many days when you think: Really? More?

I'll have to try the PB on cookie dough ice cream! I'd probably put a bit of chocolate syrup over the pb too. Yum. Have you tried cookie butter?

Yep.

What most overweight people fail to grasp is that rarely do people naturally gain weight anything like bulking. You're fat, clearly you gain weight easily and have an overeating problem, right? Well no. Most people get fat by failing to balance overeating episodes with undereating episodes, while spending most days maintaining. Over the years this can build up A LOT.

So true, Waldo! I'm often eating 800-1000 cal in the 2 hours before bed!

To the above poster: Backpacking certainly burns a lot of calories...but I doubt most backpackers eat 4000-5000 cal a day, even though they probably should. Carrying enough food, along with the other supplies, to be able to sustain oneself, is NOT easy. You can easily have a 50+ lb pack...which makes you burn even more calories! At some point, there are likely diminishing returns. I have no desire to ever do hardcore backpacking for this reason...I'd lose weight due to not eating enough.