TDEE - 20% and the dreaded plateau!

Options
(Let me start this post by saying I only want real responses that are helpful that don't repeat what I already know! Please be nice and helpful! I have been on this journey for over a year and have lost 61 pounds, but what always worked isn't working anymore!)

Throughout my journey I have typically eaten at TDEE - 20% and that worked for a good 10 months straight. Now, I have been severely plateauing with that same number and have experimented in both directions... meaning that I have eaten below and above that number to try to find what will work for me to get me off this plateau that I have been at for basically 2 months now. My weight loss has drastically slowed down and now I haven't lost in nearly 6 weeks, arg!

Feel free to read over my profile, but I typically eat at TDEE -20% on non-exercise days and then with exercise days I typically burn between 600-800 calories, so this is where I have been experimenting with not eating back exercise calories and eating back around half of my exercise calories.

I have read all of the posts from both sides of the argument--- "You're not eating enough! You're in starvation mode" or "You're eating too much, a greater deficit is the answer!" and what I'm saying is that I've tried both sides of the story... nothing is yielding a result for me and I'm stuck.

Anyone else experienced the same thing?! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    following for answers
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, and I'm not sure I really believe in plateaus in weight-loss, but you could shift to maintenance for a couple months and then back into your cut.

Rigger
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Have you picked a realistic target weight or are you trying to become TOO thin?
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can try to up your work-out, heaver weights, longer cardo etc... that worked for me in the past.. Good luck
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're doing TDEE method AND eating back exercise cals? If you've figured your activity level correctly and included it in your TDEE numbers, then you do not eat back those burned cals.

Other possible issues - have you rerun your numbers recently? Taken measurements? Are clothes fitting any looser? I had my scale stand still for 6 months, but lost inches and dropped a full size during that time. And if you have been eating pretty much the same goal the whole time, it might be time to recheck the numbers as things have changed.

As far as the eating higher or lower with no results, how long did you stick with the new intake each time? Because it can take a good 4-6 weeks for the results to show up on the scale.
  • thehappyfitmusician
    thehappyfitmusician Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you picked a realistic target weight or are you trying to become TOO thin?

Yes, my target weight is directly in the middle of my healthy weight range. I'm not trying to get to the low end or anything! Very realistic goals!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If you aren't losing weight you are at maintenance....and if you don't weigh your food you don't know what you are eating.

As mentioned...when you are doing TDEE you don't eat exercise calories back.

Open your diary....
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    You can try to up your work-out, heaver weights, longer cardo etc... that worked for me in the past.. Good luck

Yep, done that too! ;/
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If you aren't losing weight you are at maintenance....and if you don't weigh your food you don't know what you are eating.

Open your diary....

Yes of course I weigh everything I put into my mouth, I'm OCD about it. I measure everything! And I don't typically eat the calories back but have experimented both ways recently to see if a change will occur.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Open your diary....

Yes of course I weigh everything I put into my mouth, I'm OCD about it. I measure everything! And I don't typically eat the calories back but have experimented both ways recently to see if a change will occur.

do you weigh everything or measure??? there is a difference...
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Open your diary..
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options

Open your diary....

If it requires being weighed it goes on the scale (i.e. proteins, fruits, etc.)! I even weigh bananas to see how many grams they are!

If it is something that has to be measured (i.e. liquids) it goes in the tbsp and tsp!

So I know there is a difference!
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The theory should stay the same, the numbers should just be recalculated. If you're using current numbers of weight and exercise count, and things still aren't changing, maybe your metabolism is being ridiculous, and a short term reset would do you good.

For my own count, I do things the MFP way just because I don't have a regular enough schedule to count on the workouts being consistent from week to week. I ran my own numbers through several calculators, just not accounting for workouts. Perhaps rethinking things that way may be useful?

Sorry to hear things aren't moving along better for you. Don't get discouraged, you'll get there. :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Open your diary....

If it requires being weighed it goes on the scale (i.e. proteins, fruits, etc.)! I even weigh bananas to see how many grams they are!

If it is something that has to be measured (i.e. liquids) it goes in the tbsp and tsp!

So I know there is a difference!

we can only go by your words because your diary isn't open.

The only other thing is you are eating exercise calories back when using TDEE method which is not what that method is for.

It is so you don't eat them back. You eat the same calories everyday.

If your exercise has slowed down that would result in a change in your TDEE numbers.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Using the iifym TDEE calculator - 27yo/ 176#/ exercise 6x per week, I get a TDEE of 2385 and a BMR of 1584. TDEE - 20% would be 1908. I think you should try eating at 1900cal for a month and see what happens - not eating back your exercise cals as they are already added in TDEE. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You said you tried eating more cals. For how long and how many more per day or week, if you measure that way?

No matter what - keep moving and you will succeed. Patience is the key. Good Luck!
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Using the iifym TDEE calculator - 27yo/ 176#/ exercise 6x per week, I get a TDEE of 2385 and a BMR of 1584. TDEE - 20% would be 1908. I think you should try eating at 1900cal for a month and see what happens - not eating back your exercise cals as they are already added in TDEE. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You said you tried eating more cals. For how long and how many more per day or week, if you measure that way?

No matter what - keep moving and you will succeed. Patience is the key. Good Luck!

Yep, that is what I actually just did and I am going to try it! Thanks so much! I didn't try eating more calories for more than a few days, which now I'm going to stick to it for a few weeks and see what happens! :)
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
    I didn't try eating more calories for more than a few days, which now I'm going to stick to it for a few weeks and see what happens! :)

You've been at this for a while now and you've been VERY successful. :drinker:
    You know it takes your body more than a few days to make a change - give it time to process what you want it to do. :flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yep, that is what I actually just did and I am going to try it! Thanks so much! I didn't try eating more calories for more than a few days, which now I'm going to stick to it for a few weeks and see what happens! :)

Really??? so you think eating more food is going to help you lose weight????

wow...
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options

Really??? so you think eating more food is going to help you lose weight????

wow...

Her TDEE was wrong to begin with - she states in her profile that she is eating BTW 1,300-1,500cals - why NOT take her word for it? According to the info she provides she SHOULD be eating a bit more
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    because if she truely was eating that big of a deficet she would be losing weigh regardless at least 2lbs a week...and I often find people aren't honest with themselves let alone strangers on the internet. Never mind Online calculators are estimates...

As well in her profile she states she has gained muscle which is not possible eating at a deficet, along with a few other things in her profile that just don't ring valid to me...ie 22% BF lost...okay.

weight loss is calories in being less than calories out...period and if you aren't losing weight it is as simple as not being in a deficet and adding more food to that is counter intuitive.