extreme sugar/carb withdrawal

The last couple of days I've been struggling with some awful sugar withdrawal (that's all I can assume it is)... I guessed my pre-myfitnesspal diet wasn't the healthiest - full of simple/empty carbs, but I never knew how bad I was "addicted" until now, while I'm trying to stop. But I guess that's the nature of it - the hallmark "I can choose to stop anytime" mentality, until you actually TRY to.

And I don't mean just willpower-dependent cravings like "oh I could *so* go for a chocolate bar"... I mean real, physiological dependency - last night I was completely *stuffed* from a healthy dinner, not hungry at all, and I was still craving SWEET. Savory food wasn't enough. Fruit isn't sweet enough. I was twitching my hands, pacing constantly and even stuttered while talking. I felt hurried, and couldn't think straight (NOT an anxiety or panic attack though, mind you - I've unfortunately experienced both and they are qualitatively different from each other and from this). All I could feel/think was "OMGNEEDSUGARNOW!!" - I was nearly incapable of anything else. I tried eating a straight Stevia packet, dry, to see if I could trick my body into thinking it had sugar, but to no avail. I even had a couple of blood glucose test strips left from a kit I bought and checked my blood sugar - a healthy 83 mg/dL, so I wasn't *physically* hypoglycemic but it sure felt like it.

After I couldn't stand it anymore I finally indulged (binged?) in some smore's pop tarts we still had left (I've mentioned before not liking stuff with marshmallow, but I ate it anyway cause it was concentrated sweet). And 15 minutes later I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I felt sooo calm, relaxed, and just completely "sated". Like strong medicine when you feel it "kick in". It seems so ridiculous, 'cause it's just *food* though right?! I've read about how some people are lobbying for sugar to be a controlled substance and now I understand why.

I go through something like this most days since I've been eating healthier things, some days worse than others, and almost always in the afternoon/evening. Last night was pretty bad though.

My ultimate intention is to eat healthier and lose weight, though I think I may have to focus more on the "eating healthier" part until my body is used to it, and allow myself sweets (so I can function day-to-day) while gradually reducing them.

I guess I'm just venting here but also wondering if anyone has had personal experience with sugar/carb "withdrawal" after a very high-carb/sugar diet, and if so how did you deal with it?

And wow, I just realized how much I seriously over-use quotation marks, lol.

Replies

• jbs0202
    jbs0202 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi - I too am "addicted" to sweets but have discovered a few things that help me keep it under control. First I identified what sweets were most satisfying to me - chocolate chip cookies, and dark chocolate, for me. I made it a point never to buy any other sweets - if they're not in the house, I won't be tempted. Then I looked for products and recipes that were lower in calories. There really IS a difference among chocolate bars, and many now come in a mini size. I also found I could make cookies with Splenda and reduce the calories.

Next is portion control. I figure I can eat almost anything if I really am sensible about amounts. For example, slowly savoring one chocolate truffle can be way better than gobbling down a cheap candy bar. I also made a batch of cookie dough and rolled it between waxed paper, and scored it into little cookie size pieces. Like the pre-made cookie dough packets at the grocery store, but my recipe. I freeze half of it and keep the other half in the fridge. When I get a serious craving, I break off 2 or 3 small cookies and bake them in the toaster oven. And I always drink a big glass of water with them - tea or coffee or something else would work, too. Liquids really fill you up.

Would I still like to eat the whole batch of cookies? Yes. But the few bites, managed my own way, satisfy the craving and help me stick to my plan. I feel more in control of my cravings instead of them controlling me.

Not having easy access, planning ahead for YOUR kind of treats, and portion control have really worked for me. Good luck!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I HAVE done things for a Klondike Bar
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    I am on day 15 out of 60 of a No added sugar challenge. The first 5 days I felt like I was going to fail. My head hurt, I felt lightheaded, I wanted to sleep all day, I wanted something sweet and I felt like giving up. But now I feel great. I started to eat more protein, and if I wanted something sweet I would eat greek yogurt and berries. It takes time for your body to go through withdrawal. Just have patience with yourself and get through those few days of withdrawal and it will go away soon.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    I replaced most if not all of my added sugar with Agave Nectar and Honey. Granted yes its still considered sugar but its not overly procressed. Plus with someone who is hypoglycemic, I don't feel my blood sugar spiked or drop after eating it. ANd I have been using less and don't go through withdrawls of sugar as much. The agave nectar itself is supersweet so you use less. Try those and see if that helps with the cravings.
  • LiveMore101
    LiveMore101 Posts: 84 Member
    I understand how you feel. I didn't go through something that sounded as painful as YOUR experience, but when I was going through my sugar withdrawal, I was just tired, a bit cranky, and yes, I did crave... But not enough to give in. Don't tear yourself down too bad though, since you gave in. Sometimes it happens, but that's why it's best to take things moderately.
    A quick suggestion, if you crave a dessert, but want to remain healthy:
    I just bought a cook book, I think it's called Taste of Home: Comfort Foods DIET.
    It's about 10 bucks on a Nook or 11-13 dollars paperback, I believe. But, they have some amazing recipes in there! I just made some Blondies with Chocolate Chips last night, and for a decent sized bar, it was only 100-something calories. They have other recipes in there, like Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies, that are only 79 calories a cookie.
    I STRONGLY suggest this book because it really is GREAT! :) You then will be able to maintain a decent diet, but also sustain those cravings by feeding yourself some healthier sweets.
  • reachingmygoal2012
    reachingmygoal2012 Posts: 17 Member
    I gave up refined sugar a couple of years ago, just for a week, as a challenge to myself, and I was shaking. You definitely go through a withdrawal period. I started keeping dark chocolate in my desk so that I could have just a small piece instead of getting to the point where I wanted to binge. Just keep at it!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Did you try to go cold turkey? Why?
    I eat a square of Lindt chocolate or half a cup of ice cream almost every day - and lost 60 pounds and kept it off for 6 years while doing it....I have no idea why people would put themselves through misery if it is not needed...

Instead of eating a packet of splenda, eat a square of dark (or other quality) chocolate...It will not kill you, it will make you feel better and less deprived, and it will be sustainable.
    Not saying you should go on eating tonnes of sugar, but why not just cut down instead of avoiding it completely? Sugar (like carbs or fat) is not the devil when used in moderation by a healthy person.....
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    I did the same thing last night. I managed to eat about 3/4 of a tub of frozen cool whip. I'm trying to kick some sugar habits as well, and having an awful time of it. Distraction seems to be my only hope right now. When I work out I don't crave it, when I am busy doing laundry, dishes, walking my dogs, I don't crave it. When I'm sitting at work, in front of the tv, or any other time, all I want is SUGAR and it doesn't matter what kind it is. Trying to kick it, but it's hard being distracted all of the time. Especially since I'm on crutches right now and can't just head to the gym or walk the dogs. Maybe I should take up knitting...
  • charlicee
    charlicee Posts: 53
    Just say no. Have water and a small piece of fruit. Get out of the house, away from the kitchen, or go do some exercise. Sugar gives your brain a high similar to that of drugs. Avoid all processed sugars at all costs.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    83 is on the low side...

I keep frozen yogurt bars in the freezer...80 calories of pure satisfaction. That seems to do the trick for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I eat a square of Lindt chocolate or half a cup of ice cream almost every day - and lost 60 pounds and kept it off for 6 years while doing it....I have no idea why people would put themselves through misery if it is not needed...

Instead of eating a packet of splenda, eat a square of dark (or other quality) chocolate...It will not kill you, it will make you feel better and less deprived, and it will be sustainable.
    Not saying you should go on eating tonnes of sugar, but why not just cut down instead of avoiding it completely? Sugar (like carbs or fat) is not the devil when used in moderation by a healthy person.....

Yep - this!

Sugar (or carbs for that matter) is not something I am willing to give up for the rest of my life.............sooner or later, I'm going to have to "deal" with it.

I don't eat everthing I crave.....but I do eat the things that I crave the most.....pick your battles. For me it's Ghiradelli chocolate squares....individually wrapped ....dark chocolate has more chocolate flavor. Portion control is a lifestyle change.

When I'm sitting in front of the TV ....I keep my hands busy......solitaire, knitting, whatever .....some form of distraction helps.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member

Yep - this!

Sugar (or carbs for that matter) is not something I am willing to give up for the rest of my life.............sooner or later, I'm going to have to "deal" with it.

I don't eat everthing I crave.....but I do eat the things that I crave the most.....pick your battles. For me it's Ghiradelli chocolate squares....individually wrapped ....dark chocolate has more chocolate flavor. Portion control is a lifestyle change.

When I'm sitting in front of the TV ....I keep my hands busy......solitaire, knitting, whatever .....some form of distraction helps.

What worked for me is going cold turkey for a few weeks! I suddenly realized that I did not need that cookie or cake, and it has changed my views on sugar :) After I complete the next few weeks, I'll eat sweets at a max of 1x a week.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Oooo, yes. I've gotten the shakes before and even started SWEATING thinking about eating cupcakes that were at the preschool where I worked. It was ridiculous. I didn't have one because I didn't want to eat something like that under those conditions. It took all my willpower not to.

I just changed my diet to a higher protein % and lower carb % and the first few days have been rough.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    If you go high protein and low carb, your blood sugar will stay steadier and you won't have the blood sugar spikes and crashes-- the crashes cause the light-headedness and spacey feelings. A lot of people, myself included, are somewhat "insulin resistant", meaning your body puts out too much insulin when it sees some sugar coming, so once the sugar is metabolized, the surplus insulin is still cruising around metabolizing whatever sugar it can find -- and then you crash.
    Stevia isn't going to do the job- your body really does need some sugar in the blood when you feel like this.

What works for me is keeping away from any kind of sugar or starchy carbs while eating a good amount of protein and "good" fat, like olive oil. Keep the ratio of protein and fat grams to carb grams high for any given meal or snack. You've got to keep the entire insulin army from coming out to play.
    Someone suggested fruit-- fruit is good if you really need a "fix", but don't overdo it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Have you been tested for insulin resistance?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    83 is on the low side...

I keep frozen yogurt bars in the freezer...80 calories of pure satisfaction. That seems to do the trick for me.

83 isn't on the low side. It's perfectly normal. 70 is medically considered low blood sugar.

I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and I've dropped as low as 43.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    I just looked at your food diary. Your breakfasts are all starch and sugar-based. God no, girl-- not if you have sugar problems. Starting the day with a sugar spike will mess up your entire day-- at least it does mine.

Instead try a protein shake (I like Spirutein with plain yogurt and maybe a little fruit or honey) . Or eat some leftover meat with some vegs or a little fruit.
    Lately- for breakfast- I've been having a green salad with a tablespoon of olive oil and some protein on top. Protein could be a chopped-up hard boiled egg, some chunks of chicken, bits of roast beef or pork, or anything similar that's in the fridge. I don't feel the need for food until lunchtime.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    The last couple of days I've been struggling with some awful sugar withdrawal (that's all I can assume it is)... I guessed my pre-myfitnesspal diet wasn't the healthiest - full of simple/empty carbs, but I never knew how bad I was "addicted" until now, while I'm trying to stop. But I guess that's the nature of it - the hallmark "I can choose to stop anytime" mentality, until you actually TRY to.

And I don't mean just willpower-dependent cravings like "oh I could *so* go for a chocolate bar"... I mean real, physiological dependency - last night I was completely *stuffed* from a healthy dinner, not hungry at all, and I was still craving SWEET. Savory food wasn't enough. Fruit isn't sweet enough. I was twitching my hands, pacing constantly and even stuttered while talking. I felt hurried, and couldn't think straight (NOT an anxiety or panic attack though, mind you - I've unfortunately experienced both and they are qualitatively different from each other and from this). All I could feel/think was "OMGNEEDSUGARNOW!!" - I was nearly incapable of anything else. I tried eating a straight Stevia packet, dry, to see if I could trick my body into thinking it had sugar, but to no avail. I even had a couple of blood glucose test strips left from a kit I bought and checked my blood sugar - a healthy 83 mg/dL, so I wasn't *physically* hypoglycemic but it sure felt like it.

After I couldn't stand it anymore I finally indulged (binged?) in some smore's pop tarts we still had left (I've mentioned before not liking stuff with marshmallow, but I ate it anyway cause it was concentrated sweet). And 15 minutes later I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I felt sooo calm, relaxed, and just completely "sated". Like strong medicine when you feel it "kick in". It seems so ridiculous, 'cause it's just *food* though right?! I've read about how some people are lobbying for sugar to be a controlled substance and now I understand why.

I go through something like this most days since I've been eating healthier things, some days worse than others, and almost always in the afternoon/evening. Last night was pretty bad though.

My ultimate intention is to eat healthier and lose weight, though I think I may have to focus more on the "eating healthier" part until my body is used to it, and allow myself sweets (so I can function day-to-day) while gradually reducing them.

I guess I'm just venting here but also wondering if anyone has had personal experience with sugar/carb "withdrawal" after a very high-carb/sugar diet, and if so how did you deal with it?

And wow, I just realized how much I seriously over-use quotation marks, lol.

I took a look at your diary and you are eating WAY too many carbs. Your sugar intake yesterday was 187g. That is simply too much. You don't need to eat more than 100g a day. Even that is high. But then again, it depends where you are getting your sugar from.

You are experiencing shakiness, stuttering, anxiousness, and confusion most likely because your blood glucose and insulin are spiking high and plummeting quickly. This causes hypoglycemic symptoms. My best guess is you are insulin resistant, like me. When your body overproduces insulin, hypoglycemia results. Insulin is a hormone that lowers blood sugar. So you can imagine what happens when there is an overabundance of insulin in your bloodstream.

First off, STOP eating Stevia packets. That is not helping your cause. Ditch the pop tarts and treats your husband brings you. They are full of refined sugar that causes a spike in glucose and a quick drop. Resulting in hypoglycemic symptoms and more hunger. Instead, buy some dark chocolate. At least 70% cocoa. Buy Kozy shack simply 90 calorie chocolate pudding packs and some light cool whip to put on top. Keep eating fruit. Try to avoid adding sugar and honey to things as much as you can.

Yes, you are going to feel like ****. Yes, you are going to have headaches and confusion. But you need to push through it. If you continue eating the way you are, you will likely develop diabetes if you haven't already. You don't want that!!

Out of curiosity, have you been tested for diabetes? Have you tested your blood sugar in the morning right when you wake up? If yes, what is it? If not, can you please test it over the weekend and let me know what it is?

For breakfast, try adding more protein…. bacon, sausage, eggs. If you don't have time in the morning, make hard boiled eggs the night before and refrigerate them so you can eat them the next morning. They last a couple days and are easy to eat on the go!
  • Did you try to go cold turkey? Why?

That's just it, I didn't realize how much of a physical dependency sugar and carbs incur - until I tried to go without.
  • And about the stevia packet, that was the first and only time I've done that (admittedly not my proudest moment). I've just been constantly experimenting with food and things these past couple of weeks, to see what works for me, what doesn't, etc.

And though to some it may seem like I'm eating too many carbs now, trust me in that my diary shows a vast improvement over my pre-myfitnesspal diet; a typical day for me would look something like this:

breakfast (if I ate any):
    bowl of generic chex-type cereal w/sugar sprinkled on & 2%milk
    Or
    Pancakes or waffles, with fake maple syrup
    Coffee w/sugar & milk or creamer

Lunch possibilities:
    Ramen noodles or
    Can of ravioli/spaghettios or
    Peanut butter & jelly on white bread or
    Pan-made grilled cheese (white bread, american slices & butter)

Snacks:
    Crackers, fruit snacks, chocolates, ice cream, etc.

Dinner (our only "family" meal):
    Some kind of meat (mainly chicken or beef, very rarely fish or pork)
    Some kind of starch (potatoes, instant dinner noodle things, etc)
    Some kind of green veggie (usually frozen peas, green beans, or mixed veggies)

After dinner:
    More "snacks" into the night.

Add to that several sodas, some juice, and a daily energy drink or two.

...Seeing that all typed out now makes me feel that on second thought, I'm not doing so bad after all :)