Anyone out there struggling to lose the last 10-15 pounds?

Options
13»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just wondering... do you weigh all your food? With a small deficit, it's very easy to underestimate how much you eat and to end up with no deficit at all. And obviously it depends on how aggressive your goal is. I'm 7 lbs from my goal and I only lost 1 lb this month but I was way over my TDEE 5 times. Still managed to lose a pound because my goal is pretty low I guess (but not too low... 1600, and I try to be active one hour at a day at least). But my goal isn't very aggressive, I'll be happy with 22% body fat or something.
    I don't completely understand the TDEE thing....do I eat under that?

Essentially TDEE calculator takes your exercise cals and averages then out for the week so you eat the same everyday. Days you don't exercise you would be over your MFP goal, but days you do you would be under. So you eat that number of cals, assuming you chose a deficit from TDEE, for the last 10-15 lbs a reduction of 10-15% is what should be taken vs. the normal 20%.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas TDEE will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif).
  • RBhyan
    RBhyan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started MFP & Home Gymming together in start of Feb 2013 . I calculated my TDEE and as per my requirement set my MFP . I don't measure my foods , just use guesswork on quantities but at same time I am working out 5 days/week but don't log any calorie burn due to weight/strength training . I only log in my cardio workouts . For last 2 weeks i have been losing 1.5 lbs/week and feeling good about that . I feel it's going to be harder from now as I have started gaining some muscles too due to my weight training & my body needs more calories but I am trying my best to monitor my Diet plan and not go overboard :smile:
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    -Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week (too large of a deficit, a larger % of your weight loss will come from muscle) You can do cardio if you wish, or just get your deficit from diet alone, cardio will allow you to eat more, may help with adherence if hungry often
    -Weigh solid foods and measure liquids (make sure you are eating what you think you are)
    -Get adequate protein intake (enough protein will help you maintain lean muscle while losing fat), Aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, if you know your BF% 1 gram per lb of LBM but the goal weight calc should be close, and def. adequate.
    -Take part in a progressive lifting strength training routine (help you maintain lean muscle while losing fat), and
    -give it time

thx I'm going to try this.. im in the same boat trying to lose the last 10 lbs
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, me. I have the last 18 to 20 lbs left and it's not easy.
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    Hi there I am in same boat. I lost all the weight and in the last year have gained back 13 lbs. I have been trying to get this off for 2 months with not much luck. I do remember how I lost it in the first place. I am back to weighing myself, logging food and exercise and no drinking wine. That is what added the labs back on!!!

You sound exactly like me!
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Just wondering... do you weigh all your food? With a small deficit, it's very easy to underestimate how much you eat and to end up with no deficit at all. And obviously it depends on how aggressive your goal is. I'm 7 lbs from my goal and I only lost 1 lb this month but I was way over my TDEE 5 times. Still managed to lose a pound because my goal is pretty low I guess (but not too low... 1600, and I try to be active one hour at a day at least). But my goal isn't very aggressive, I'll be happy with 22% body fat or something.

Essentially TDEE calculator takes your exercise cals and averages then out for the week so you eat the same everyday. Days you don't exercise you would be over your MFP goal, but days you do you would be under. So you eat that number of cals, assuming you chose a deficit from TDEE, for the last 10-15 lbs a reduction of 10-15% is what should be taken vs. the normal 20%.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas TDEE will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif).
    Thank you! I went to the Scooby site, and it tells me my BMR is 1286, my TDEE is 1994 (to maintain weight), and my daily goal is 1495. It also says that I could lose 1 pound per week doing this.....But why does the TDEE say maintain while it's also telling me I could lose 1lb per week??
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Losing the last 10 is no easy task, especially if you are over 25.

1) Remember the good news; you only have 10 extra, you are already ahead of 65% of the population so congrats!
    2) There is a reason most people find it tough to lose the last 10. It is not easy and especially not easy to maintain ripped abs long term. You basically got to live and move as much as a pro athlete all the time. Follow all the advice already given on this thread, but you got to keep it up year round, every year and if you ever stop for 4 weeks, bam, its gone and you got 10 extra again.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue! I have about 7 more pounds to lose, and I've been yo-yoing over the same three pounds for the past month. I did increase my exercise and added a lot more strength training this month, so I'm assuming I've been gaining muscle weight. I also went down a pant size, so I know there's progress and I'm trying not to care about the scale. But knowing I'm thisclose to my goal, it's really frustrating!
  • blnana814
    Options
    In the same boat. I have not lost any weight. I am getting really frustrated because I am doing complete workouts and keeping my calories at 1200-1300 a day. I feel like things are more toned but no scale loss. I have always had problems losing weight. I don't have many pounds to lose (10-15) but still, I feel like most people that have done what I've done would have lost at least 1-2 pounds. I have been low carbing since January 3rd, lost an initial 3 pounds in a few weeks (probable mostly water weight). Then, I starting adding good carbs back in, such as a banana after my workout, and more vegetables. Then I started slim in 6 after not working out for a very long time, and the scale is not budging. So now it has been a little over 2 months of eating correctly, and watching carbs, plus the intense slim in 6 workouts for a few weeks and nothing is happening! Any advice out there from anyone in the same boat as me?
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Thank you! I went to the Scooby site, and it tells me my BMR is 1286, my TDEE is 1994 (to maintain weight), and my daily goal is 1495. It also says that I could lose 1 pound per week doing this.....But why does the TDEE say maintain while it's also telling me I could lose 1lb per week??

It told you your TDEE is 1994. To lose 1 lb per week you eat below your TDEE by 500 calories, which is where the calorie target of 1495 is coming from.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation, I lost weight at a regular 1lb a week until Christmas when I had a bit of a hiccup, gained weight, lost it again but have pretty much maintained since January. I think I need a boost in motivation!
  • blnana814
    Options
    Same here, I don't' want to quit but it is getting pretty hard not to care anymore since I haven't seen any real results in a whole 2 months time. I have read others say that when they upped their calories the weight came off but I have tried this in the past and it didn't work either. I really don't know where to go from here!