Will drinking too much water cause water retention?

Options
I've gained a kg after drinking like 19 glasses of water for a few days can this be the reason for my 1kg gained?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Usually drinking more water helps your kidneys work better if you're having water retention problems. UNLESS you drink too much and get water poisoning. How do you feel?

More importantly - are you peeing what you should be?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Why is the world would you drink that much water? Unless you are working outside in major heat you simply don't need that much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've gained a kg after drinking like 19 glasses of water for a few days can this be the reason for my 1kg gained?
    Is that 19 glasses of water A DAY for the last few days, or is that a total of 19 glass of water for a two day period?

If you drink 19 glasses of water in one day that can be...uh...a little intense.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking 19 glasses of water a day, I suggest you stop. That is overkill, ridiculous.
    You can actually cause electrolyte imbalances drinking that much water, and that can kill you.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No, it'll do the opposite.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Water weighs roughly 1 pound for 2 cups (pint). If you drank 19 cups of water, that would be about 9.5 pounds going through you. If you actually mean glasses, that could be 2-3x more.

or 1 Liter = 1 Kilogram
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I actually drank 19 glasses in a day for a few days.... I'll drink less now but can the 1kg be water retention? Or do I have to lower my maintenance calorie intake??
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not cause water retention, it'll be explled by your body in a few hours.

Eating high sodium foods makes your body hold on to water.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough water will result in water retention--your body will cling onto the already available water you have inside as a defense mechanism since it doesn't know when it'll get any more again. A good way to tell whether you're getting adequate amounts is by the color of your urine. Clear is good. I drink 1.5 to 2 gallons daily and feel great. Allow about a 4 hour grace period before going to work/sleep/class or be prepared to go to the restroom every 10 minutes ????
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you've started doing intense exercise (is that why you're drinking so much) that will cause water retention in your muscles as your muscles repair themselves. But be careful of drinking large quantities whilst you work out you lose alot of sodium through sweat and drinking large quantities of water further dilutes your sodium and other electrolyte levels.

If your exercise regime hasn't changed and you're drinking that much because you're thirsty (unless it's blisteringly hot and you have been doing manual labour) I might check with a doctor.

You're body can process up to15 litres a day (including water in food) but ONLY if you spread it out (and I wouldn't suggest 15 litres as a target), if you drink several litres in a very short period of time you can suffer from "water intoxication"

Ps I am not a medical professional this is just general knowledge I've gleaned from various sites so if there is any professionals who want to correct me please do.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I train almost daily yet never drink more than 10 glasses. The thought of 19 in a day is making me want to go to the toilet lol.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information! I think it may be my sore muscle causing the water retention.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not cause water retention, it'll be explled by your body in a few hours.

Eating high sodium foods makes your body hold on to water.

this
  • tariksehovic
    tariksehovic Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water will cause your body to think that it does not need to retain it therefore actually causing less retention
  • davidmulligan
    davidmulligan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water results in a lot of peeing. Continue as you are, you are not even close to over doing it.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    How big is your glass? Lol! Sorry have to ask?
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    If you are drinking 19 glasses of water a day, I suggest you stop. That is overkill, ridiculous.
    You can actually cause electrolyte imbalances drinking that much water, and that can kill you.

Very true - just make sure your salt intake is adjusted so that you can hold on to those vitamins and minerals in your body. I am blessed with CRAZY low blood pressure and poor circulation so I have to drink a TON of water every day. When I'm feeling particulary dehydrated - I have about 3/4 tsp of himilayan pink salt so my body can start grabbing onto and hang onto all those essentials.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize 19 glasses of water can kill you. Quite a few people on here drink this much or more daily. They run fairly long distances 4-5 times a week, some are trainers, and some do heavy lifting. Death through water consumption, interesting. And PS, a ton of water in a day is quite a bit. If a galloon weighs 8 pounds...nvm...I'm sure you're kidding.
  • GardenOfSongs
    GardenOfSongs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The most I ever drink is 4.5/5 litres in a day, but like people on here have said previously, if it's spread out enough then it won't do any harm and may actually aid your weight loss. It is probably just muscle repair.