The Food diary is surprising or I need a *lot* of practice.

Options
nokitchen
nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
When I signed up for this site the food diary really shocked me! I was afraid that when I added all the food I ate it would come up to some insane number of calories that would make it depressing or even impossible to reach my target calories. But no. Five days in, my calculated calories mostly come in under my target. I realize that there are at least two things happening which might influence the measurements. First, almost any process improves simply because it's being measured. Which is to say, I was definitely eating snacky things that I didn't even think about that I don't eat now because I'd have to add it to the tracker. Second, I'm still getting better at using the tracking tool and perhaps I'm underestimating my serving sizes, etc. But it's still hard to believe that that those things add up to the hundreds and hundreds of kCal/day that would be necessary for me to get as fat as I got!

Has anyone else had this experience? Have you tracked your food and wondered, "If I'm eating that closely to my target calories and I'm mostly eating relatively wholesome (non junk food) stuff, how the heck did I get to this weight in the first place?"

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, no. Initially my thought was "Holy crapola! No WONDER I'm heavy!" I have zero portion proportional skills and I have a huge fear of logging everything I used to eat. So, I make better choices and log everything. I think you are conscientiously making choices throughout your day that fit into your goals. Well done!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I eat 'healthily' - love veg and lean meat and fish so always wondered how come my weight had crept up so high. When I put in my meals for the day, they were perfect - just the right amount of calories. Then when I added my snacks, which were eaten with very little thought, they often came to a whopping 600 extra calories. It's that careless snacking that puts the weight on in an otherwise healthy diet.

Good luck, and don't forget to drink water. Often we snack when actually we're thirsty.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    But it's still hard to believe that that those things add up to the hundreds and hundreds of kCal/day that would be necessary for me to get as fat as I got!

Has anyone else had this experience? Have you tracked your food and wondered, "If I'm eating that closely to my target calories and I'm mostly eating relatively wholesome (non junk food) stuff, how the heck did I get to this weight in the first place?"

First, watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Second, buy a food scale.

Third, it doesn't matter how "wholesome" or "junkie" your food is if it is more calories per day than you use. You will gain weight.

ETA: You mentioned that you aren't eating the snacks that you did before. For some, it's as simple as eliminating those and sugary drinks to get your calories down into a deficit. Yes, they do add up quickly, especially if you've also cut out fast food. It's amazing how many calories are in, say, a Sonic Blast or a side of rolls, dips and dressings, oils, things that you don't necessarily think about until you are tracking your intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The thing is, those "snacky" type things are generally extremely calorie dense processed foods...so a little tends to go a looooonnnnnggggg way.

I used to drink around 3 sodas per day...often more...right there is right around 500 calories per day just with a few sodas that I never thought about. Then grabbing little candies out of the numerous candy bowls around the office...going out to eat a couple of times per day where your standard entree is going to be in the neighborhood of 800 - 1000 calories, etc.

When I started logging, it was more of an eye oppener.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your servings? that's what really shocked me.... no wonder I gained.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agree, make sure you use a food scale. Most people do not have a good idea of real portion sizes.

When I first began logging, I was eating not a lot of volume of food but a lot of stuff that was high in calorie processed foods. I didn't feel like I was eating very much. Now I eat a lot more volume of food, but lower in calorie foods.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation to get a food scale. I was surprised that my glass of milk was 2 servings, my yogurt was 2 servings, my ice cream was 2 servings. Basically, I underestimated everything by half.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging I was floored by the how many calories I was eating in snacks! Seriously, sometimes 600 to 800 calories just in snacks! Just cutting out that part alone could be enough to put you in a position to be at your goal. Just depends on what kind of snacks you were having.

Also, make sure your proportions are accurate. I found I was way underestimating what I 'thought' was the right amount of X.
  • Laura87_
    Laura87_ Posts: 12
    Options
    It could be as simple as the fact you're eating less snacks and generally being more conscious of what you eat, but make sure you track accurately by weighing your food and remembering any of the little extra ingredients you might use - like sugar or a splash of cream in coffee, a glug of olive oil when you cook, that kind of thing. Or random bites/tastes of food through the day! They all add up.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation to get a food scale. I was surprised that my glass of milk was 2 servings, my yogurt was 2 servings, my ice cream was 2 servings. Basically, I underestimated everything by half.

Same. My unmeasured pasta was 1.5-2 servings. I'm now finding ways to cut back on calories but still enjoy foods I like, by checking what a serving is and trying to stay accurate.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    My main problem was liquor/beer. I just learned that my favorite beer is 650 calories each! I would have at least 3 of those AND a few vodka cocktails at least twice a week....then the drunk munchies..... last Summer I gave up drinking and lost 20 pounds in one month and did not change anything else....
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Are you tracking your coffee creamer and the olive oil you use to cook - the butter on your toast? and every little bite you take? a nibble here and nibble there tends to add up.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

First, watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Second, buy a food scale.

I love that vid.
    And definately weigh your food. Its so much easier to make sure u have the right amount.
    Also as others said you may find results just from quiting snacking.
  • nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, all. I should have mentioned the scale; I've always preferred using one for cooking so extending its use to post-cooked portions was pretty automatic. And I eat few processed foods. I make my own BBQ sauce and granola, for example. (not at the same time)

I think the difference must be the snacking. I gave it up precisely because of the measurements. I didn't think of the snacks as being all that much even in the aggregate but I'm probably wrong about that. There was a lot of cheese and peanut butter and crackers (two of my processed foods!) in those snacks.

So good news for me! Even after careful weight measurement including oils and whatnot, I get to have some ice cream with homemade chocolate sauce and whipped cream today! :-) But I'll be portion controlling that too.
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think the difference must be the snacking. I gave it up precisely because of the measurements. I didn't think of the snacks as being all that much even in the aggregate but I'm probably wrong about that. There was a lot of cheese and peanut butter and crackers (two of my processed foods!) in those snacks.

Yep, a *single* tablespoon (which is not that much) of peanut butter has almost 100 calories and one packet of 16 of my own favorite crackers has 500. So a "snack" like that could conceivably push nearly 1000 calories for some people!

That's what shocked me so much about my own food diary. I cut out peanut butter, Nutella, and mayonnaise (another shockingly high-calorie condiment) completely as it was those things that were actually adding the bulk of unexpected calories to my diet.

There are much healthier and lower-calories snacks to be had. Though I think you could eat hard cheese in small quantities and be okay. It's very satisfying with fruit.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another problem for a lot of us is "weekend eating". You can be cruising along all week, at or below your daily calorie goal, and then go to one BBQ or birthday party (or both) and eat waaaaaay over the deficit (or balance) you so carefully crafted all week long in about.. 30 minutes. I think this is a huge factor in weight creep for those that think they eat well "most" of the time.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    My food started tasting really good when I accounted for it. I've really learnt to savour every mouthful, and make it last. I go out of my way to get my favourite foods and not the cheap stuff either. If I'm having a glass of red it's going to be oak casked reserve!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I found that by logging everything it made me much more aware of all the little 'extras' that used to sneak past my lips!

Portion control has always been a problem too, now I'm pretty much OK visualising a portion size, although I do still use my scales most of the time to make sure I've got it right.

Still trying to educate hubby re portion control when he cooks though, he came from a family that served huge portions, and the plate had to be cleared before you left the table.

I can still have the occasional treat, just a smaller portion, and MFP also helps identify the 'weekend wandering' and stress days when I may not have been 100%.

I've also learnt that there are lots of lower calorie alternatives.

At the end of the day, MFP only works if you are honest with yourself and truthfully log :)
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "Second, I'm still getting better at using the tracking tool and perhaps I'm underestimating my serving sizes, etc. But it's still hard to believe that that those things add up to the hundreds and hundreds of kCal/day that would be necessary for me to get as fat as I got! "

Hi, I know you later say that you weigh food but it doesn't quite tally with this above but I appreicate that might just be how you worded it initially.

Anyway, I think you've now nailed it down to snacking - why don't you log in (but not eat!) a few typical snacks to see what they were adding up to? That way you'll know for sure.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think that too, but then I realize how much I changed my eating habits once I started logging. When I look back now, only a few months in, it shocks me. Cuz it's totally true, you stop eating certain things just because you don't want to track it, etc. I initially started this journey with no real intention of totally overhauling my diet, but it's something that happened naturally because I wanted to be able to eat more but still be under my calorie goal. I eat PB2, FF half & half, egg whites, & greek yogurt ranch now - just to name a few. Those are things I NEVER ate before I started tracking my food, but as time went on I'd be like 'hmm, I really like xyz but it's super high calorie, I wonder if there's a lower calorie option out there?' & start trying things. I also eat WAY more veggies now. I've discovered so many veggies the last few months that I had no idea I actually liked - like sweet peppers & green onions! WHO KNEW?

Logging has also made me think twice about going out to eat or going to things with free-for-all food [like potlucks, BBQ's, etc] where there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to track my calories. Thankfully, those things are few & far between, so I can usually allow those days to be cheat days & enjoy it without feeling bad. But generally, part of why I think I've grown to love logging so much is that I never used to be so conscious of everything I put in my body, and it's so nice to actually care!