I just need support!

Options
All I know is I need to lose weight! I am 5'11 and weigh in the low 200s. I've put on at lease 50 pounds over the last two years due to high stress in my life. I have completely lost motivation to work out or to even try. My BMI tells me that I'm over weight, which makes me feel fantastic.....NOT. I have used this APP off and on for the past year. Any suggestions on how to make this apart of my daily routine? I'm ready to feel happy and attractive again.

Replies

• SunsetSafari
    Options
    You can add me and I'll give you support and advice when I can. I too ma quite new to MFP, but not weight loss, and sometimes, support is what I need as well :smile:
  • GplusC
    GplusC Posts: 18
    Options
    Exercise at the same time every day.
  • nataliebrooke89
    nataliebrooke89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it.
  • ChiJenn
    ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I have been on and off due to a recurring knee injury. Once I get into a habit of logging everyday it just becomes a habit. Good Luck!
  • nataliebrooke89
    Options
    That's my big hang up on exercising. My knees are really worn down due to playing sports when I was younger. I have a knee brace but all it does is get in the way. I've been trying to do the couch to 5k on my phone when I can stand running.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have started setting alarms on my phone to remind me to log in and track my food. I just get busy and forget and if I don't track then I just end up eating everything in sight.

I also have been setting an early alarm all week to get up and exercise.... So far that has been just extra times I hit the snooze button :laugh:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to make this apart of my daily routine? I'm ready to feel happy and attractive again.
    Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mattschultz59
    Options
    Welcome Natalie, getting going in MFP is a great start. I am a longtime Diabetic and have weighed as much as 425 pounds in the late 90's. This past summer I lost a big toe due to infection from an injury. I decided to get going. I have gone from 314 pounds down to 279 pounds. I still have a long way to go but the accountability here in MFP has really helped. I recommend that you get with a few of your friends and or family and all join MFP, make your diary available to each other. The support is great.
  • Ruth4111gut
    Ruth4111gut Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can add me and I'll give you support
  • nataliebrooke89
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I have three alarms set in for the am to get to the gym! Hopefully I can make it and not be mad at the alarms lol!

When I log in my meals it is hard to be honest but I realize if I'm not honest about what I'm eating I'm only hurting myself and hindering those that want to support my journey!
  • rprobiz
    rprobiz Posts: 3
    Options
    Natalie I also put on 50 excess lbs in the last two years. Really struggling to lose. Restarted MFP today. Hope I can succeed. Wishing you the best. How many calories do you target each day? Russ
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me! I was on MFP before and it really helped me stay accountable and motivated..I lost 25lbs last year but then I got sidetracked and gained it back so Im back at it and hoping to lose it all this time. Honestly, MFP really does help!
  • KendraT1992
    KendraT1992 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found that adding people to my friend list for support keeps me engaged with my logging etc. It's more fun when you have cheerleaders, and people to cheer on along the way :)
    Feel free to add me as a friend (anyone). ~Kendra
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough. We all want to get in a better shape. For some of us we don't want it bad enough yet. Once you want it bad enough all excuses or things you think take to much time don't matter anymore. You will hopefully get to that point. You may even be at that point now. Nothing anyone says here will help you get to that point. It just happens all of a sudden.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I have three alarms set in for the am to get to the gym! Hopefully I can make it and not be mad at the alarms lol!

When I log in my meals it is hard to be honest but I realize if I'm not honest about what I'm eating I'm only hurting myself and hindering those that want to support my journey!

If you worry about having others see your diary, keep it private. However, you have to be honest about what you eat, at all times. If you don't weigh and measure everything you are most certainly eating more than you think. I know it's cheesy, but this line has always stuck with me : "what we eat in private, we wear in public". This has been helping me control my emotional eating that I don't always log. Now I log everything and stay accountable to myself. Because whether I logged it or not, the extra lbs show up on my hips/thighs and they don't lie!

Feel free to add me if you want some support, I'm always here and log everyday diligently. I don't always make the best choices, but I always try and never give up.

ETA: now I have the "hips dont lie" song stuck in my head :laugh:
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I found that adding people to my friend list for support keeps me engaged with my logging etc. It's more fun when you have cheerleaders, and people to cheer on along the way :)
    Feel free to add me as a friend (anyone). ~Kendra

thats exactly right...i add just about anyone because you never know who is going to be the one that has the right word to get you moving..and so far ive met a great bunch of people
  • allisonbmerten
    allisonbmerten Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I just joined 2 days ago and only have two or three friends here so far.
  • nataliebrooke89
    Options
    Natalie I also put on 50 excess lbs in the last two years. Really struggling to lose. Restarted MFP today. Hope I can succeed. Wishing you the best. How many calories do you target each day? Russ

Russ, my daily in take of calories is 1230. That is what the computer told me to do after I put my weight in. Yesterday was the first day I kept track and I was at 1081 so I feel pretty good about that.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Natalie -

I've been one of those "religious" loggers but not so well on the exercise thing (I've been allowing life to get in the way). Log everything, it's your journey and it'll help you determine where your triggers are. Also, realize that it's okay to go over your calories periodically. There's a science behind it but just think of going over as tricking your body so that it doesn't get complacent (kind of a metabolism kick start). I say periodically because being consistent about going over calories (and for me laziness) is what got us here.

Read the Sexy Pants forum. It's got a lot of good advice.

For exercise (I have problem knees too), if you can afford it, get to a gym so you have some machines to use. For me, the elliptical is the most forgiving on my knees and the stationary bike is the least forgiving. Everyone is different so maybe it'll be the bike for you and treadmill for someone else that are most forgiving. Also, there are some leg extension machines that will build the muscles that will help with problem knees (or so my doctor way too many years ago had shown and told me, and when I do use them it has helped). If you have a sports medicine doctor you can talk to or physical therapist that might have experience with knee replacement, they might have some exercises that will also help with knee issues.

Feel free to add me if you need additional support.