Soooooo hungry after working out

Options
Hello! I work out usually in the early afternoon before my lunch, and often come home and am soooo hungry I have to eat several things before I am full but I would like to stop this :/. It definitely isn't binging, it is just being super hungry after a workout. What do you guys like to have after a workout that is no more than 300 calories that never fails to keep you full? And please be specific, don't say "a serving of carbs/protein/fat," etc., I want to compile some ideas! Thanks :)

Replies

• stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I carry a shaker cup with protein powder and drink it right after working out. If i'm at the gym, i use the water fountain to fill up the cup!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I workout early in the morning and on days when I don't think I can make it to breakfast, I just gulp a quick protein drink to give me a boost and hold me over. Only about 100 calories and quick fill. Also a glass of water is a good way to stop the omgallthefoodnao feelings while you get your lunch together.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein drink, either make my own or also use a ready made one. I will also eat a plain greek yogurt with fresh berries, after the shake. It helps keep me full.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you eating prior to your workout? I'm guessing not much at all and if that's the case then 300 cals for a post workout meal isnt nearly enough. 300 cals sounds more like a snack to me.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    A few pieces of fruit and some protein powder is great for me after a workout. Some protein for obvious reasons and some sugar in the form of fruit to quickly replenish after an intense workout.

Some people will do straight dextrose, honey, or a drink like gatorade/powerade.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are around 300 calories and low in sugar. That could help you stay full for a while.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Because of the times I usually choose to workout, I try to keep a protein bar (currently like Quest, biggest bang for my buck) for pre-workout and if hungry after workout, I choose a protein drink like Muscle Milk, usually the light version depending on my workout and how my calories have been to that point.

The amount of calories you're eating pre-workout and the type (protein, carbs, fat, some combination) makes a big difference. I've about passed out (okay only felt like I was going to) because I foolishly tried to use a smoothie with added soy protein as my pre-workout meal (around 230 to 250 calories) and nothing to supplement. It didn't work well and when I "bonk" (I was taught that's the feeling of no energy and like you're close to passing out) like that, I often feel like I could eat a whole side of beef (so yes, extremely ravenous) after my workout.

So you're pre-workout calories are an important factor in regards to how ravenous you are post-workout as well as the workout you're doing.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you eating prior to your workout? I'm guessing not much at all and if that's the case then 300 cals for a post workout meal isnt nearly enough. 300 cals sounds more like a snack to me.

^This!

I've learned to time my afternoon snack and dinner around my workout schedule, otherwise I'll eat anything in sight post workout if I don't fuel myself properly before the workout. It took a few days of me playing around with my meal timing to figure out what worked the best, but what's worked for me is eating no more than 1 hour prior to the start of my workout (I mainly lift), and I keep my sessions a max of 90 min long, including warmup and any cardio time.

My pre workout snack is usually the following:

3/4 cup of 2% Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese
    100g of raspberries
    sprinkle of cinnamon

Comes in at 298 calories, 33 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, 26 grams of carbs and 9 grams of fiber

My post workout snack is usually my dinner, but if I'm really hungry and I need something while dinner is cooking, I'll have a protein shake, which is the following:

34g scoop of Trutein protein powder
    250ml of 2% milk
    100g of raspberries
    1 tbsp (14g) of peanut butter

Comes in at 387calories, 36g of protein, 15g of fat, 32g of carbs, and 11g of fiber

If I don't have enough calories for both the shake and dinner, I'll take out the PB, or use 125ml of milk or water instead.
  • caffeinatedbookworm
    caffeinatedbookworm Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yes, you're right, because I only eat breakfast before my workout. Usually no more than ~250 calories (oatmeal with fruit). And I am trying to lose weight so I'm trying to keep my meals to 5x300, thereabouts
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    emmanuel4everjackson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake 1st and then an apple 10 minutes after (I love my protein powder). Drink WATER, WATER, AND MORE WATER
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    I carry a shaker cup with protein powder and drink it right after working out. If i'm at the gym, i use the water fountain to fill up the cup!

This or a quest protein bar (cookies and cream is my new fav!).