Why don't Aerobics burn as much as the elliptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You don't have enough information to draw conclusions about their workouts. If they are running at top incline and high resistance, it may be possible they are burning high amounts.

And the problem with any machine is that the equations it uses have no way to accurately measure ramp up and ramp down time. They can only plug in your current stats (weight, age, speed, incline, resistance) into a formula and spit out the result.
  • Meekipanda
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was in Toronto the other day, promoting her new workout for Goodlife Fitness. I listened to her being interviewed on a radio station while going in to work, and she said that the elliptical was a joke. She said that it was useless and you may as well do no exercise. I've never used one, so I have no clue. The guy interviewing her said he had just bought one, and she said to take it back as it was a huge waste of money.

It kinda depends on what he was using it for, I guess. I don't think it useless. Anything that allows you to get up and exercise is better than nothing.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've actually had the opposite experience as most people here. I have an HRM, with a chest strap, and I regularly burn 400+ in 40-45 minutes. My elliptical and MFP both estimated less... though as I get more and accustomed to the cardio, my calories have been steadily decreasing and are getting closer to the MFP estimates. I tend to maintain my HR at 165. (To get over 500 I was overdoing it, my HR would go over my max.) I do interval training on it and increase resistance as I get more fit. I can't imagine anyone burning 400+ in 20 minutes though.

I've done power hiking (way back when it wasn't frozen outside) in the hills. It's the same or less intense than when I do the elliptical... unless there are stairs involved. *shrugs*
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There is so much great advice here! Thank you all so much! I'm definitely going to keep my elliptical and just use it to supplement my current workouts. :) And I might even purchase a HRM... :)
  • JessicaPippen
    Options
    I agree. Wear a HRM
    I think the MFP number for elliptical calories burned is outrageously overestimated.

The only way to really know your burn is to get a HRM.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A HRM is a must for accurate calorie burn counting. I don't use the eliptical, but every time i see someone log using it the calorie count looks way too high. The cycling amounts are also greatly overestimated in the database here. One of my friends has done a little survey, and has come up with an average 600-700 an hour for strenous cycling and running for those wearing HRM. I really don't see how any exercise can get you 1000 calories in an hour like i see sometimes.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP overestimates elliptical calories. I aim for 1,000 calories on the elliptical at the gym. According to MFP, that takes me 61mins. According to the machine, it takes me about 80mins going at about level 14 resistance. I use the number I get from the machine and then tell MFP I have only done elliptical for 61mins.

I hope this helps.

You can just override MFP's estimates. Enter the minutes you worked out and then type over the calories burned and change to what the elliptical said.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical i just bought for the first time today. I have a polar ft4 which i used during my workout.

i am 202.8lbs and 6'2 (189cm). I spent 41mins on it and my hrm reported 516kcal burned. I was doing some weights while on it and dancing too. When i calculated my gross burn using my average heart rate of 151 on shapesense.com, my gross burn was 368 and my net burn was 313.

I, my good sir, will take 516 thank you very much. Seeing as i only ate back 200kcal, even if 313 is correct, i am still well within my zone.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was in Toronto the other day, promoting her new workout for Goodlife Fitness. I listened to her being interviewed on a radio station while going in to work, and she said that the elliptical was a joke. She said that it was useless and you may as well do no exercise. I've never used one, so I have no clue. The guy interviewing her said he had just bought one, and she said to take it back as it was a huge waste of money.
    Ouch. I just ordered an elliptical the other day... I wonder if amazon takes returns... :(

Almost every pound I've lost since joining MFP has been on an elliptical, and my chest and arms feel great too. I don't have the context that her remarks were made in, but I certainly do not think ellipticals are a joke. I feel great after using them.

I don't use them often ... but when I do, I really work the arms AND legs both. I get a good workout. It may just depend on the type of machine and its quality (just like anything else).
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Elliptical useless? Good Lord....I can't run due to a back injury, and need low impact cardio. Aside from swimming, the elliptical is the only thing that gets me to a sweat. Granted, it's a nice elliptical with high resistance, and honestly I figure out my calorie burn experimentally (if I lose the expected amount of weight using a given calorie count, thats what I use, I usually take what the elliptical tells me and divide by 2).

Ellipticals are not useless...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This is ludicrous.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I'm gonna have to disagree with this as I lost over 50 pounds a few years ago with just the elliptical + a very small calorie deficit. I do think the calorie burn that MFP gives is way too much, though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    In my experience both machines and MFP grossly overestimate elliptical workouts. My typical workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical, targetting a heart rate of 140-150. I need to sprint intermittently to keep my heart rate in the desired zone and use a resistance of 18 out of a maximum setting of 25.

My HRM says I burn around 500 calories, the machine says around 750 and MFP says 926.

The MFP number for walking seems reasonable. A dietician once told me that 300 calories an hour is a reasonable estimate, give or take a bit for speed and weight.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP overestimates elliptical calories. I aim for 1,000 calories on the elliptical at the gym. According to MFP, that takes me 61mins. According to the machine, it takes me about 80mins going at about level 14 resistance. I use the number I get from the machine and then tell MFP I have only done elliptical for 61mins.

I hope this helps.

You can change the value of calories burned that MFP suggests. Then you can log your true time spent exercising and have an accurate value for calories burned. Don't cheat yourself.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

What a ridiculous bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!
    Jillian just wants to promote her way of exercising! I have a Nordic Track cx1000 elliptical and have had great success with losing weight and toning muscles. You have to use the machine correctly, do intervals and push hard to see results; but it works!
    She is clearly promoting her exercise equipment, videos, etc. <grumbling extremely loud>
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

From her website:
    The Skinny on Elliptical Machines

When you're looking for a break from your usual treadmill routine, you might want to try an elliptical machine. They have some nice features: Most of them have a lot of variables built in, as well as movable handles you can use to work your upper body. Elliptical machines are especially good for people with knee problems, who find the workout to be a great cardio alternative to running because it's much easier on the joints.

Some elliptical trainers have adjustable ramps, which allow you to target different leg muscles by varying the incline. If the ramp is inclined and you're pedaling forward, you're working the muscles on the backs of your legs: the hamstrings, glutes, and calves. If the ramp is at a lower incline and you pedal backward, you're training the muscles in front: the quads and dorsiflexors.

The one thing that makes me wary about elliptical trainers is that it's fairly easy to phone in your workout — especially if you hold on to the static handles. The only handles you should be holding on to are the movable ones that get your arms and heart rate pumping. It's really important that you keep your intensity high. And don't trust the machine to tell you how many calories you're burning — those electronic readouts are not the most reliable. Instead, monitor your heart rate and keep it at 85 percent of its maximum (to calculate maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220). Increase the resistance so that gravity isn't doing all the work for you. Remember, your time is precious and your workout is for you alone — don't cheat yourself!

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/using-elliptical-machines

I agree with the last part about phoning in the workout. You have to increase the intensity/incline and really work the arms as well. Maybe that was the context?