THE EVIL LATE NIGHT SNACKING

Options
Hey guys

Quick stats
21 years old..

Started MFP 3 days ago.

Usually at night I skype with family and watch movies or play games online on my bed and just relax lights of etc. BUT I ALWAYS ALWAYS had a bag of potatoe chips, bar of chocolate and some sort of pudding next to my bed and I would snack on that all night until it was bed time..

The last 2 nights I was not hungry and exhausted I fell asleep.
Tonight im feeling growling in my tummy and I want to snack, now i know I can control myself and drink another glass of water
but is there any way to incorperate a late night snack withouuuuuuut adding the pounds. Not like the chocolate and all of that but just something to nibble on.. or is this a habbit i have got to just get rid of... but at the same time I am thinking to myself no way gf you did not just take a walk or do cardio earlier to snack..

advice

thanks guys

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll get answers all across the board on this one. I am a night snacker. I do my best throughout the day to have calories left for snacks after dinner. I keep all of my meals somewhere between 300 and 600 calories and that leaves plenty of room for snacks throughout the day.
  • jenlindsaymorgan
    Options
    You can snack on "better" preportioned foods. (100 calorie popcorn- 100 calorie chocolate covered pretzels- or 100 calories worth of candy). It is less than what you used to do and it isn't blowing your diet. Plus that stuff tastes good so it makes you feel like you are having something "bad"!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't start eating in my day till 10 or 11 AM. I'm up around 6/7.

So I tend to 'push' my food toward the end of the day- sure I like eating in the morning- but I like eating at night more. I can tolerate being hungry in the morning- It works better for me and it's sustainable- so instead of trying to push it off and force myself to be miserable- I just make it work. Try shifting some meals around and see where you are willing to push off something so you CAN eat at night since it's already your habit.

The other thought that I would recommend not keeping as many high calorie foods around that are easy to snack on- put them away - make lower calorie options more available and prepared for you to grab. I'll always grab whats on the counter if it's THERE.... or what's already pre-divied up. But if it's in the pantry I have to go dig for it I'm not even going to think about it.

I'm also lazy- I eat a lot less at home than anywhere else- because that requires getting off the couch LOL
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great snack...almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds. Pistachios are great in the shell...takes longer to eat them. You can make a batch of healthy trail mix with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut, even a little dark chocolate chips and portion it out into single serving size bags. You will feel fuller and feel more satisfied snacking on that instead of chips. I usually have a Jello sugar free chocolate pudding cup at night. That's what works for me.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Boil a box of eggs and put them in the fridge. Whenever I'm hungry I simply peel one or two and eat them.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys
    well my net for the day is 560 or so..

So could I afford to eat a snicker
    or is that a HUGEEEEEE NONO
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 344 and I would ALWAYS eat chips or sandwiches etc at night. I work an odd shift so I'm usually up until 6 am after work. I keep busy talking on skype or teamspeak to a bunch of friends and play league of legends. It keeps me occupied and if I get a craving I snack on sunflower seeds. Salty and nice protein which makes me satisfied. Frankly sunflower seeds have been great for my diet.
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a huge late night eater. I just factor it into my daily calories. I tend to eat 400-600 calories after dinner in snacks. I do have to say if you're only netting 560 cal/day you're going to get a lot of responses about eating more in general; If you like late night snacking, that might be a good time to get more cals in. A calorie is a calorie, really it doesn't matter so much what time you eat your calories as long as you're at a deficit (but not too big of one).
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

Only a no-no if you don't have the willpower to stop after just one. If you're better off refraining from eating *high-calorie snack foods* on the whole, don't eat it until you're at the place where you're good with moderation.

If on the other hand, you are able to stop at just one, then go ahead! If you can afford it, and it will make you happy, it's a great choice.

ETA: **
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    personally, I have celery as a late night snack. I've paired it with almonds, peanuts, tuna, or other veggies. it's crunchy, so my brain is told that noms are happening, and the mental craving is appeased.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    DeterminedToLoseIt02 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Absolutely have the Snicker! If you don't have the things you love you'll slip up way more.

I have my butterfinger ice cream in the freezer and I keep my favorite chips around the house for whenever I need a snack.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys

Your NET is 560 for the day? Not sustainable. Figure out your TDEE and take a reasonable - no more than 20% - cut from that and eat some food. This isn't a race. Here's a good calculator to help you figure out your actual daily calorie expenditure:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I also do intermittent fasting, so I don't start to eat until 10 am or noon, so most of my food is eaten between 6 and 10 pm. I could never give up my bedtime snacks!! (Yes, snacks , plural.) As for Snickers, as long as you get enough protein and fat, and have a reasonable amount of fruit, veg and grains, you can eat whatever the heck you want. Who wants to give up chocolate, especially Snickers? Snickers makes life good...

Best of luck! :)
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I set a mental rule in my head that I will not eat after a certain hour. For me it is 6pm. This just works. I also put my first meal later in the day like 10 am. I tend to eat the majority of my calories between 3-5 and have a snack right around 6pm. After that I allow myself hot beverages that taste like a treat like General Foods International Coffees - French Vanilla Cafe which is only about 35 calories a serving or I have really good teas with stevia. If I drink hot beverages for some reason my stomach doesn't feel hungry. Edited to add - I basically follow intermittent fasting with a 10-6 feed window. Sometimes 8-5 if I am up really early that day.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Quick stats
    21 years old..

Started MFP 3 days ago.

Usually at night I skype with family and watch movies or play games online on my bed and just relax lights of etc. BUT I ALWAYS ALWAYS had a bag of potatoe chips, bar of chocolate and some sort of pudding next to my bed and I would snack on that all night until it was bed time..

Tonight im feeling growling in my tummy and I want to snack, now i know I can control myself and drink another glass of water
    but is there any way to incorperate a late night snack withouuuuuuut adding the pounds. Not like the chocolate and all of that but just something to nibble on.. or is this a habbit i have got to just get rid of... but at the same time I am thinking to myself no way gf you did not just take a walk or do cardio earlier to snack..

advice

thanks guys
    Hi, friend:) First off, good for you for being on here. It will help you learn so much about daily foods, daily intake, etc. Secondly, have you spoken with your doctor about starting a new lifestyle change? She/He may be able to map out what you need to have through your day, including snacks. I recently started a low carb lifestyle change. I am full by the end of the day and have no desire to snack. I keep things high protein. If you like natural peanut butter, measure out the serving size and put it on celery or just have it off the spoon:) Again----check with your doctor because you may or may not need to watch sugar milligrams and such. Feel free to add me to your friends list. And much luck and blessings on your journey:)
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I set a mental rule in my head that I will not eat after a certain hour. For me it is 6pm. This just works. I also put my first meal later in the day like 10 am. I tend to eat the majority of my calories between 3-5 and have a snack right around 6pm. After that I allow myself hot beverages that taste like a treat like General Foods International Coffees - French Vanilla Cafe which is only about 35 calories a serving or I have really good teas with stevia. If I drink hot beverages for some reason my stomach doesn't feel hungry.
    This is an excellent rule. By default, that is when I stop eating for the day and it has made a huge difference. You have some good suggestions here.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals doesn't matter. Staying in your sustainable, reasonalbe calorie goal is. Netting 500's is not a good idea... using the Scooby workshop calorie counter is. use a sustainable deficit (20%) and eat to that number. Save calories for a late night snack. Problem solved. Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and save a chunk of calories for evening when I like to snack. I stay up and talk on Skype or study until 11 and I'd hate life if I couldn't snack. You can eat whatever times you like, it's all about overall calorie intake.

You don't need a special diet or to give up anything. Start with the individual servings of chips or your usual snack to help with portion sizes.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Quick stats
    21 years old..

Started MFP 3 days ago.

advice

thanks guys

I find REPLACING a habit way easier than ELIMINATING it.

So, healthier snacks.... Now lots of folks might take you right to the healthiest option, but I've found stepping things down makes it easier to stick with long term... First order of business steer clear of trigger foods.

Buy the Individual serving size... I grew up in a large family and was always trained to by the better price per pound value. But the problem with that is there is more there to eat and I'll just keep going. So if you buy the less economical individual sizes.... you've got portion control build in.

Or REPLACE eating with another habit... (I play solitaire on my phone when I watch TV.... can't do that with cheeto crumbs on your fingers. )
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Quick stats
    21 years old..

Started MFP 3 days ago.

advice

thanks guys

Pretzels
    Hummus with veggies
    Popcorn
    An apple with peanut butter
    A banana with peanut butter
    Nuts
    Veggie chips

Make sure you are paying attention to serving size. Weigh all food with a food scale for accuracy.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're at net 560 and have a snicker you're net 780 or so for the day. That's not enough calories. Maybe you're hungry at night because you aren't eating enough. And it would be a good thing to most days have most of your calories in things that nourish you with the occasional calorie dense treat (maybe on a day when you've excersized a lot and have banked some crazy cals).