Should weightloss actually be my goal?

Options
I have been reading countless threads over the past few weeks and I have gathered that I just need to lower my bf% to get the look I want? I am 5'5" and currently 129 so that's in a healthy range, but I keep feeling like I need to get down to 115-120 just to achieve the same look I had at that weight. Should I change my goals from losing 10-15lbs to maintaining but start a program like stronglifts 5x5? I'm not even sure this is a question anyone could really answer but any input is helpful! I do plan on joining a gym this weekend and for sure starting lifting heavy, I am just confused on if I should still be trying to lose weight while doing it! TYIA!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lifting program is a good idea. Maintaining lean mass while losing weight - resulting in body fat reduction - is also a fine thing. Being lighter is a positive in a lot of ways - for example, it's easier to run and move your bodyweight when lighter. Being stronger is also a positive.

A goal of "lose 10 pounds" in a vacuum isn't particularly useful. But weight is part of the overall picture.
  • fizzanda
    fizzanda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So I should keep eating at a deficite while lifting? I guess I'll just have to see what results I get from lifting and stop thinking about the # on the scale! Ty!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale, your weight is fine. Start something like starting strength or stronglifts, eat at maintenance or a slight deficit and I believe you will get the results you wish for.
  • fizzanda
    fizzanda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Once you are at or close to your goal weight, re-training your mind and body to stabilize intake/exercise can be a little tricky, but my general opinion is that if you identify your daily intake requirements, and then exercise to maintain, you should be fine. Don't under-nourish because your body can do really messed up things when you start restricting your diet too much... especially if you start weight training and maintaining an active (cardio) lifestyle.

One more thing, the law of physics can apply here... if you increase your exertion (weight training), but maintain your current eating plan, you might find yourself running out of energy. Stabilize accordingly. MFP adjusts your dietary intake to equal your daily physical activites (if you log them accurately). Stay close to your numbers!

Weight training for women is essential, as it helps build lean musle mass and that has benefits for now and down the road.

Put the scale away so to speak, and focus more on overall health and well being.

Congrats on your success!
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have been reading countless threads over the past few weeks and I have gathered that I just need to lower my bf% to get the look I want? I am 5'5" and currently 129 so that's in a healthy range, but I keep feeling like I need to get down to 115-120 just to achieve the same look I had at that weight. Should I change my goals from losing 10-15lbs to maintaining but start a program like stronglifts 5x5? I'm not even sure this is a question anyone could really answer but any input is helpful! I do plan on joining a gym this weekend and for sure starting lifting heavy, I am just confused on if I should still be trying to lose weight while doing it! TYIA!

If you're not obese weight loss in itself is a pretty stupid goal. I found this myself when I hit my goal weight and experienced a massive "Well now what?" moment. It was incredibly anticlimactic.

Losing weight MAY be involved in achieving some other more worthwhile goal, but it's incidental.

Small changes in weight are pretty meaningless without context. Just getting from 129 to 119 probably won't make you happy. Because it's just a number on a scale. It doesn't say much about you. You might look better, you might look worse.

My theory is that people actually care about three general things: How sexy they look. How strong/athletic they are. How healthy they are. The way to measure those is not with a scale, it's respectively, a mirror, an exercise log, and taking note of how well you feel.

If you're interested in a strength program go for it. If you want to be leaner eat less. If you want to be buffer eat more. Let your weight take care of itself within reason.

(In my opinion women who strength train generally get sexier. And often look slimmer, while weighing the same or more than before they started lifting. Again, if you're roughly 'normal' weight the correlation between weight and aesthetics gets pretty murky)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Here's a great example of a phenomenal body recomp story and the reason every women should lift heavy weights. Her size stays the same at 117 lbs, 131 and 142 -- but you can see the difference in muscle. I find this woman's story a huge inspiration.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/