juicing - help please!

Options
I've been juicing about three weeks now and I love it! I've never felt better and I've already lost ten pounds. However I'm really interested in doing a 3-10 day juice cleanse/fast.

My main concern with this is that I can't bring my juicer into work with me...I've read so many conflicting articles as to whether or not juice is okay hours after it's made but I wanted to come to the community here for advice. If I make my "lunch" juice at home in the morning and drink it while I'm at work will it still be good or will it go bad and lose nutrients? And what would the expiration mark be? I typically make my breakfast around 7am and drink it by 9am, if I make my lunch at 7 as well will it still be good around noon?

Replies

• Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It'll be fine for the day. I think it's around 24 hours before it becomes an issue, but a few hours between breakfast and lunch isn't an issue. Try and keep it in a glass jar though, not plastic.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Keeping it tightly sealed and preferably in glass, I think.... it should be fine. For some reason, I found that juice I stored and didn't drink right away, didn't taste as good. I was able to take a juicer to work, so, I did always drink it fresh. But, I'd be interested to hear if you find your 'saved' juice doesn't seem to taste as good as 'fresh made.'
  • juicing101blog
    Options
    If you are careful you can store your juice for up to 24 hours with only a moderate nutritional decline. You can do this by putting the juice in a glass jar (or mason jar) with an airtight lid and filling it to the very top. There should be as little air in the jar as possible because it is the OXYGEN in the air that will "oxidize" and damage the juice.

It’s a good idea to use an opaque container to block out all light which would also damage the juice and then store it in the refrigerator until about 30 minutes prior to drinking since ideally the juice should be consumed at room temperature.

You can read more about juicing and saving it for later here:
    http://juicing101.info/can-i-juice-in-the-morning-and-drink-it-later

I hope this helps. :)
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you can, try and find an airtight, dark colored bottle.

I try and do this, because if it's good enough for craft beer, it's good enough for my juice. (Glass would be preferred.)