source of protein

Options
Hi all, I need to find an alternative to get a good protein intake.. I recently found out I was eating too much tuna and now I must avoid it, because of mercury concentrations. The weekly recommended intake is between 6 to 8oz and I was eating close to 16. Let's just say my memory has gone down the pooper, I have problem speaking when I'm tired and my insomnia has gone way worse...
Needless to say I must now find a way to keep my protein intake to what it was so that I can keep hitting my workouts. So my question to you my dear MFP people is where do you get your protein form? I use whey protein powder and eat lots of chicken. I try to avoid red meats.... Please, inspire me!

Replies

• stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Chicken is great! So is Greek yogurt, eggs/egg substitutes, low fat cheese, lentils... there's protein to be had everywhere. I'm not sure about the mercury content in other types of fish (tilapia, salmon, flounder, etc), but they're wonderful, low- calories sources of protein, too. If you're using whey and eating a serving or two of chicken every day, you should be fine.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Chicken is great! So is Greek yogurt, eggs/egg substitutes, low fat cheese, lentils... there's protein to be had everywhere. I'm not sure about the mercury content in other types of fish (tilapia, salmon, flounder, etc), but they're wonderful, low- calories sources of protein, too. If you're using whey and eating a serving or two of chicken every day, you should be fine.

Agree, I rely on chicken a lot for protein. Also eggs, lean beef & pork, any other kind of fish besides tuna, dairy products, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and I love the Clif "Builder" protein bars too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My main/typical sources of protein: eggs, milk, beef, chicken, pork, salmon, turkey, whey protein (powder and bars), Greek yogurt. Not necessarily in that order.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Chicken (you can get it in a can too)...salmon (shouldn't have the mercury issues...also can get canned)...lean cuts of pork...lean cuts of beef...greek yogurt...eggs....whey
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone but if you are interested in also upping protein without animal (I AM NOT VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN OR ANYTHING SIMILAR WHATSOEVER HAH) or if you are concerned about fat/cholesterol: beans, nuts, seeds, tofu, avocado, broccoli, or yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, regular cheese, nut butters

1 cp of peas has about 7.9g which is pretty close to milk
    quinoa: 8g per cup
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My main/typical sources of protein: eggs, milk, beef, chicken, pork, salmon, turkey, whey protein (powder and bars), Greek yogurt. Not necessarily in that order.

+1
  • belladilorenzo
    belladilorenzo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best with protein, but I love eggs, nuts (or nut butters), and beans. Soybeans are especially delicious and if you get tofu, it's spongy, so you can make it taste however you want, if you get past the texture. (My boyfriend said tofu is similar to a McRib in texture, but I haven't had a McRib, so I wouldn't know.) Cheese and yogurt are good too.
  • VeroJuly
    VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I used to eat tofu... don't know why I stopped... I could definetly add it up again... eggs and yogurt too. Greats suggestions everybody, I really appreciate it!
  • tariksehovic
    tariksehovic Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Egg whites , Chicken breast, Turkey
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I second the use of tofu, Beans, Nuts, & Seeds :flowerforyou:
  • chase128
    chase128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Egg whites (25cal / 5g protein)
    Ground turkey (30cal / 6.5g protein)
    Tofu (30cal / 5g protein)
    Cottage Cheese 1% (30cal / 5.3g protein)
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My personal favorites are chicken, beans (esp black beans!), lentils, chickpeas (hummus) & high protein granola / granola bars - I love getting a sweet / crunchy "treat" that helps me hit my macros!
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    also look into Quinoa as a rice substitute as well as sub for other grains, it has a decent amount of protein per portion.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of egg whites,,you can eat 6 egg whites for just over 100 calories! lots of chicken and ground turkey,you can use ground turkey pretty much anywhere you would use hamburger.Also at the local health food store I buy a beef gelatin powder,it has 9g of protein per tablespoon so a nice filler if needed,and only 35 calories a serving.
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want to lose weight or have muscle gain. (me thinks)

I've been juicing and sticking to one meal a day. I'm a large guy, not much lifting, trying to drop weight and keep lean muscle.

Lately I've found I get a lot of my protein from vegetables and legumes. Doesn't always have to be meat. Juicing + blending and adding some vegan protein is also great (what i typically consume during the week). Less calories, woooo!
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I, too, had this question a couple of days ago. I did a search and found this topic, which really helped:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I hope this helps.

On a side not, do you really think the tuna is causing those problems?