WHY did you lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It just has to click. I've been slowly gaining weight for the last 12 years, coming to a head last summer when I was 50 pounds overweight. I had tried to lose weight before in the past, and it just didn't work. I didn't have what it took to stick with it, for whatever reason. I wish I could figure out what is different about this time and why I'm gazelle-intense, but I just "have it" mentally and I've got my eyes on the goal.

I have the BRCA breast cancer gene mutation and had a preventive mastectomy and reconstruction in July of last year. I kind of used that as my starting point. I was getting a new chance at the rack I've always wanted ;) so I wanted the body to match. As soon as I woke up from that surgery, that was it. My lifestyle was changing.

My daughter also started Kindergarten this year and I want to be a mom she is proud to have around and see in her school. I didn't want her to be made fun of on my account.

I will say that the first 20 pounds is the hardest. You are only getting small victories, you don't look all that different leading up to 20, and you don't feel like you're getting anywhere. You have to look at it and realize this process is going to take a year or more, so just keep steady, stay the course. Once you've hit about 20, you get a whole new sense of renewed motivation because you see the progress you are making and it's exciting.

Now that I'm on the brink of my final 10, I'm finding yet another burst of motivation. I am so close to being done, looking at myself in the mirror is (almost) exciting now, instead of shame-inducing.

I also agree with some of the others that said it sounds like there is some depression in there. I started counseling last fall for depression and it is helping tremendously. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • fboudreau
    Options
    I have started this journey to a healthier life because first, my mom is currently waiting for a hip replacement and is pretty much completely immobile and my older brother is had horrible arthritis in his hips and his wife left him because he's so overweight and unhealthy. My hips and knees ache and I see the writing on the wall.

Second, On my vacation I did a lot of scuba diving and had to use 20 lbs of weights because my body fat makes me very buoyant. Plus, the dive staff treated me like an old lady because of my mobility... I'm only 48! Next year, I will totally rock the dive team !!!!
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am overweight without any major health problems....YET! I have young children who need me. The main thing that keeps me going is...my world is full of chaos right now...2 jobs, 2 small BOYS, school, demanding job. I needed something that I could do for ME and something that I could CONTROL. This is my journey and only I can decide what I put in my mouth each day! I will succeed!!
  • flyingbeta
    flyingbeta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight because I was tired of being invisible. it's amazing how easy it is for people to just look right through somebody who's carrying around as much bulk as I am (well, was...I'm 30 pounds down since November). I've seen a number of women around my age (I'm 52) who sort of shine from within, who aren't particular gorgeous but who are confident and happy with themselves and it's like they're magnets to other people. And for better or worse, the only way I can radiate that kind of positive energy is to be able to look at myself in a full-length mirror and say, "Hey. Not bad, sweetie."

What did I do? How did I start? I joined a gym and I go every day. I have a pedometer and I don't go to bed until I've logged 10,000 steps. I count my calories (thanks, MFP!). I've downloaded 20 books about weight loss (not diets--weight loss) that are either personal memoirs (The Shift, ...Then Just Stay Fat) or nonfiction (If I am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight). I read at least 20 pages a day. I visit the MFP Success Stories board a couple of times a day to celebrate the successes of my partners in loss. I participate in the Lose 5 pounds in... every month. I try to surround myself with people who are traveling the same path as I am, because it's more fun this way.

Here's the thing. I've been overweight most of my life. As I said, I didn't get around to this until I was 52. I think I can make my weight loss happen, and make it permanent. And maybe now is the time I'm SUPPOSED to be losing this weight. The reason for that belief is this time, it seems so effortless and natural, as if I've lived my whole life this way, as if eating right and exercising and giving/getting support from my cyber-pals is as ordinary (and extraordinary) as breathing. Nobody else could have gotten me to do this. It's for me, and wow, it's been great (and it will be even better).

One last thought - EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON MFP is on your side. We all want you to succeed. Isn't it great to know that thousands of people are rooting for you, right this second?

Good luck, sweetie.
  • marishka04
    marishka04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    it's incredible how many people responded!!!! i read through every single post and it's interesting to see that every single person has his/her own reason for doing this. There is no ONE or RIGHT "motivation" to get you going. looks, children, living, staying alive, vacations, bikini... whatever floats your boat is what you guys are sayin! I love it! I put myself through hell every morning trying to figure out the "right" motivation and it's just such an excuse to distract myself. i love reading all your stories. thank you :)
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try it - you'll like it. Set goals - small ones you can reach AND a big one you want to get to. Do it at your own pace. And above all do it for YOU.

I was a nice 230 pounds and liking my bachelor lifestyle when my future wife moved in with me. 20 pounds came off that first year by simply dropping that bachelor diet - and while I didn't HATE what I'd been seeing in the mirror until then, I found out that I LIKED what I was seeing when I was seeing less and less of myself in that mirror.

The REAL trigger for me was the birth of my daughter. I resolved then and there that I wanted to be around for her and my wife for as long as I could, so I started doing it for them as much as for myself. That was 60 pounds ago; now in a healthy weight bracket, I'm still going strong with goals of increased strength and endurance to be able to handle chasing my little girl around and handling the day to day stuff of a family lifestyle, literally without breaking a sweat. And being a stage actor, I can confirm it definitely doesn't hurt your auditions if you're a lean muscular guy versus an obese guy puffing his way through a scene. It's a hell of a lot easier to be healthy and act big, than to be big and act healthy. ;)

You may have trouble finding motivation, but that motivation exists for you. It's out there! You CAN find it, and places like these forums are chock full of people who are happy to help!

Mark
  • ehensarling17
    ehensarling17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started because A) I didn't recognize myself and B) I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin!! There are many more reasons but those are the big ones.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1205249-5-lbs-to-go-5-4-and-45-lbs-lost
  • Careypea
    Careypea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! This is my first post! :) You dragged me out of lurkerville...but I have been where you are and I hope I can help. As you can see, I have just started my journey. I didn't have a big light bulb moment. I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight, with no success, just more lbs added on.

I just turned 40, and I got to thinking, "My life is sucky. Wonderful in that I have a loving fantastic and handsome husband of 20 years who absolutely ADORES me, 5 great kids (2 that we just finalized an adoption from foster care on Yea!), and I am very much loved. Sucky in that for the last 40 years I have made crap decision after crap decision. Money, life choices, food choices, ect. My family is so effected by my weight (highest was 327lbs). My husband's co-workers think I am a ghost (he is not ashamed of me, I am ashamed of me), my kids think I hate swimming (I actually love it), and my oldest daughter who is 17 is 30lbs overweight. I am getting to the age where health matters, and my family really needs me. My youngest is 8 and such a mama's boy and he would just be devastated if I died from a heart attack. And how selfish is it that I would rather eat a cheese burger than try to be healthy??? And I just thought, I am NOT going to live the next 40 years of my life regretting my decisions. I am just not."

And I am not talking just about food. I spend too much money. I use my time unwisely. I struggle with bouts of depression.

We are Christians, and I know that overeating is a sin, so is overspending, ect. And I was like, "God, I just am so sick of wallowing in the pig pen, seriously I am." Shortly after that I somehow ran across MFP, and the barcode scanner is the coolest fricken thing EVAH! Anyway, I am down 25lbs so far, taking it one day at a time with the focus on not living a life of regrets day by day. My daughter is doing it with me and she is down 5lbs. Yea! We love using MFP. It is so easy. I don't know why this time around is easy, but I truly just give props to God because we have just breezed through this last month by counting calories and I don't have an urge to quit or feel deprived.

I can only say to you that you truly need to take stock of your life up till now. Your life doesn't have to be this way. Yes it is overwhelming to lose a lot of weight, join the club! But look at it from the perspective of not how many numbers have to go down on the scale, but make decisions and life choices starting now that you won't regret. All decisions, money, time, food, ect. The beauty of it is, you don't have to feel overwhelmed because you are only making one decision at a time. Make it, move on. Don't waste your life. I just don't want to waste mine anymore.

Careypea

P.S. I know my thing says that I joined Jan 2013, but I have to say, I HONESTLY don't remember every joining until the end of Jan 2014. Whatever, my journey to making better decisions started then...;)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight because my husband and I are ready for more babies and I want as healthy a pregnancy as possible when I do get pregnant.

Why not just make an event? Plan a BBQ or something months from now and use that as your goal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i understand. i sign up for races because i like having things to prepare for. i like having a date set where i have to be ready to swim bike and run. helps focus my training.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Because at some point you have to say enough is enough and bring your old self back up .
    There is ALWAYS room for improvements

This for sure. Could not be better said.
  • RenaHewitt
    RenaHewitt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I came back to MFP because - it works - 18 months ago I lost 19 pounds with MFP....my reason for joining then, was just to loose weight. This time, it's different! Now, my goal is HEALTHY! And this isn't just a "ME" thing - this is for my whole family to make healthy choices. I will be 47 this year and already have aches and pains that I know will lessen with weight loss. And I have two teenage daughters that I want to be around for. I have lost both my Mom and Dad. And surely don't want that for my girls. Each day, each moment, just think about what you are putting in your body. :) You deserve it!
  • angelicacastillejos
    Options
    if you need motivation check out "fitfam" or "#fitfam" on twitter! That's how i got motivation :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I lost weight because I was fat and out of shape and wanted a change….
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I want to be HAPPY!!!! :happy:
  • nyjocool
    nyjocool Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1)To get off diabetes medicine
    2)To be a good example for my children
    3)To live a long time and be healthy
    4)To have a good quality of life
    5)So my back and knees DON'T hurt
    6)To look good in clothes and not loathe clothes shopping!
    7)Not have sleep apnea
    8)Many reason to do it and no reasons not to!

I'm early in the journey, but going all the way to goal!
  • orangeskiesinlove
    orangeskiesinlove Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1 - For my fertility, I have PCOS and I want to deal with the excess weight while I'm young, so when I start planning for children I wont have to worry about losing weight!
    2- To help manage the other symptoms of my PCOS
    3- To feel more energetic
    4- To help me get a job!
    5- I want to live a long happy active life!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before, to my ideal weight; and now this time I am going to make it stick. For many reasons:
    1)to avoid diabetes, cancer and heart disease (all at higher risk if overweight/obese)
    2)to help with mood
    3)to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol and high liver enzymes
    4)to fit into smaller and more chic clothes
    5)to feel less achy and out of breath
    6)to spend less on junk food
    7)to be more sexy
    8)to avoid discrimination in job interviews
    9)to be able to do really fun sports like windsurfing and rock climbing again
    Glad you asked! Best of luck in your journey.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs before coming to this site, and it all started with a female. We were together for a while and I loved her. She left me one day, and it was mainly because I was overweight and not making an effort to change the fact that I turned to food to help me through my problems. At first I was bitter about it and started losing weight as a way to spite her or get back in revenge. After a while I accepted it. Still hurt, but I got into a mindset like "I've come this far, let's keep going." Then I started to see some results and really got into it. If I ever see her again, I'll honestly thank her, because it was just the kick in the *kitten* I needed to get going. The way I keep at it is simply that I'm disgusted with the way I used to eat. It was so gross that I can't really imagine going back to that. I've had a few days where I tried to eat more than my current diet and I felt bloated as all hell and gross. Feels good to finally be used to eating normal portions. Plus, I've always wanted to know what I'd look like with visible muscles.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Why? Because I'm worth it. Because I deserve it. Because I am the strongest person I know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!