Will drinking too much water cause water retention?

Options

Replies

• kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I remember on the news (orreading, but I think it was the news/tv programme where they tested sports drinks) that more people die from overhydrating in marathons than dehydration. It takes a lot more to dehydrate you and you would probably pass out before you died. But people in marathons drink at every station because they are worried and end up drinking too much.
  • data3567
    data3567 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you are drinking 19 glasses of water a day, I suggest you stop. That is overkill, ridiculous.
    You can actually cause electrolyte imbalances drinking that much water, and that can kill you.

hogwash
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking 19 glasses of water a day, I suggest you stop. That is overkill, ridiculous.
    You can actually cause electrolyte imbalances drinking that much water, and that can kill you.

hogwash
    How is this hogwash, please?

Look up "water intoxication." http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Fail to see anything in there to indicate that drinking too much water is 'hogwash,' and in fact see a specific reference to hyponatremia. I also fail to see any actual science behind his 'uber simple hydration formula.'
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

hogwash

Your ignorance is outstanding.
    Round of applause.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP you are going to drown yourself…back off on the water….seriously...
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    were you drinking that much water because you felt thirsty? If so, there are several medical conditions that can cause insatiable thirst, so if you are feeling the need to drink that much, you should talk with your doctor.
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I was in a 4 quart (16 cup/day) challenge. For the first few days, I felt like a jellyfish but then, I started losing weight and went to the bathroom less than when I was drinking less than 8 cups/day. Now, I'm very busy but I find that if I get over 10 cups/day for several days, the pounds start coming off compared to the pre-weight. Note that I include iced tea as water.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize 19 glasses of water can kill you. Quite a few people on here drink this much or more daily. They run fairly long distances 4-5 times a week, some are trainers, and some do heavy lifting. Death through water consumption, interesting. And PS, a ton of water in a day is quite a bit. If a galloon weighs 8 pounds...nvm...I'm sure you're kidding.
    I was drinking 24, then my doctor told me keep it to 1 gallon, or 16 (of my) glasses, then my other Doctor told me to have more so now I am having 18-20.

Anyway, I think it takes about 3.5 gallons a day for the average person to cause water poisoning.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For the past 2 years I've drank 6 32oz Nalgene bottles full every day while I'm at work. and I drink that much or more water on the weekends...I haven't croaked yet.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Drinking 19C/day can't kill you (obviously), what usually causes water intoxication is when someone tries to drink 1-2 gallons of water AT ONE SITTING, and it overwhelms the kidneys. But it is probably double what you need. Check out the hydration calculator at this link. It factors in your weight, health issues, environment, altitude, exercise, & more...to tell you how many cups of water you should drink in a day. It also has articles on whether you can drink too much water, whether it's good for weight loss, etc.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I drink that much of water because I have low blood pressure and I heard drinking lots of water helps so yeah...
  • data3567
    Options

hogwash

Your ignorance is outstanding.
    Round of applause.

Look who's applauding...
  • data3567
    Options
    Fail to see anything in there to indicate that drinking too much water is 'hogwash,' and in fact see a specific reference to hyponatremia. I also fail to see any actual science behind his 'uber simple hydration formula.'

I fail to see any actual science in any of these posts...
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I fail to see any actual science in any of these posts...

Hypernatremia, polydipsia, and self-induced water intoxication (among other water imbalance disorders) are legit pathologies (physiological and psychological in nature). You are welcome to do your own "homework" - I suggest starting with PubMed.
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    Honestly I only drink water and I go through between 10-12 20 oz bottles (filtered bottles not actually wasting that much plastic lol) to some that might seem like a lot but I only drink when I am thirsty and I have had zero issues with retaining water. I don't know a lot about water retaining or anything but this is my experience.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Honestly I only drink water and I go through between 10-12 20 oz bottles (filtered bottles not actually wasting that much plastic lol) to some that might seem like a lot but I only drink when I am thirsty and I have had zero issues with retaining water. I don't know a lot about water retaining or anything but this is my experience.

If your biological processes are operating normally (which hopefully they are), then you shouldn't experience water retention with your current water consumption levels. (If you are curious how the body maintains fluid balance, read this: http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/kidneyfluid.html). Normally, higher ingestion of large volumes of water alone (when not coupled with greater ingestion of sodium) does not lead to water retention - it's usually the opposite effect because the body is trying to maintain fluid-electrolyte homeostasis and reduce the increased blood volume. Drinking more water triggers the kidneys to excrete the excess water, not save it. So, you may be giving your kidneys a serious workout. I recommend making sure you are getting enough electrolytes if you are consuming an above average amount of water each day. (Search for electrolyte supplements for athletes.)

Edited for typo.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    no

but lots of other factors plus the increased water could - for instance if you were also eating a ton of sodium. Dont worry about water weight fluctuation