How do I log CPR.

Options
As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

Replies

• A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    That is awesome that you saved a life. Be proud of that!

But Honestly, I wouldn't think about logging it. This is your regular activity. This is your job and you probably did the same stuff before you lost weight. So it isn't anything extra like exercising. But I also don't log cleaning the house or pushing a shopping cart around.

This to me would be a regular activity and not something extra you would do to lose weight. KWIM.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your save!!! (Don't know how I would log it)
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It IS quite the work out!
    OP: I wear a BodyMedia Fit armband and every code I've ever worked has been about a 1500 calorie burn. (average)
    Congrats on the save...always puts me on cloud 9! Woot! This 'medic is celebrating with you! :drinker:
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Having performed CPR before on a person before, IMO it would be a minimum of moderate exercise. Im assuming this isn't something you would do at work every day, particularly for that time frame. If you chose to log it make sure you log the minutes you were erforming CPR and not the time your partner/others were swapping out with you
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    HAHA about logging that! CPR is a crazy core workout!!! I can definitely feel the abs burning!!!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What a badass... you save someone's life and then casually log the calories, lmao.

I have no idea what this would actually burn, but you might be able to get a vague estimate by judging how winded you were throughout. Would you compare the exertion to a brisk walk or a jog? I burn about 400-500 an hour jogging at a casual speed.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) ...

:heart:
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats on saving a life. While I know CPR, I have been fortunate enough to not need it so far but I remember that it did feel like quite a work out during the training (and that was for a short time period), so I don't blame you for wanting to log it. Maybe under strength training or circuit training?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Good work on saving her. I don't know what you'd log it under but i would since you probably really don't do it all that often. Then again i count cleaning my room and grocery shopping as i only do it once a month.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I am a critical care and emergency veterinary technician. I perform CPR regularly. It's just part of my job/activity level. I never log it.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say 'awesome job' for saving a life! I'm also giggling about the 'badass' comment. Ha ha.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Hey, you log that for 1 calorie with a note that says. Saved a life!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    Performing CPR isn't easy if you've never done it and/or aren't that fit. 5 minutes and most people would quit. 2 hours is pretty long, so I'd log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks for all the awesome comments! I don't do CPR very often. Maybe twice a year? But this was one hard workout, and it need all the help I can get! I am feeling muscles I forgot I had! I'm truly sorry some of you thought I was being causal or selfish. I did not mean to sound like that. Thanks again!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Some people see this as a little callous. Personally I think it is a valid question 2 hours of doing CPR is hard work - we did like 5 mins in our training course. I would estimate your HR and plug it into a calculator something like this: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx I have estimated 800 calories for the 2 hours.
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some people see this as a little callous. Personally I think it is a valid question 2 hours of doing CPR is hard work - we did like 5 mins in our training course. I would estimate your HR and plug it into a calculator something like this: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx I have estimated 800 calories for the 2 hours.

Thank you. I decided not to log it so not offend anyone. I certainly didn't mean to!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just make sure you account is set to the correct setting. Since your an emt, lightly active or active would suffice. This way you wont have to count this as exercise. Anything job related should be a part of your activity.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that is so awesome! I'm sure you got some good answers, I just wanted to say congrats!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Your job should be factored into your lifestyle/daily activity level.
  • HelloSweetie81
    HelloSweetie81 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I was working as an EMT, I only had to do CPR a few times. But, holy crapballs! I could barely move my arms the next day. I can't even begin to think how to log it, though. Regardless of whether you log it or not, eat a good meal and get some rest. You deserve it!
This discussion has been closed.