How do I log CPR.

Options

Replies

• kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For all of those giving you crap about logging it - they OBVIOUSLY have never done it! It is one hell of a workout - and 2 hours is INSANE! Wonderful that you saved her life - and I WOULD log it (as long as it isn't something that is done daily as a job duty). Since you say it is done infrequently, it is NOT already built in to your activity - and it COUNTS! :)

I have done the classes only twice, and those 10 minute practice sessions made my arms feel like jello. I am very fortunate that I have not had to use the skill, and I pray I never do.

Chin up and feel proud of what you have done!
  • wildcatlizzie
    Options
    As a nursing student who's only ever performed CPR on dummies for maybe 10 minutes, I say ROCK ON! Two hours is hard core.
  • EpicMedic
    EpicMedic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't log it, just enjoy the burn. Congratulations on the save, and to the guy who questioned CPR being exercise, it's obvious he's never done it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I say log it - it's not like you thought, "Hey I need a 2 hour workout today, I think I'll do CPR"

You did what you needed and then probably realized how exhausted you were and thought "Gee I wonder how I'd log this" or "that was a workout" (In the something exhausting frame of mind, not so much a "work out" frame of mind.

I have often went about my day not thinking about logging some activity - at least not until after it was done, and if others are honest with themselves they did the same.

In this case you just happened to save a life - GREAT JOB! And to anyone who hasn't performed CPR - it is exhausting and for 2 hours is amazing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    As a nursing student who's only ever performed CPR on dummies for maybe 10 minutes, I say ROCK ON! Two hours is hard core.

This x100.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Clearly, the people who are being snide about logging it, have likely never done it. For those of us that have, we damn sure DID earn those calories. Participating in a code is one of the most physically and emotionally draining things you can do in this world. And each one, success or failure, sticks with us....forever.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Performing CPR isn't easy if you've never done it and/or aren't that fit. 5 minutes and most people would quit. 2 hours is pretty long, so I'd log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

For real. 10 minutes and I'm spent! 2 hours really is amazing!!! You ROCK OP!!!! :drinker: As for the person who said it is only moderate activity level, they have obviously never performed it. It is definately vigorous/intense exercise. :wink:
  • ucafern2014
    Options
    Just sayin...I would totally be thinking the same thing...codes are friggin' hard work without an auto pulse! If you're not in the medical profession...it's hard to explain. I'm an ER nurse. I totally get it! Rock ON!
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!
  • jcan1588
    jcan1588 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm an EMT too. Not gonna lie we had a code on the beach and i was wearing my body bug, between compressions and bringing the pt up the beach I was kinda curious to see the calorie burn. The places your mind goes while handling an emergency.CPR is not an everyday activity even in the medical field so i say log it but be conservative. Congrats on your save.
  • lissettechao
    Options
    Rock on, dude! :smile:
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Writing it that way gave a lot of credibility. Thanks for not taking offense. None was intended. I'm in NY so a lack of people is never a problem we have here :) In our area, they just got rid of the I's. Your either a B or P.....
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If they did that here, there would be no EMS. that makes me sad...
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Definitely a workout! Don't mind people giving you moral preaching, it all looks different from the other side of the medical mirror.

To answer your question, I'd set my activity level as the highest possible. You'll be running, lifting heavy people and such anyway so rather than log each thing individually just make it all accounted for in your activity level. But if you want to log the one you've already done maybe put it down as aerobics?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

Getting an output back with a two hour downtime is very well done, whether you log the calories or not. I've done many prolonged arrests and they are exhausting and if it is not a regular occurrence for you even as an EMT then it would be in addition to your normal daily activity.

Personally I don't log it as I live and breath resuscitation on a daily basis both in real patients and manikins as my job is Resus educator.

Having just spent the last two long days teaching advanced life support to doctors, nurses and paramedics I loved reading this thread when I got home :flowerforyou:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    wow I'm surprised you lasted 2 hours, I've never heard of only 1 person going that long, good on you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Your job should be factored into your lifestyle/daily activity level.

Even for an EMT 2 hrs of CPR is fricking work. It's rare someone has to do CPR for THAT long- even alternating off like you are supposed.

I don't know what the beef is- it burned more calories than usual - it needs to be accounted for.
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It isn't like he is trying to log this WHILE he was saving her. The work was already done...how does that make him heartless or not considering the persons life?

Rock on with your bad self dude and I hope you find a way to log your burn!
This discussion has been closed.