Semi-novice runner in training for half marathon?

Options
Hi everyone!

So, I've been running on-and-off now for a few years. When I was using running as my only form exercise I got up to 7-8 miles a few times a week. Now, I run maybe 1-2X/week and run either 2-3 miles at normal speed or 30 mins of HIIT sprints. Mostly, I do strength training, and go to the gym 3-4x/week total.

Now, I signed up for a half marathon a few months back and assumed I'd be running more up to this point, but I just haven't (mostly been afraid to lose strength from the training b/c cardio burns muscle).

I'm also about 200lbs now (trying to lose weight while recovering from BED) and since I've gained weight I occasionally get pain in my shins... it's been better lately, though.

Now, my marathon is in 12 weeks. I was wondering if this is still even an attainable goal given I struggle now running even 2-3 miles (I run better outside but since it's cold i'm stuck with the treadmill). Also, if it's possible for me to preserve muscle by training and continue doing weights.

I usually have time to work out 3-5 times/week if I'm not being a lazy *kitten*. What do you guys recommend for a plan? Is this an attainable goal?

Replies

• MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running but I am also planning on being half marathon ready by June or July (haven't signed up for one yet due to lack of funds). I keep hearing that it's best to add no more than 10% or one mile a week (I've heard both).

It seems like you could do it by adding a mile a week, but you should listen to your body and let it tell you.

I am by no means an expert, just going by what I've heard from experienced runners. For what it's worth I started running in December, about 2-3 miles at a time, and can now do about 8 once a week.
  • BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half marathon last week and it takes place on June 1st in Niagara Falls! So excited! I have been a runner for the last 6 months running up to 5 or 6 miles so far. I am excited for the challenge ahead and I look forward to not just finishing the race, but posting a good time!! Nice to see other people training with the same goals!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid to run because you will burn muscle. That's a horrendously over blown issue. 12 weeks is still enough time to get you thru a half. I'd try to get your running up to 3x a week and not bother with any sprinting.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Do your best to try to "train up" to where you need to be, but plan on run/walk intervals during the 1/2 marathon. (There is no shame in that.)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to Hal Higdons novice programme, its 12 weeks and only demands 4 runs a week. I think you're perfectly placed in terms of time to train up for a half marathon

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If your priority is weight loss during training, go for the long runs, if you have to choose.

I think you will burn more calories that way. When you have lost the weight you want to then you may feel in a better position to do strength training. Each to their own though.

Training for the HM should just involve gradually increasing your distance. If in 6 weeks time, how about starting with trying to go 5 miles, then up the target distance by 2 miles a week.....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Now, my marathon is in 12 weeks. I was wondering if this is still even an attainable goal given I struggle now running even 2-3 miles (I run better outside but since it's cold i'm stuck with the treadmill). Also, if it's possible for me to preserve muscle by training and continue doing weights.

It's a pretty aggressive timeline, but certainly achievable, although you need to think about your priorities as the focus on resistance training is going to dilute the effect of any running.

Key to a distance programme is your long run, that should be increasing progressively over the period. By long run I mean 90-120 minutes, not the 25 that you're currently doing. For me a treadmill for that amount of time would do my head in.

In 12 weeks, you're probably now looking at a "to completion" objective, rather than a time target. So three to four sessions per week, anchored around the long run but including one interval session.

The idea that CV burns up muscle is only really valid if you're doing ultra-level training, so 120-180 minute sessions several times per week. It's very much a broscience position. Notwithstanding that, as you wind down resistance training you will see some loss, as you're not training in that way, although you're unlikely to see significant losses in twelve weeks. If you do two or three resistance sessions per week then you'll probably not see any significant reduction.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to Hal Higdons novice programme, its 12 weeks and only demands 4 runs a week. I think you're perfectly placed in terms of time to train up for a half marathon

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is exactly what I was just going to post. Just do it! Write it on your calendar and enjoy checking off each run. Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    cardio burns muscle).
    Not sure where you got this tittle gem from but it's wrong. As long as you are eating correctly and fueling yourself cardio will not 'eat' muscle