Fluctuate 4 pounds daily... How people no they are losing

Options
I literally fluctuate 4 pounds from my day to day. So I don't understand how people know that they lost a pound or. 2 or 3. I'll weigh myself one day and I'm 129 then I'm 132 the next then 128 then 131 then I even am 130 the next it's frustrating when I think there is progress then there isn't!! Grrr

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    stop weighing yourself so often.
  • erickog07
    erickog07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone fluctuates at least around 5 pounds throughout the day most people say to only weigh yourself like once a week or month I look everyday I don't care but I try and only care about how much I weight the day after my rest day. Also is that you in your profile pic you seem pretty fit already and I know it gets waaaay harder to lose weight once your at a healthy range.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If you insist on weighing yourself every day then get an app like "Libra" that shows you the trend line. Daily weight fluctuates, but the trend line is what you should pay attention to. You can also make an Excel spreadsheet if you don't have a smartphone.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Measurements, body fat scales etc. Weight goes up and down.. up and down. I track mine daily just to see fluctuations (because I'm curious) using: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html.

You should really use MFP in combination with taking photos (I still haven't done this -_-), and taking measurements. That time of the month can make your weight jump up 3lbs. If you weigh yourself every day and believe that number you will go crazy.

Here's my weight chart since I started keeping track and see why it is useless to weigh yourself everyday:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet?s=0JW9712117J84W6KG951498QWQ982223W5QJ78QJ&q=histreq&HDiet_tzoffset=-60

Since I also use the IPOARM spreadsheet (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm), I measure myself weekly and keep track of it there. That is how I know that what I am doing is working.
  • Flyingmoney
    Flyingmoney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also if you weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom every day, you'll see the weight is more consistent. You gotta consider you have food/drinks in your stomach, and whether or not you have 'business' to attend to in the bathroom.

First thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom is the ideal time to weigh yourself, and there's no sense getting back on the scale until at LEAST the next morning.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just checked in due to another loss according to my scale but now I wonder if I should have or not. It gave me the same weight today and yesterday using my scale, and the one at the gym today matched it... but now I wonder if I should have waited longer... ugh, will be depressing if its just a fluctuation.
  • viviyueyue
    Options
    Also if you weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom every day, you'll see the weight is more consistent. You gotta consider you have food/drinks in your stomach, and whether or not you have 'business' to attend to in the bathroom.

First thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom is the ideal time to weigh yourself, and there's no sense getting back on the scale until at LEAST the next morning.

Agree! If you want to keep track of your weight daily, morning after bathroom is the time to keep most consistent records of your weight, so do that everyday! I think it helps us being aware of any weight gain or weight loss (yay!)
    As for myself, I weight once in the morning after bathroom and record that down. I also weight once more right before bed but that's just to give myself an idea how much weight I possibly fluctuated/gained/lost that day.
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time after your routines (say, morning after toilet or before bed time) will help limit the flucuations. You have to also realise that the food you eat matters as well.

Things like salt and carbs add to water retention. Which means, if you eat carbs and lots of salt, your body retains more water because of glucose in your muscles. If you eat mostly protein and fat another day, then your water retention drops a lot too.

Drinking lots of fluids will help with this as well.

I only weigh myself when I go to the gym and I'm not bothered with what I see, I'm just curious. The only time I care is every Monday.