For those that lost it, do people think of you as skinny?

Options
2»

Replies

• hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think it may take some time for my brain to understand my new size, I dropped from 20 to 14. People do say I am slim, I still think I am larger. Sometimes:) So they do call me slim, but I don't get it lol
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've changed my hairstyle and clothes as I lost weight so I do occasionally get people/family members saying things like 'you look well', 'I didn't recognise you', etc - comments that are based on a combination of factors. The more blatant amongst them will say I've lost weight or some variant. I still have a way to go but personally I think its good when you get comments like this, you're putting in the work for a reason. I see myself differently now I think its good if others do too.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Did they really think of you as 'the fat guy'? Or did they just think of you as Steve?

I hope they didn't think of me as Steve. That would mean after 2 years, they still don't even know my name.

As I lose weight, I wonder how big of a deal my loss is to anybody or if they even notice. Since my coworkers see me everyday and the weight loss is coming a little slow, maybe there won't be that huge "OMG you're skinny now I gotta get used to that" feeling from everybody else. I think after I lose my 100th lb they'll all notice I lost all the weight, but that it won't be a big deal because they've seen me do it everyday little by little. Over time, when I'm skinny for a year, I think it'll probably just be the norm. Me being fat will just be one of those "oh yeah. You were a little big back then" type of things

I don't think other people see your weight loss as a big deal. They'll notice, some may make comments, some may even be jealous, but they will get used to it much quicker than you will.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, people call me skinny all the time. Which I find hilarious because I don't feel skinny. I'm at a healthy weight and certainly not on the "lower" side of my BMI. However, I'm still the same person with a bit more self confidence and a better wardrobe. :)
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes, people call me skinny all the time. Which I find hilarious because I don't feel skinny. I'm at a healthy weight and certainly not on the "lower" side of my BMI. However, I'm still the same person with a bit more self confidence and a better wardrobe. :)

Exactly. I get comments like that from my family only. But, out in public I get more looks from ladies than I have ever noticed before. I am just at at healthy weight for the first time in my adult life, get over it people.
  • arcticqueen
    arcticqueen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It may be different for women. I had lost 60 lbs and made a comment around my bosses' boss. I stated that I lost that much and he said, "Was it on purpose?" Like I had cancer and lost weight because I was on chemo or something. Months later, I'm still not sure what he meant by that.
    So I've dropped about 70 lbs now and mostly the women that I told I was losing weight comment on my new look. They call me skinny and may be jealous (one threatened to throw a hamburger at my head if I lose more). I've only had a couple of guys comment, ones that I work with every week but not every day. They were very positive.
    The picture I have of myself in my head is not the one in the mirror. I'm not sure how long that will take to change. I was overweight forever prior to a year ago (I remember feeling fat at 7- I'm 40 now). I guess others now see me as normal, but it will take a while for me to see myself as normal.
    I think you will get more comments from those that you tell you are losing weight. Its hard to go up to a guy and say "Hey you're lookin good" without it sounding like you're hitting on him, no matter which sex you are. Could be awkward...
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Did they really think of you as 'the fat guy'? Or did they just think of you as Steve?

I hope they didn't think of me as Steve. That would mean after 2 years, they still don't even know my name.

As I lose weight, I wonder how big of a deal my loss is to anybody or if they even notice. Since my coworkers see me everyday and the weight loss is coming a little slow, maybe there won't be that huge "OMG you're skinny now I gotta get used to that" feeling from everybody else. I think after I lose my 100th lb they'll all notice I lost all the weight, but that it won't be a big deal because they've seen me do it everyday little by little. Over time, when I'm skinny for a year, I think it'll probably just be the norm. Me being fat will just be one of those "oh yeah. You were a little big back then" type of things

I don't know how tall you are, but for me being tall and larger framed, it took me loosing at least 30 pounds for anyone (including myself) to really notice. It seemed to go in spurts as far as others noticing my loss. I got more comments about my loss after I lost 50 pounds, then 65. I'm quite sure that not only will people notice 100 pounds weight loss, they will be very impressed. Keep up the good work!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty tall too, 6'1, and it took about 40lbs before people started to notice. I'm down 75 now. I work at home and only see my coworkers a couple times a year. One woman commented to me a few weeks ago that I shouldn't lose any more weight, that I'm getting too thin, but she only ever saw me as a 280lb weightlifter type. I also had my eye doctor make a comment, I had gone in for a visit last summer, it'd been 2 years since my last visit, and she said "I don't usually comment on this to patients, but have you lost a lot of weight?" It makes me feel good when people notice. We all know it's a lot of hard work and dedication and a degree of sacrifice, and when those efforts are noticed, it should make you feel good.
  • unbalanced1
    unbalanced1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People that are with you daily do not always seem to notice the weight loss unless someone who doesn't see you daily points it out. My wife and coworkers generally don't notice because, like me, they areseeing it come off gradually.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm about 20 pounds lighter now than I was when I started working for my company seven years ago (I'm 5'2", it's quite a difference). People call me skinny, but they never use the term as a reference that I used to be heavier. I think they've all forgotten what I looked like back then.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my mom says I'm getting too skinny, but I still feel and look fat to myself. that's what keeps me running and eating clean. I won't stop my lifestyle so hopefully when my body feels like it's enough, my weight will maintain. but for now I still have a few lbs to lose..ok more than a few lbs but I'm working at it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You'll be they guy that took control and now looks amazing. They'll admire you.

absolutely this.

My boss tells me a lot, just like today, how i am shrinking in front of her face. it feels amazing.