Dumbbells Workout Routine at Home

Options
Hello everyone!

I need some help planning a routine for me with dumbbells.

I am following one I found on internet, but I want to change it.

I would like a routine to Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, focusing on different muscles in each different day.

My dumbbells are 5kg each.

Can someone help me with this?

Cheers!

Replies

• meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    5 kg is too light,
  • DianaAmorim
    Options
    To light? Don't make me feel bad please :D
    I am only a begginer.
  • tomato_77
    Options
    If you use Pinterest at all, there are TONS of ideas and links to all sorts of different workouts. You can find a different workout for every day.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You will have to up grade pretty quickly. Maybe invest in a dumbell set that has the different plates so you can adjust your weight.
    My only suggestion is to keep looking on the web, there are heaps on Pinterest, tumblr etc. Youtube is great too, a few awesome channels that change up at home workouts.
  • cccmmj12
    cccmmj12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I first started using dumbbells, I started off with 3lbs. I've been doing dumbbell training for awhile now and am only up to about 8 pounds. You know your body better than anyone else. What's right for you, might not be right for someone else. The only thing that matters is if you feel the burn!
  • pscott822
    pscott822 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a simple short routine from the Marine corp site.
    What ever weights you are using is personal to you. We all start at different points. the goal is progress.
    What I like about this one is it is based on time for each circuit.

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

(*choose light weights for max reps)

1) Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
    2) Squats - max in 1:00
    3) Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
    4) Bike or jog - 3:00
    5) Military press* - 1:00
    6) Lunges - 1:00 each leg
    7) Bicep curls - 1:00
    8) Bike or jog - 3:00
    9) Tricep extensions.- 1:00
    10) Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
    11) Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
    12) Situps - 2:00
    13) Crunches - 2:00
    14) Stretch
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting you're better of doing a full body routine. Split routines are really more for intermediate/advanced users who hit their muscle groups hard enough that they need more than 1 day of recovery.
    For overall conditioning i started with the Spartacus workout- check youtube there is a 1.0 and 2.0 version it's basically circuit training, cooks the whole body and low rest intervals makes it a good calorie burn for your time investment.
  • justindtapp
    justindtapp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Tony Venuto's:
    You can substitute dumb bells for the barbell sets pictured as well:
    http://burnthefatfeedthemuscle.com/the_new_body_28_workout.html
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great suggestions. My weight workouts are only using dumbbells, but I have an adjustable set that goes from 10 pounds to 55 pounds. It's worth the investment if you want to lift heavy. Load progression is key.

I workout 30 minutes each on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, much like you plan on doing. I looked up compound lifts modified for dumbbells. So now I do the 4 big lifts (OHP, bench, deadlift, squat) modified for dumbbells instead of barbell. Youtube is your friend here.

I also incorporate bodyweight exercises into my routine. I used to hate pushups, but now I enjoy doing them. I'd probably say it's the best full-body bodyweight exercise.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    These are some good ideas, I will have to check them out.
  • flet2
    Options
    All of the above are great suggestions. My weight workouts are only using dumbbells, but I have an adjustable set that goes from 10 pounds to 55 pounds. It's worth the investment if you want to lift heavy. Load progression is key.

I workout 30 minutes each on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, much like you plan on doing. I looked up compound lifts modified for dumbbells. So now I do the 4 big lifts (OHP, bench, deadlift, squat) modified for dumbbells instead of barbell. Youtube is your friend here.

I also incorporate bodyweight exercises into my routine. I used to hate pushups, but now I enjoy doing them. I'd probably say it's the best full-body bodyweight exercise.

which adjustable bells did you get? I've been toying between the bowflex and the power blocks, seems like each has their ups and downs.

+1 on the body weight. My current routine is all body weight with the exception of deads and squats. check out a guy like Al Kavadlo if you want to see what straight bodyweight can get you- calisthenics progressions are very effective.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

which adjustable bells did you get? I've been toying between the bowflex and the power blocks, seems like each has their ups and downs.

+1 on the body weight. My current routine is all body weight with the exception of deads and squats. check out a guy like Al Kavadlo if you want to see what straight bodyweight can get you- calisthenics progressions are very effective.

I got the Weider adjustable set. It's just like this set in the picture, but mine is a few years old now. I got them at Sears during a Labor Day sale, I think. I wouldn't get a Bowflex set. Those are twice as expensive as others just because you're paying for the name.

weidercore.jpg
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What routine do you currently do and what do you like about it?

If it's a circuit with lots of reps like 30 Day Shred 5kg is more than enough! In that case try Shred It With Weights - the first part is available online. It's designed for a kettlebell but variations using a dumbbell are demonstrated simultaneously. It uses your muscles in an entirely different way and you'll find you're quite challenged.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    For overall conditioning i started with the Spartacus workout- check youtube there is a 1.0 and 2.0 version it's basically circuit training, cooks the whole body and low rest intervals makes it a good calorie burn for your time investment.

Just took a look at this, & it is AWESOME!! Can't quite get through it yet (I'm a weakling, lol) but I look forward to getting to where I can!
  • flet2
    Options

Just took a look at this, & it is AWESOME!! Can't quite get through it yet (I'm a weakling, lol) but I look forward to getting to where I can!

I think the 2.0 timing is more realistic. I started on 1.0 with the 60/15 work/rest split and i had to pause to catch my breath after every few exercises. I think the 40/20 they use in 2.0 makes more sense for a beginner.
  • DianaAmorim
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

I will check out Pinterest, Youtube, ... as some of you suggested, and make my own routine with the movements I most like.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Chalean Extreme. Dumbbell bars and plates are much cheaper than the ones like Bowflex and Poeerblock.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm looking for something as well. I've done ChaLean Extreme and I've been looking for something else.