Body Weight Workouts

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
Saw this while I was googling away- and I'm usually not particularly impressed with the standard body weight workouts- this one is fairly comprehensive for variety- so thought I would pass along. I wouldn't say THE toughest- but it's definitely got some good ones that aren't ridiculous "on the beach in my bikini" workout body weight type things

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1009449-15-toughest-doanywhere-workout-moves/

for those of you who can't see it- here's the list (With added commentary :p)

1.) Tricep step ups or Up/Downs

2.) Breakdance Thrusters I do a version that's a turn over toe touch push up- great exercise I think- careful with the shoulders though.

3.) Pike Push up or Monkey push ups (her form is atrocious- body rock has a better version of this)- still killer for the shoulders

4.) Shoulde Series - looks like a modified YTPL program

5.) 'Fish out of water' (WTF is with these names- this is a modified side V Up)

6.) Hindu Push up- More commonly known as a dive bomber- (well technically modified as there is a slight difference between hindu and dive bombers to be honest)

7.) Split Jumps or Split Lunges

8.) Full Leg circle (I got nothing for this)

9.) Circular Mountain Climbers- we didn't have a name for these- just wide mountain climbers- either way they suck- I think mountain climbers are worse- but this is a nice variation

10.) Plank Jump Runs- I called them mat jumps- either way. Brutal- you can just jump laterally too on these- side to side- super suck.

11.) Single Leg squat jump- that's what it is- and it sucks

12.) Rain Dance Warrior- over head squat jump with a 180 turn.

13.) Burpee tuck jumps- they suck.

14.) Lateral plank pop- holding the plank you 'pop' laterally side to side.

15.) Single leg tuck jump-

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    love this. thank u.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    commenting so I don't lose this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    why are body weight workouts such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... starts doin pushups

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's burpees.

that being said- great post/write up.
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nice ones! I also recommend these, they are also available in printable format! :)

http://www.mindfulbody.com/body/strength-training/strength-training-routines-with-no-equipment
  • thejadegirl
    thejadegirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nice set - will work some of these in. If you want to some more extreme ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw
  • JoRocka
    Options

I dunno- I had the same opinion about "how do I run" LOL- my answer was "go do the thing"- wasn't well received.
    BW stuff I did exclusively for almost 2 years- I like the explosive plyometric/calethetic nature of body weight stuff.

yes push ups- good- but I personally liked the jumping variety.

I've done almost all of these things- or a variation of them- but I figured people might like a condensed list of more advanced/variety type moves. :) just sharing the article.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I dunno- I had the same opinion about "how do I run" LOL- my answer was "go do the thing"- wasn't well received.
    BW stuff I did exclusively for almost 2 years- I like the explosive plyometric/calethetic nature of body weight stuff.

yes push ups- good- but I personally liked the jumping variety.

I've done almost all of these things- or a variation of them- but I figured people might like a condensed list of more advanced/variety type moves. :) just sharing the article.

So+Close+Yet+So+Far.JPG
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is quite helpful for me.
  • JoRocka
    Options

So+Close+Yet+So+Far.JPG

mahhhhhhhhh cry cry - can't see it.

all I can see is "so close yet so far" for the image on blog spot... assuming it's a smart *kitten* thing. LOL- shrug it is what it is.

damn fire walls.
    Thanks, this is quite helpful for me.

good I'm glad.

always helpful to have some tools in your back pocket to take with you "in case of emergency'!!!!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this
  • skinnylove136
    skinnylove136 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Commenting to save workout
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's no secret I'm a fan of BW work, but I just can't get into workouts like this that just kind of randomly throw a bunch of moves together and give them catchy names. There's no arguing some of those moves are difficult and will have you begging to stop, but to me it lumps into "insanity" type videos. Just not my thing, but many people love it and have great success.
  • Vnm77
    Vnm77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love body weight workouts ...:you can do them anywhere without needing equipment. Plus when you are over weight, it really reminds you how much extra weight you are lugging around! Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" military workout books and DVDs are really good and quick and effective!
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well, I like body weight workouts for this reason: I'm behind today in my strength exercises and can't carry my weights to work but can do my sets of push ups (standard, V-shaped, wide push ups) at work and at least get something accomplished in that area.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's no secret I'm a fan of BW work, but I just can't get into workouts like this that just kind of randomly throw a bunch of moves together and give them catchy names. There's no arguing some of those moves are difficult and will have you begging to stop, but to me it lumps into "insanity" type videos. Just not my thing, but many people love it and have great success.

Yeah I tend to have a little more direction in my body weight stuff rather than generic HIIT stuff thrown together- I like to feel like it's a cohesive workout.

I'm not sure this was considered a 'workout' for live strong- or just - hey here are some difficult things you can do. I like to think of body weight things the same as lifting- you can tailor it and adjust it- they are building blocks you need to arrange.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I love body weight workouts. I'm a work-at-home toddler mom w/ a husband who travels, so the gym isn't always an option. We play / go on walks / ride bikes (w/ a bike trailer), but it isn't terribly intense. Taking 5-10min several times a day to fit some of these in is way easier than taking an hour in one block!