Can you use Pam (spray oil) as substitute for butter

Options

Replies

• nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I use the "I can't believe it's not butter spray" it tastes just like butter and I spary it on toast and when I need to spray a pan to cook in, Pam is not good for cookware as it leaves a sticky residue that ruins nonstick pans. There are no calories in in either!!
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ok, i sprayed pam into the flour and other ingredients for 3 minutes and added 250ml of milk instead of 150g of butter

it turned out pretty good

But...
    1minute spray = 37.8g of fat = 340calories

You just used an estimated 1020 calories of canola oil plus milk to replace 150g of butter? ICK! :sick:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Next time so you know, you can replace butter with applesauce, I do that all the time in cakes and brownies ;) also you can use plain greek yogurt instead of butter

hmm yes ive heard of using applesauce, but i was making a pizza and didnt want the dough to taste like apples

Wouldn't it of been easier to of ordered take out?

Wow that was a lot of hassle for some Teflon pizza!
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    ok, i sprayed pam into the flour and other ingredients for 3 minutes and added 250ml of milk instead of 150g of butter

it turned out pretty good

But...
    1minute spray = 37.8g of fat = 340calories

You just used an estimated 1020 calories of canola oil plus milk to replace 150g of butter? ICK! :sick:

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade

i didnt have butter, life gave me pam, i made pizza
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use the "I can't believe it's not butter spray" it tastes just like butter and I spary it on toast and when I need to spray a pan to cook in, Pam is not good for cookware as it leaves a sticky residue that ruins nonstick pans. There are no calories in in either!!

There are calories in it. It's margarine, just in small amounts until you spray it 25 times to cover the toast.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    since its in gas form wont it just evaporate?

Gas can't evaporate.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're serious, but in case you are, there ARE calories in I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. If you're using more than a squirt or two, you need to count those.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't tell what I'm looking at, but just for future reference pam is basically canola oil, unless it's the olive oil PAM. If it's the olive oil PAM it is of course bacon.

So if you want the real calories in pam and not just the calories based on 1/3 of a second of spray you need to put what you're using in a real measuring cup and find the calories for canola oil . . . or bacon.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ah, pizza! Thanks for showing the results.

I'll change my original answer.

Yes, pizza dough doesn't need butter, you can use oil.
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    oh goodness no lol not in that case now if you were pan searing some food in a skillet you can sub it for butter than lol

- James
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Well I've learned a lot today. :smile:
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    how do you make the pictures smaller?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You may want to read this.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/parkay-spray-lawsuit_n_2956709.html

While it addresses one company, it applies to all the "no calorie" sprays as well. It is a loophole in the labelling laws basically. There are calories in it, just the actual "serving" listed has so few that it is allowed to be listed as 0. Once you start using more than the "serving" (which is quite small), the calories start to add up.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is just a slap in the face to pizza. No pizza recipe should EVER call for butter and certainly not chemical spray. I would rather do 1000 burpees and eat a regular pizza than eat that chemical creation.
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    That is just a slap in the face to pizza. No pizza recipe should EVER call for butter and certainly not chemical spray. I would rather do 1000 burpees and eat a regular pizza than eat that chemical creation.

LOL. do you realize that i HAD NO BUTTER OR OIL. pam was my only option.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    NO.

Pam contains "propellant", which is food-grade alcohol, nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, and/or propane.

Do you really want to ingest that as a substitute for butter just so you can eat a ton of crap??? :noway:
    Yeah pretty much this. I'm still trying to wean off Pam for this reason.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me worry for the safety of that chick Nutellahbrah was taking out for Valentine's Day.

tumblr_mc244qBrCY1rfvxe2o1_500_zps0ffbed47.gif
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me worry for the safety of that chick Nutellahbrah was taking out for Valentine's Day.

tumblr_mc244qBrCY1rfvxe2o1_500_zps0ffbed47.gif

QFT

(this and the other threads floating around as well)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Have you not made it yet. It would have been quicker to pop to the shops and buy some butter!!

And if you had walked then screw the extra calories - you're just eating them back. :laugh:

I live 120km from the nearest supermarket and i can't drive my car right now because i put the wrong octane gas in it, so im going to use the pam and i will report back and post my results.

:smile:

'i put the wrong octane gas in it'

Have you not learnt your lesson already? :smile:

Maybe make something else for lunch?

learnt is not a word

have you learned your lesson kind sir?

In England, where the English speak English it is a word.

Pretty sure its called great britain and they speak british english

England is a part of Great Britain, and it is the part where the English language comes from. The Welsh language comes from Wales; Scots Gaelic from Scotland; and Irish from Ireland (part of which is still part of Great Britain). Pretty much all British people speak English, and everyone in the Republic of Ireland. But the language originated in England, hence why it's called English.

It might be a good idea if you didn't try to teach British people about their own country.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Have you not made it yet. It would have been quicker to pop to the shops and buy some butter!!

And if you had walked then screw the extra calories - you're just eating them back. :laugh:

I live 120km from the nearest supermarket and i can't drive my car right now because i put the wrong octane gas in it, so im going to use the pam and i will report back and post my results.

:smile:

'i put the wrong octane gas in it'

Have you not learnt your lesson already? :smile:

Maybe make something else for lunch?

learnt is not a word

have you learned your lesson kind sir?

In England, where the English speak English it is a word.

Pretty sure its called great britain and they speak british english

England is a part of Great Britain, and it is the part where the English language comes from. The Welsh language comes from Wales; Scots Gaelic from Scotland; and Irish from Ireland (part of which is still part of Great Britain). Pretty much all British people speak English, and everyone in the Republic of Ireland. But the language originated in England, hence why it's called English.

It might be a good idea if you didn't try to teach British people about their own country.

:heart:

I have to say, it did make me smile this morning though.