Plateau? Already?

Options
I have over 150 pounds to lose, so I don't think that's what's going on, but I'm stuck, on week 3 and have even gained and not losing anything! I have kept my 1,000 calorie deficit every single day but 1, tracked every single thing, and I'm at a loss. Ideas?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open...sorry can't really help all we can do is give generic advice.
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have changed it to public 3 times. Let me try again.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally defined as 4-6+ weeks without a loss while keeping your routine steady. A week or two without a loss is a normal stall during the process, especially in the early weeks while your body sorts itself out. If it's only been a week without a loss it's usually a water weight thing. Your body holds onto extra water after heavy exercise, during your period, because of sodium, carbs, stress, etc. Double check your numbers and make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids to help flush out any excess, but it's probably nothing to worry about and will sort itself out in another week or two.
  • Kara_Lisa
    Options
    your diary isn't open...sorry can't really help all we can do is give generic advice.

Hopefully that worked? Not sure why it keeps changing back? The past two days I started actually entering all food with advice on here instead of doing quick add calories. I have a fitbit, so my deficit gets calculated automatically based on my activity. I am disabled (have a bad foot), so am primarily trying to lose weight with diet until I get surgery.

Any advice would be wonderful!

Thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and yah ...you don't weigh your food.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

This link has a video that is great to watch. After I watched it I bought a food scale.

For example your peanut butter...when you weigh out a serving which is typically 15g...vs using a tbsp...big difference.

You are using Quick add calories as well...I understand sometimes it's just easier but it is a recipe for under estimating.

I was going to do that last weekend when I had company over for snacks...and I estimated about 700 calories...after I decided no I will follow my own advice I logged it all...it was over 1200....:noway:

As well on this past weekend you were over by almost 2000 cal and you often go over by "bits" and that includes eating back all of your exercise calories.

I would suggest really nailing down your logging...using a scale and cups for liquids...only eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories...and if you are planning a "fun" weekend understand it will slow your weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you aren't going to have linear losses...it would be nice if it worked that way and you lost exactly X Lbs per week, but it doesn't. It simply is not a linear function, it is a general trend over a much longer period of time. You will have stalls where you losing nothing...you will have weeks where you "whoosh" a big loss...and then turn around and have a small gain because that big "whoosh" wasn't all fat...some of it was water and waste, etc and maybe the next time you weigh in you have more of either or both in your system.

It is a general trend over time...you just have to keep on keepin' on and not get too wrapped up in the minutia of day to day and week to week...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnHGVuS4ONo-u6kK_PUJuAzdzY6tBp2A04Yiggl_GfcIg9-bY2kg
  • Kara_Lisa
    Options
    Awesome advice! Yes, I actually just stopped doing the quick add 2 days ago, and it has helped to open my eyes. Weighing instead of measuring is great advice! I do have a food scale, and usually weigh out things like the veggie crisps, etc. But never thought to weigh peanut butter. Haha!

Normally at this point, I think, "what the hell!" and I throw in the towel. Not this time, no way, no how. This is why I'm connecting and tweaking.

Thanks so much!!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Respect to OP for such a great attitude! I can tell you're going to make it! Good luck!
  • heatblair
    heatblair Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My weight didn't change for WEEKS. It was so frustrating. I would weigh myself daily, and one day it would go down 0.5 lbs, the next day go up 0.5 lbs. Finally I decided to weigh myself once a week, upon waking up on Monday (after "voiding my bladder" as Sheldon on Big Bang Theory would say!). I strip down to my bra and knickers and then weigh myself. I figure if it's the same day each week and just about the same time, I can really get a good idea about how much I am losing (or not losing).

I like the previous advice about weighing everything. I now weigh everything I consume, and use a measuring cup for liquids, such as wine.

I do my best not to eat back my exercise calories, though once or twice per week I do end up eating some (or all!) of them back.

I will eat something I have an urge for. If I want beef jerky or Taco Bell, I eat it. But I make sure to eat 1 serving or half a serving and drink 16 ounces of water before I eat. If I go to Fast Food (which my husband loves to eat and wants it everyday for dinner), I research beforehand and order what will be within my calorie budget. Or I eat dinner before he gets home from work and I won't eat the Fast Food at all. I swear, I think I'm "addicted" to fast food - the ease and quickness of it, and the fact my husband complains about healthy meals I spend hours cooking. Just hearing him b*tch is enough to make me go out and order food! LOL

I try to drink at least 3 liters of water per day. Some people say that's too much water, but I stagger it. My plastic water cup holds 16 oz., so I drink one when I wake up, one with breakfast, one with my morning snack, one with lunch, one in the afternoon, one with dinner, and one before bed.

I split my daily calories up into meals & snacks so that I try not to go over budget in one meal. This works most of the time, but not always. For example, breakfast is about 200 calories, morning snack (@ 10am) is 100 calories, lunch is 200 calories, afternoon snacks are 100 calories each (@ 2pm & 4pm), and dinner is 500 calories (@ 6pm). And I always assume I will go over a little bit, if I have another snack or a glass of wine.

I think the key for me is to not restrict any food, just the amount of it. And I try to eat more slowly and think about the tastes and enjoy them, that way I can stay within the portion I have allowed myself to have.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If I go to Fast Food (which my husband loves to eat and wants it everyday for dinner), I research beforehand and order what will be within my calorie budget. Or I eat dinner before he gets home from work and I won't eat the Fast Food at all. I swear, I think I'm "addicted" to fast food - the ease and quickness of it, and the fact my husband complains about healthy meals I spend hours cooking. Just hearing him b*tch is enough to make me go out and order food! LOL

Junk punch!
  • Kara_Lisa
    Options
    If I go to Fast Food (which my husband loves to eat and wants it everyday for dinner), I research beforehand and order what will be within my calorie budget. Or I eat dinner before he gets home from work and I won't eat the Fast Food at all. I swear, I think I'm "addicted" to fast food - the ease and quickness of it, and the fact my husband complains about healthy meals I spend hours cooking. Just hearing him b*tch is enough to make me go out and order food! LOL

Junk punch!

Multiple junk punches!
  • Kara_Lisa
    Options
    Respect to OP for such a great attitude! I can tell you're going to make it! Good luck!

This totally made my day! Thank you!!
  • Kara_Lisa
    Options
    My weight didn't change for WEEKS. It was so frustrating. I would weigh myself daily, and one day it would go down 0.5 lbs, the next day go up 0.5 lbs. Finally I decided to weigh myself once a week, upon waking up on Monday (after "voiding my bladder" as Sheldon on Big Bang Theory would say!). I strip down to my bra and knickers and then weigh myself. I figure if it's the same day each week and just about the same time, I can really get a good idea about how much I am losing (or not losing).

I like the previous advice about weighing everything. I now weigh everything I consume, and use a measuring cup for liquids, such as wine.

I do my best not to eat back my exercise calories, though once or twice per week I do end up eating some (or all!) of them back.

I will eat something I have an urge for. If I want beef jerky or Taco Bell, I eat it. But I make sure to eat 1 serving or half a serving and drink 16 ounces of water before I eat. If I go to Fast Food (which my husband loves to eat and wants it everyday for dinner), I research beforehand and order what will be within my calorie budget. Or I eat dinner before he gets home from work and I won't eat the Fast Food at all. I swear, I think I'm "addicted" to fast food - the ease and quickness of it, and the fact my husband complains about healthy meals I spend hours cooking. Just hearing him b*tch is enough to make me go out and order food! LOL

I try to drink at least 3 liters of water per day. Some people say that's too much water, but I stagger it. My plastic water cup holds 16 oz., so I drink one when I wake up, one with breakfast, one with my morning snack, one with lunch, one in the afternoon, one with dinner, and one before bed.

I split my daily calories up into meals & snacks so that I try not to go over budget in one meal. This works most of the time, but not always. For example, breakfast is about 200 calories, morning snack (@ 10am) is 100 calories, lunch is 200 calories, afternoon snacks are 100 calories each (@ 2pm & 4pm), and dinner is 500 calories (@ 6pm). And I always assume I will go over a little bit, if I have another snack or a glass of wine.

I think the key for me is to not restrict any food, just the amount of it. And I try to eat more slowly and think about the tastes and enjoy them, that way I can stay within the portion I have allowed myself to have.

Really good stuff in here. Thank you so much for laying it all out for me. I think I should try breaking my meals up. Even fitbit is telling me I eat too much at night, but it's a habit, so I'm trying to just lay low for a bit so I don't get too overwhelmed. I was looking for an alternative to my creamer in the AM. I like my coffee sweet, so use french vanilla creamer, and quite a bit. That's a killer! I found sugar free, but only in small bottles, and very expensive. Any other tips?
  • heatblair
    heatblair Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are some natural sweeteners that are low calorie and no calorie. I think it's called Stevia? I have some in my pantry, but I'm upstairs, so I'll check tomorrow and message you on Facebook. :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

This totally made my day! Thank you!!
    I was going to make the same comment...often an OP gets mad when people make suggestions to help and you seem to really be willing to try things.

the food scale seriously is the BEST way to make sure you are logging accurately...a cup of cereal is usually not the full cup annd ice cream too... and the peanut butter...*sigh* two tablespoons the way i measure it was more than what it should have been in grams.

you got this:flowerforyou:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    1,000 calorie deficit?! Isnt that a bit much?

3 weeks is early days but... if.... it continues, then you definitely arent eating at a calorie deficit. Either that or you could be in the supposed starvation mode, although I have no real knowledge of that so someone else may wish to elaborate on that.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That large of a deficit is usually not a big problem for folks that have a lot to lose (I was in probably a 1,000-1,500 calorie deficit when I was over 400 pounds once you factor in the exercise and all). Keep at it OP, you got this and I agree with the scale. For me, it is kind of fun to weight things out and fitting my macros is like an art :)