I don't want to look skinny!

Options
Hello,

I'm new to this community. need suggestions!

I'm underweight. I used to weigh 55kilos back in 2006. want to gain it back!!
to reach the goal of gaining 1 pound in a week, with current diet
i am 200 short on calories,
640 short on sodium,
50 short on sugar and
excess of carbs.

Now i'm confused what else to add in my diet so that i can seriously gain weight and look healthy.
weight- 46
height- 5'4
age- 27
vegetarian for a year now.

Replies

• disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I don't know anything about gaining weight in a healthy manner but there is a whole forum on here for people whose goal it is to gain. They probably could give you some good advice on getting started.
  • todd1982
    todd1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd consider a hamburger.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Weightlift, eat enough protein and if you are not doing it for spiritual or ethical reasons, add meat back in there! It's not hard to add extra calories, but if you're appetite is small try adding more fats when you cook or drink juice. Things that are very calorie dense, like Pop-Tarts and candies may work too.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Give heavy weight lifting a whirl! I just started a few weeks ago, but it already has slimmed me down and filled me out in the right places. Best of luck:)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar, carbs or sodium. Just focus on increasing your calories and getting enough protein. The rest will sort itself out.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Add in more nuts. 1 cup of unsalted, natural peanuts has approximately 800 calories, 70 grams of fat, 38 grams of protein, 12 grams of fiber, tons of potassium and vitamins.

Peanut butter or any nut butter really will add lots of calories for a small amount, and they are healthy.

Olive oil or coconut oil is also healthy and very calorie dense. 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil has about 100 calories.

Soy - if you are a vegetarian, soy can be good for you when it is fermented. Try eating more foods with it.

Bananas, nutrient rich, light, and pretty good for calories to squeeze in somewhere.

Chocolate milk - delicious, nutritious, calorie dense.

Pastas - very calorie dense, especially when you start adding in cheese or cream sauces. If you want a healthier option, use whole grain or wheat pastas, and try making your own sauces.

Donuts, pastries, anything in that arena is calorie dense, but not particularly healthy. In moderation though, 1 donut a day isn't going to hurt your health. Just avoid any with trans fats. Most places don't allow that in their food anymore, anyways.

Hope this helps. Good luck. My husband has trouble keeping weight on so I do have some experience with this stuff, message me if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just switch out some of those carbs for fat and protein and work those muscles.

Fat has more than twice the calories of carbs and protein. Olive oil, nuts, avocado, seeds.

Eat more protein and do strength training. Weights, calisthenics (bodyweight exercises), resistance bands, whatever method you prefer, but make it difficult. Workouts should not be easy. This will help you build muscle.