Protein shakes for girls?

Options
As a girl, can I drink protein shakes? I heard they help you lose weight but I also heard once you stop drinking them you gain weight. I don't know. I'm not trying to "bulk up" at all and I eat chicken/salmon everyday so I'm not sure if I would even need a protein shake, but I'm just wondering. Would protein shakes aid weight loss or cause weight gain during/after?

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have protein shakes to try and up my protein, to keep within my marcos.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    No. There are no specific drinks for girls vs guys. The only way you'll gain weight is eating too much. Protein is very important for you for muscle repair and retaining muscle while losing weight. That being said, you don't need a protein shake unless you need something quick to get your protein for the day. If you're getting it elsewhere, you don't need them. It's generally recommended 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

On the weight loss front, all you need is a calorie deficit, no specific foods are needed. Just eat a balanced diet and squeeze in ssome fun stuff and stay consistent.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've never heard the one about once you stop drinking them you gain weight! Certainly not true unless there is some other factor involved (which I can't imagine what that would might be). As for them helping you lose weight, sure they can. But only in the context of making them a part of a balanced diet. More specifically, protein is a needed nutrient. It helps keep you satisfied so you don't eat unnecessary carbs and fat, but it also is important for maintaining and building muscle. That in turn, helps you lose fat.

What you can and should do is look at your food log and ask if you need a protein shake. Are you getting enough protein without them? Can't tell you how much you need.... It'll be different for everyone based on weight and how much/what kind of exercise you are doing. If you aren't getting enough protein. find one that's reputable and I'd suggest not too high in carbs and fat.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Link to protein sources. Got these sources from a girl even!!! :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I personally like to get my calories and macros from real food whenever possible, but supplements can be easier sometimes... I have never heard of protein shakes causing weight issues after stopping.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It's just a supplement to help you get more protein in yout diet. That's it.
    It does nothing more!

You won't lose because of it

you won't gain because you stop it

you won't bulk because of it

If you need more protein and can't get it from food it's for you.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It does nothing more!

Every darn thing this fine lady just said.
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Make sure you only drink one's with pink lables, the pink lables don't hurt our delicate feminine hands. Also, being afraid of eating too much protein or even lifting weights and 'bulking up' is the same as refusing to drive a car because you don't want to drive in Nascar. Protein is the same thing as sugar/carb, fiber, fat... it is a compenent you are already eating in one form or another. People who have a more catered nutrition plan - besides a goal of being under a magic number - look for content and not just tally. Search Protein in the search > at the top... and you will be enlightened.

Answer to your question... do you need to drink them? We wouldn't know.
  • Felipe20
    Felipe20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, protein shakes are simply protein in powdered form. Make sure you are consuming the right amount of protein, carbs and fats (healthy) ... its all part of a complete diet.

Stay golden pony girl.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Are Girls Protein shakes Pink then?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    As a girl, can I drink protein shakes? I heard they help you lose weight but I also heard once you stop drinking them you gain weight. I don't know. I'm not trying to "bulk up" at all and I eat chicken/salmon everyday so I'm not sure if I would even need a protein shake, but I'm just wondering. Would protein shakes aid weight loss or cause weight gain during/after?

I think you're getting confused with steroids. Protein is not gender specific and perfectly safe to help bump up your protein consumption.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you eat well nutritionally you don't actually need protein shakes. I spoke to qualified people and every single one of them say that protein shakes are just a marketing strategy.

also there is a danger of gaining weight if you are not using the shakes properly. I only occasionally use protein shakes.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

also shakes a danger of gaining weight if you are not using the shakes properly.
    Define properly?

You mean drinking them in conjunction with eating too much? Sure. Protein shakes and a calorie deficit are no different than cake, salad, fruit and a calorie deficit. There's no magical property that makes you gain by drinking them.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are food.

I think you're confusing them with steroids.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    It does nothing more!

+1

I have a protein shake everyday, sometimes 2 if I haven't met my macros!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It does nothing more!

Every darn thing this fine lady just said.

I second (er, third, I guess) this. I don't eat meat, just fish, and it's hard for me to get my protein every day in college. Eggs are great, but I can only tolerate small amounts of soy and beans. I have a whey protein shake (with fruits + veggies for a meal or just with milk for a snack) usually once a day, and it lets me meet my macros :D
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    It does nothing more!

+1

I have a protein shake everyday, sometimes 2 if I haven't met my macros!

^^YES^^
  • cindyrooney39
    cindyrooney39 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning, I just find it easy for me. I have never been a breakfast person. I load mine up with frozen fruit, spinach, flax and hemp, also coconut milk. Pretty hefty in the calories almost 400, but I'm still losing and feel good.
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It does nothing more!

^^^ Truth
  • Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are great! I drink them usually after a workout and I feel my whole body brighten up due to the replenishment of nutrients I'd lost. Like everyone else said, protein is needed, it is good for you, it doesn't create muscles, and some of them taste really good!

Don't get sugary ones or ones high in carbs and fats. I drink Premier Protein shakes in Vanilla. I like their chocolate ones too. They are 160 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, 4 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fat and 30 grams of protein. They also have about 370mg of sodium and over 400mg of potassium. It does NOT leave that disgusting powdery taste in your mouth either!

They're sold at costcos.